Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C30-C39 C33: The Fascinating King's Gambit (Read 117964 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: The Fascinating King's Gambit
Reply #22 - 01/31/05 at 04:56:02
Post Tools
So, has anyone, except me, seen the book yet?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #21 - 01/30/05 at 21:34:23
Post Tools
3. Bc4 is a strong move, probably better than 3. Nf3.   My most promising student, now age thirteen, has been playing this way for the past several years, always with good chances for White.  We have prepared exensive notes on this system, but it's a great bonus to have this very interesting book.

The very best thing about the KG is that, unlike so many gambits, it is positionally well-founded.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #20 - 01/27/05 at 05:27:30
Post Tools
Thanks for the reply TalJechin.  That's true, there are plenty of dodgy books churned out by titled players.

I wasn't suggesting yours was like this, I had just never heard of you or seen any of your previous work.

Anyway, I am seriously considering buying your book - it sounds very appealing to have an all purpose reply to 1...e5

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #19 - 01/26/05 at 08:45:53
Post Tools
Johansson's first book on the KG was good. My impression is, that his book on the Bishop's Gambit is even better; more than one step forward in developing theory.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #18 - 01/26/05 at 07:34:52
Post Tools
Quote:
I have now just noticed this thread about this book with 3.Bc4.  Is this the move that makes the KG playable?  Does this mean that I don't have to worry about the Petroff, Philidor or Latvian Gambit anymore?  I don't mind the Spanish.

I don't know the author, is this book worth buying?  I know there are a lot of dodgy books out there with bad analysis by untitled players.  By reading the posts here it looks as if this is a quality book, but any help would be appreciated.

In short:

1) Yes (though 3.Nf3 is certainly playable, but with some forced draws if black is very well informed and wants a draw.)

2) Yes

3) You can either make up your own mind from  the sample pages, or wait for the reviewers and/or the readers here to share their views. 

Btw, there are plenty of dodgy books by titled players too...  Sad

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #17 - 01/26/05 at 06:43:03
Post Tools
Hi all,

I have never even considered playing the King's Gambit.  I thought it was now considered to give black a slight advantage or at least no problems.  I think I saw a few games in the last couple of years by Shirov maybe that seemed to say the KG was bad.

I have now just noticed this thread about this book with 3.Bc4.  Is this the move that makes the KG playable?  Does this mean that I don't have to worry about the Petroff, Philidor or Latvian Gambit anymore?  I don't mind the Spanish.

I don't know the author, is this book worth buying?  I know there are a lot of dodgy books out there with bad analysis by untitled players.  By reading the posts here it looks as if this is a quality book, but any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #16 - 01/26/05 at 04:23:06
Post Tools
McGrew takes a look at the Bishop's Gambit in his latest column. He doesn't seem to be aware of my book, so could it be that the stars are just right for C33 at moment?  Wink

http://www.chesscafe.com/mcgrew/mcgrew.htm

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #15 - 01/22/05 at 20:31:22
Post Tools
Yes.  The threads at chesstalk have been especially colorful lately, though I've never come across such antics, myself...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #14 - 01/22/05 at 11:47:29
Post Tools
Thanks for the info, I had never heard of Robert D. Zuk before!

Duncan Suttles is an old favourite though, and the Canadian site chesstalk of course! - It's amazing how many incredible occurences there seem to be in Canadian chess - there are probably as many on the Swedish chess scene, but here it's never discussed on the internet... which may be both a good and a bad thing I suppose.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #13 - 01/22/05 at 11:01:22
Post Tools
TalJechin: If you want to win the good graces of your Canadian readers, you are going to have to familiarize yourself with Canadian chess lore!   Wink

Bob Zuk was a strong master from British Columbia, who, in the early 1970s swept through the strongest American players in the Pacific Northwest, playing 120 consecutive games without a loss.  Legend has it, the streak also included a 40-game stretch without a draw!  While the Pacific Northwest wasn't exactly the capital of chess strength, it's still a pretty remarkable feat.  I believe that Zuk still plays occasionally in Vancouver.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #12 - 01/22/05 at 04:09:50
Post Tools
Well, since the book is printed in Canada, it may already be a base for a (book) storm of the US! Wink

Btw, what is a 'Zuk winter'??  ???

Btw2, the sales page is finally up, with a sample from the book and all - but keep in mind that the pics have been reduced in size considerably, which makes the text just readable...

http://www.trafford.com/robots/04-2455.html

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

you know, you know

Reply #11 - 01/21/05 at 17:50:26
Post Tools
Rather than relying on saddish Canadian opening names, you could use Canada as a base to storm the US and impose a few "Zuk winters" on American players (maybe a prouder Canadian chess tradition...)

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #10 - 01/21/05 at 15:00:44
Post Tools
Sure, Canada counts but the only opening names that I can think that originated there are, "The Great Snake", "Rat", and "Big Clamp".  So make sure the name you choose has the right artistic essence.  Smiley

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #9 - 01/21/05 at 14:37:48
Post Tools
Seems my book is having some real impact without even being read! Cheesy

Flattered as I am, I don't think there's any need for a name change... Anyway, I don't think that will be enough reason for me to move to the US, but would Canada count too? - Then I might consider it! Wink

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #8 - 01/21/05 at 13:13:32
Post Tools
Quote:
Alumbrado wrote,
"...from someone who is seriously considering taking up the King's Gambit   Shocked ")

No doubt Alumbrado is drawing his inspiration from Johansson's recent book on the Bishop's Gambit and declined variations.  I had been all set to switch to 1.d4 but after seeing just the table of contents I've decided to stay with my old favorite 1.e4.  Can't wait for the book to get here.

By the way, I've already got the official paperwork ready.  Should Thomas move to the US we're set to rename the Bishop's Gambit the Johannson-TalJechin (or some variation thereof) Gambit.   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo