Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Najdorf (Read 3400 times)
AmateurDragoneer

Re: Najdorf
Reply #4 - 10/20/03 at 14:14:29
Post Tools
There is an old Fischer-Geller game with the Poisoned Pawn that is analyzed by (the opening analyst everyone loves to hate!) Eric Schiller in "Standard Chess Openings" where he states that although Fischer loses, he completely outplays Geller. That might be a game of interest. In addition, 9. Nb3 is an offbeat try given some good coverage in NCO. Either way, if Black is well prepared, he should have no problem grabbing the pawn and staying even and White's compensation should, at best, be enough to equalize.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #3 - 10/19/03 at 23:54:17
Post Tools
Quite honestly I believe the rise in popularity of 6.Be3 (and further interest in other systems) is significantly due to White's inability to find an advantage against the Poison Pawn Variation.  I know Harding (not too sure how long ago) devoted his column on Chesscafe.com to the topic of White's chances in this line.

IP Logged

Ilikethedragon
YaBB Newbies

Chesspublishing .com is
great!

Reply #2 - 07/19/03 at 12:08:42
Post Tools
Thanks for your input. Grin

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #1 - 07/19/03 at 08:30:30
Post Tools
I think at this moment in time theory suggests that black can grab the pawn if he's careful. But by the time you read this an improvement will probably be found on move 37 for white changing the whole assessment of the variation for the 1000th time.

Still, I'd rather play white anyway. It depends on whether you like to attack or get torn apart  Grin

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Ilikethedragon
YaBB Newbies

Chesspublishing .com is
great!

Najdorf
07/03/03 at 17:58:22
Post Tools
In the Poison Pawn variation of the Najdorf after 9.Rb1 Qa3 what plans should white have?  Who is said to be better?  Even if you just read this please respond in some way.  Thanks so much for everyone's input.   Grin 8) Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo