Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C30-C39 C33: The Fascinating King's Gambit (Read 251891 times)
Jonathan Tait
God Member

Re: The Fascinating King's Gambit
Reply #241 - 07/12/06 at 09:47:09
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 07/12/06 at 09:43:20:
Well, if you never look for an advantage how would you know if it's there or not?!  Wink

through hundreds of wasted hours looking for one Wink

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #240 - 07/12/06 at 09:43:20
Post Tools
Quote:
I have this book Smiley

but I prefer your earlier one Thomas.

Mainly because such in depth analysis, although admirable, is a bit irrelevant in the King's Gambit I think. There is no advantage to be found for White in the King's Gambit, so looking for one is ultimately a depressing endeavour. It's much more pertinent just to find little ideas, things to try out in actual games and have fun. Analysing them in depth rather defeats the point I think.

Well, if you never look for an advantage how would you know if it's there or not?!  Wink

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #239 - 07/11/06 at 15:05:30
Post Tools
I have this book Smiley

but I prefer your earlier one Thomas.

Mainly because such in depth analysis, although admirable, is a bit irrelevant in the King's Gambit I think. There is no advantage to be found for White in the King's Gambit, so looking for one is ultimately a depressing endeavour. It's much more pertinent just to find little ideas, things to try out in actual games and have fun. Analysing them in depth rather defeats the point I think.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #238 - 04/15/06 at 02:30:49
Post Tools
Finallty the FKG is also available in The Netherlands:

http://www.debestezet.nl/

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #237 - 03/19/06 at 17:59:19
Post Tools
Thomas Stock had an interesting site on gambits a few years back. But it has disappeared into an electronic Walhalla without leaving a trace. This site contained interesting information on the Kings Gambit , especially the Muzio.... He tried both to trace the history of this variation, provide new analysis and organised email-thema-tournaments. Most of the games of these tournaments have been saved by Tim Harding on his Mega-Correspondence-CD.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #236 - 03/18/06 at 15:04:30
Post Tools
Quote:
Dear all,

It seems to me from the lines given above and even from the absence of lines given by TJ (Qe2? but where?), that he made the right choice when writing about the Bishop Gambit.

Regards,
                                                                               Hubert

Well, by now I thought everyone here knew my site, with all it's weird colours and pop-ups - but I suppose there will always be someone lagging behind the rest of the class...  Wink

So, here's a direct link to the KG section of my site (most of the stuff there has been there for years...) - click on 'No Bust' for Levin's Qe2 idea, and as said above: be prepared for a few pop ups and ghastly colour choices. And if the diagrams should look weird, try updating the frame with the article.

http://hem.passagen.se/tjmisha/kg_index.html

IP Logged

Uberdeker(Guest)

Reply #235 - 03/18/06 at 13:03:32
Post Tools
Dear all,

It seems to me from the lines given above and even from the absence of lines given by TJ (Qe2? but where?), that he made the right choice when writing about the Bishop Gambit.

Regards,
                                                                               Hubert

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #234 - 03/17/06 at 19:10:04
Post Tools
On my site I have an article on an idea of Levin's, an early Qe2 iirc. Other than that, I don't worry about 3...d6 anymore...  Smiley

Actually, I had a game in Hastings 2003 that went similarly to the Fischer main line via the Bishop's Gambit - but with the nice difference that instead of the non moves Ng1-f3-g1 I got both d4 and Nc3 in. Wink

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #233 - 03/17/06 at 16:56:44
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 03/17/06 at 01:35:36:
.5.d4 g5 5.h4 g4 6.Ng1 is the most popular variation, but I don't think I can recommend it......because I've come to feel that it's against the spirit of the King's Gambit."
I fully agree with the second part of this statement and have always found 4.Nc3 interesting: g5 5.d4 or if a draw is not really a problem 5.h4.

I fully agree with TJ & MNb's sentiments. Its precisely because of this that is really tempting me to get both the Creative Aggressor & the FKG......to either learn alternative lines against the Fischer defense or to avoid it altogether by learning to play 3.Bc4 instead. TJ's recommendation of 5.b3 is my preference to 5.d3 as the latter looks  somewhat tame (psychological block p'haps, since ive always hated playing d3 moves as white in other openings. ive always believed in the e4-d4 pawn ctr)

I wonder if TJ has any other new ideas against the Fischer defense since the creative aggressor.....I would be interested to know them. MNb's 4.Nc3 looks interesting too.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

photophore

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #232 - 03/17/06 at 16:10:16
Post Tools
In Fischer Defence
1 e4 e5
2 f4 exf4
3 Nf3 d6
4 d4 g5
5 h4 g4
instead of 6 Ng1 , you have the Attila Gambit 6 Bxf4 gxf3 7 Qxf3
I don't know whether it's sound , and I did not play it myself , but I made it play by my chess engines ,, and I got some brillancy prizes

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #231 - 03/17/06 at 01:35:36
Post Tools
In his 1998 book the KG for the Creative Aggressor TJ recommended 3.Nf3 d6 4.Bc4 h6 and now either 5.b3 or 5.d3.
"By the way, 5.d4 g5 5.h4 g4 6.Ng1 is the most popular variation, but I don't think I can recommend it. Partly because I have a horrendous score in it myself and partly because I've come to feel that it's against the spirit of the King's Gambit."
I fully agree with the second part of this statement and have always found 4.Nc3 interesting: g5 5.d4 or if a draw is not really a problem 5.h4.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Uberderker(Guest)

Reply #230 - 03/16/06 at 14:08:45
Post Tools
Dear Craig,

I was not aware that TalJechin's book covered only the Bishop Gambit. But this probably White's best attempt (at dynamic equilibrium in any case!), so it's a good subject choice.
As regards the From, I must say I'm naturally sceptical of early gambits in general, but I thought this was a good reaction to 1.f4 and superior to the Stauton Gambit
(1. d4 f5 ; 2. e4) since Black's development is rather fluid and to the point after 2. ...d6.
But I must admit I never bothered to analyse it, and I'd be very grateful if you would spare me the effort and share your knowledge.
Perhaps you could start a thread in the Flank Opening section.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
                                                                                      Hubert

IP Logged

CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #229 - 03/16/06 at 13:03:37
Post Tools
I could be wrong here, but doesn't the Fischer Gambit arise after 3.Nf3 d6 4.d4 g5? Since TalJechin's book is based on a repertoire which is centered on the Bishop's Gambit (3.Bc4), I doubt that there are any transpositions to this line. I'm sure he will kindly give you his opinion anyway, however.  Wink

On an off-topic note, as Tim Taylor quite nicely shows in his Bird book, From's Gambit is under quite a bit of a cloud in most variations. It's quite amusing however, that I've played 1.f4 twice, knowing that my opponent plays 1...e5 so I could meet it with 2.f4.

Best wishes,
Craig

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Uberdeker(Guest)

Reply #228 - 03/16/06 at 12:50:25
Post Tools
Dear TalJechin,

I play the From Gambit, partly in order to get the chance to face the KG while avoiding other 1. e4 e5 stuff, so your book may be of some interest to me.
  What is your recommendation against the testing Fischer Defence, in particular the 6. ...f5!? line? Do you have any improvements on McDonald's analysis?

Regards,
                                                                 U. D.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #227 - 03/14/06 at 17:28:40
Post Tools
Well, thanks for the confidence in me, but I've already had one KG group 6-7 years ago and we didn't reach many conclusions and dissolved after 1-2 years.

This forum works very well for all openings I think so why start a group on just one opening? Besides, there's already at least one google (or was it yahoo?) group dedicated to the KG on the net...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo