Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C30-C39 C33: The Fascinating King's Gambit (Read 251890 times)
Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: The Fascinating King's Gambit
Reply #31 - 02/01/05 at 17:37:23
Post Tools
GM Emil Sutovsky recently played this variation against Nisipeanu. In New In Chess Magazine issue 7/2004 he comments the game. Here are the first few moves:
1.e4 d6 2.Nc3 e5 (2...c5 is a closed Sicilian or open but White chooses!; 2...Nf6 3.d4 e5 is more Philidor stuff, but White can play 3.f4!? when 3...e5 is a KG declined and 3...c5 a Sicilian Grand Prix, but Black has missed out on the Tal gambit as well as ...e6 and ...d5 lines)
3.f4! exf4 4.Bc4 Now it is a Bishop's gambit.
Sutovsky (as did IM Lawrence Day who played 4.d4 in this position) dislikes 4.Nf3 which he claims leads to a bad version of the classical gambit (Fischer defence). Actually this is not so, but let's just leave people thinking that and score a few easy points (Btw this demonstrates clearly that even GMs are oblivious to recent theory as ling as it has not been in Informator or the week in chess).
4...Qh4 5.Kf1 Be6 6.Qe2! This also occurred in Fischer-Evans, USA 1963. After Fischer had "refuted" the King's gambit...food for thought.

On another note I read McGrew's recent column and was very disappointed. I tried to contact him and ask if there was going to be a follow-up to the article with the real games, so far without luck.
Anyway he examines the line 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Bc4 Nf6 (or 3...c6 4.Nc3 Nf6 though he doesn't indicate that these lines are analogous) 4...c6! and now:
5.e5?, 5.Qe2 and 5.Qf3 while in fact White's only playable moves are 5.d4 and 5.Bb3!   Angry

TalJechin, I sure hope your book arrives soon!!

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #30 - 02/01/05 at 10:54:37
Post Tools
Well, a few years ago Kasparov managed to trick me with that 1...d6 idea... Wink

So in the chapter on tricky transpositions I recommend 2.Nc3 to avoid the Philidor as 2...e5 3.f4 would still be a KG. Play usually end up in an Austrian Attack or a Closed Sicilian. But it also frequently enters the great unknown...

Btw, it was Sergej Kasparov, an IM from Belorussia, not GK. Grin

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #29 - 02/01/05 at 08:58:46
Post Tools
Lest that last post appear somewhat churlish, cutting out the Petroff, the Latvian, the Elephant etc. as well as not having to learn something good against 2...Nc6, is already a worthwhile achievement!

Personally, though, I would rather play the main lines of the Philidor than that endgame.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #28 - 02/01/05 at 08:55:15
Post Tools
Incidentally, The King asked earlier "does this mean I don't have to worry about the ... Philidor ...?", to which TalJechin replies that this is indeed the case.

Not necessarily true, though, as White still has to worry about 1.e4 d6 2.d4 e5!? and 2...Nf6 3.Nc3 e5!?, when there is an argument that White's best replies are 3. and 4.Nf3 respectively, transposing to the Philidor.

Of course, it is also possible to argue that White should chop on e5 and d8 and try to win the endgame (and he does undeniably have a slight plus), but I am not sure this is the way most KG-eers will wish to go ...

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #27 - 02/01/05 at 06:14:41
Post Tools
Thanks Vieto!  Cheesy

Not much to do about the cover, it's probably not only because the cover is thin since it's also very wide...

IP Logged

Vieto
YaBB Newbies

Arriba!

Reply #26 - 02/01/05 at 03:44:02
Post Tools
I received my copies yesterday, it's a very good book with a lot of original analysis as expected!  Smiley
My only remark is about the cover quality : it's very thin and doesn't put back correctly when you close the book.
But this doesn't change the quality of the analysis, very good job TalJechin!  Wink

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #25 - 01/31/05 at 19:57:45
Post Tools
I received an email from Trafford that my book had been shipped on Jan.25th.  Should be here any day now.  Probably will arrive at the same time as my new super-computer and team of grandmasters I've paying to disect the analysis in the book.  On second thought they can buy their own book and I can't afford another computer.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #24 - 01/31/05 at 07:23:12
Post Tools
Can't remember when I ordered it, but allowing for printing and delivery I seem to remember estimating it would arrive first week of February, so fingers crossed ...

IP Logged

Vieto
YaBB Newbies

Arriba!

Reply #23 - 01/31/05 at 05:54:45
Post Tools
2 copies ordered the 13/01, not yet received  Cry

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #22 - 01/31/05 at 04:56:02
Post Tools
So, has anyone, except me, seen the book yet?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #21 - 01/30/05 at 21:34:23
Post Tools
3. Bc4 is a strong move, probably better than 3. Nf3.   My most promising student, now age thirteen, has been playing this way for the past several years, always with good chances for White.  We have prepared exensive notes on this system, but it's a great bonus to have this very interesting book.

The very best thing about the KG is that, unlike so many gambits, it is positionally well-founded.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #20 - 01/27/05 at 05:27:30
Post Tools
Thanks for the reply TalJechin.  That's true, there are plenty of dodgy books churned out by titled players.

I wasn't suggesting yours was like this, I had just never heard of you or seen any of your previous work.

Anyway, I am seriously considering buying your book - it sounds very appealing to have an all purpose reply to 1...e5

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #19 - 01/26/05 at 08:45:53
Post Tools
Johansson's first book on the KG was good. My impression is, that his book on the Bishop's Gambit is even better; more than one step forward in developing theory.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #18 - 01/26/05 at 07:34:52
Post Tools
Quote:
I have now just noticed this thread about this book with 3.Bc4.  Is this the move that makes the KG playable?  Does this mean that I don't have to worry about the Petroff, Philidor or Latvian Gambit anymore?  I don't mind the Spanish.

I don't know the author, is this book worth buying?  I know there are a lot of dodgy books out there with bad analysis by untitled players.  By reading the posts here it looks as if this is a quality book, but any help would be appreciated.

In short:

1) Yes (though 3.Nf3 is certainly playable, but with some forced draws if black is very well informed and wants a draw.)

2) Yes

3) You can either make up your own mind from  the sample pages, or wait for the reviewers and/or the readers here to share their views. 

Btw, there are plenty of dodgy books by titled players too...  Sad

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #17 - 01/26/05 at 06:43:03
Post Tools
Hi all,

I have never even considered playing the King's Gambit.  I thought it was now considered to give black a slight advantage or at least no problems.  I think I saw a few games in the last couple of years by Shirov maybe that seemed to say the KG was bad.

I have now just noticed this thread about this book with 3.Bc4.  Is this the move that makes the KG playable?  Does this mean that I don't have to worry about the Petroff, Philidor or Latvian Gambit anymore?  I don't mind the Spanish.

I don't know the author, is this book worth buying?  I know there are a lot of dodgy books out there with bad analysis by untitled players.  By reading the posts here it looks as if this is a quality book, but any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo