Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Yugoslav: 9. Bc4 Nxd4 10. Bxd4 Be6 (Read 10193 times)
Scholar
God Member

Yugoslav: 9. Bc4 Nxd4 10. Bxd4 Be6
04/30/04 at 19:18:16
Post Tools
With the Chinese dragon surging in popularity, the Bc4 lines no longer seem to be in need of the odd sideline, but I've recently been drawn to looking at this move anyway.  At the very least it makes a rude gesture to the Bc4 player who thought that White had wrested control of the a2-g8 diagonal for his own bishop.

This line is old and somewhat discredited, it appears from looking at Ward's comments, but I was wondering whether it might be better than its reputation.  Specifically, I have been looking at Black playing Qa5 and an early Bxb3.

For example, after 9. Bc4 Nxd4 10. Bxd4 Be6

11. Bb3 is often given as best and play might continue Qa5 12. O-O-O Bxb3 13. cxb3 Rfc8 14. Kb1 will have to come sooner or later Rc6

And by throwing in a quick ...e6 I think that Black's chances are quite nice.  The pawn on b3 doesn't offer much additional security to the White queenside, and Black has gained enough tempi to make an assault on his own king fairly difficult to arrange.

For example, some randomly generated moves might continue:

15. g4 e6 16. h4 b5 17. h5 b4 18. Ne2 Ra6 (Rf8!?) 19. Nc1 Rc8

and things are about equal.  I was mainly wondering whether there were specific tactical or strategic reasons why Black can't play this way.  I understand the general concern about needing sufficient momentum on the queenside, but it most of the lines that I've been looking at, it seems that Black has enough to go on.  At any rate, I'm interested in hearing any opinions on this.

One remark is that 11. Bxe6 gives the game a different character, but opening the file to the rook on f8 and securing d5 are the typical reasons why Black is said to have compensation...but these lines may actually be where a refutation lies.
« Last Edit: 05/07/04 at 18:29:10 by Scholar »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo