Latest Updates:
Normal Topic QGD, typical position (Read 2209 times)
Peter Kitchen

Re: QGD, typical position
Reply #1 - 06/17/04 at 06:49:27
Post Tools
On seeing the moves a6 and c6 played and white exchanging on d5, I could not help but remember the infamous Rubinstein-Tackacs game, where black was basically helplessly awaiting his doom for around 30 moves.

The move a6 is the one i take issue with; h6 is perfectly acceptable, although as you say in your post c6 first is a good idea. There is simply no need for a6 when c6 does a similar job.

While i don't believe this is theoretically sound, against your friend you could try a4 to stop his plan of gaining space on the queenside with b5. Usually it is white who tries to advance on the queenside with the minority attack led by b4.

I'm not the best pwrson to comment, but my one piece of advice is to be wary of the term "typical QGD position". In this opening many positions appear very similar, but their evaluation is determined by nuances in the respective pawn structures.

IP Logged

kevinludwig

I love ChessPublishing.com!

QGD, typical position
06/17/04 at 01:24:04
Post Tools
I researched (NCO) a line of the QGD that goes:

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. e3 Nbd7 6. Nf3 0-0 7. Rc1 h6 8. Bh4 a6 9. cxd5 exd5 10. Bd3 c6 11. 0-0 Ne4 12. Bxe7 Qxe7 13. Bxe4 dxe4 14. Nd2 f5 15. d5! +=.

A friend of mine, who plays the QGD quite a bit, said that this is "a typical position" that is "basically equal." Does this sound like the right assessment? What about the same position but with black NOT playing h6 and a6, for instance after 7. ...c6, White can aim for the same position with 8. cxd5. Is this the right way to go? My understanding of the position is that white is going to make every possible useful move before developing the light square bishop, because black will just reply dxc4. When white has run out of useful moves he just plays into a sort of delayed exchange variation, with cxd5. Is that a correct summary of this variation? Is there a way for white to play for more, by playing Bd3, and allowing the sequence dxc4, Bxc4? It seems that when I have played this in blitz, my friend is just able to play b5, Bb7, Rc8, Nc5, etc. with a good/better(?) game. Am I missing something, or is entering into this particular line a bad idea for white?

Also, can anyone outline some of the normal plans, & typical variations that result after 15. d5! (original variation).

Thanks,

Kevin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo