Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C30-C39 C33: The Fascinating King's Gambit (Read 252880 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: The Fascinating King's Gambit
Reply #46 - 02/05/05 at 20:37:31
Post Tools
Usually modesty is not very characteristic for me. When Thomas announced about a year ago, that he was going to write the book on the Bishop's Gambit, I was very enthousiastic. It fills a gap in my library. So I have done my best to keep the fire burning during the writing process - unregarding the question if that was necessary.
So I have bombed our poor Swede several months with questions and suggestions. Regular readers of this site know what that means: a lot of nonsense and now and then something sensible. Thomas still had to check all of it. It is very understandable, that somewhere in september he simply stopped the debate; otherwise the book would have suffered from a severe delay.
The nice thing about my contribution is, that Thomas is responsible for my stupidities. That is a very comfortable position!

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #45 - 02/05/05 at 15:12:03
Post Tools
Just ordered my copy and looking forward to transposing to the King's Gambit (especially the Fascinating one--Wink) after 1 f4 e5.

What lines--accepted or declined--seem to give White the most difficulty these days?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #44 - 02/05/05 at 05:14:53
Post Tools
Hi Glenn, thanks for pointing out ...Qb6+, will take long look at this to try and find out if I ignored it for a reason or just missed that this 'Patzer' manouevre isn't bad. Though I still find it hard to believe that Qe6+-b6+ should be the best black can do after Nc3...  Undecided

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #43 - 02/04/05 at 20:38:10
Post Tools
TFKG offers a transposition to the main line Modern after, 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Bc4 d5 4.Bxd5! Nf6 5.Nf3 Nxd5 6.exd5 Qxd5 7.Nc3!.  This position also happens to be recommended for Black in Kaufman's "The Chess Advantage in Black and White" on page 352.  Black has various possible queen moves but Kaufman recommends 7...Qe6+.  Johannson writes, "7...Qe6?!+ is hardly worth taking seriously...", but a much stronger eighth move, after 8.Kf2, is given by Kaufman.  So after, 7...Qe6!?+ 8.Kf2 Qb6+ 9.d4 Be6 10.Re1 Be7 11.Bxf4, 11...Nc6 is given as an improvement on 11...c6 which ended in a draw.  Several more moves are given, and if I'm reading the last line correctly then I believe Kaufman is stating that Black has an advantage.  I think 10.Qe2!? is a stronger move than 10.Re1 after which I think both sides must play carefully.  White seems to be marginally better in Fritz analysis (which actually rates it as =).  Anyway, I was curious to see what others thought.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #42 - 02/04/05 at 02:40:32
Post Tools
My copy arrived yesterday  Grin

Sadly, I was too late home from work yesterday to give it more than a cursory glance (and another one at 6.30am today before coming back to the office  Sad )

But ... I think I am going to be able to spend pretty much the whole w/e looking at it, so I may have some comments and questions (as a relative KG novice) in a few days' time ...

Incidentally, I couldn't help noticing, even on a cursory glance, that appearing in the acknowledgments and dotted throughout the book, are references to a certain Mark Nieuweboer in Surinam ... who has thus far been characteristically modest about his contribution ...

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #41 - 02/04/05 at 00:05:09
Post Tools
Received my copy on just yesterday (2-2-05).  A wonderfully thorough book.  I think the $36.00 price is fully justified for as much original analysis the book contains (and as Thomas has mentioned, someone who doesn't play the KG but plays 1...e5 is unlikely to fork out the dough just to make sure his defense to the KG holds).  I do have one analytical question concerning a variation analyzed in another book, but I think I'll wait till some more people get their orders in.  (perhaps Alumbrado and Dragonslayer have their copies by now?)

IP Logged

Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #40 - 02/03/05 at 10:48:01
Post Tools
Quote:
Well, he does mention that they transpose, which hardly needs saying as it is rather obvious isn't it?

You're right but McGrew writes 3...c6! as if it is better than 3...Nf6 4.Nc3 c6. Maybe he thinks White's 4th move alternatives after 3...Nf6 (4.d3 etc.) are better than 4.Nc3 and can be avoided with the move-order 3...c6.
After 3...c6 there is also 4.Nc3 Qh4+ 5.Kf1 f3 to consider.

Quote:
Actually, I think 5.Nf3 is also playable as is 4.d3 and to my surprise even 5.Qf3, thanks to an unexpected transposition... (and no, I don't mean 5...d5 6.exd5 Bd6 7.Qe2+.)

I forgot to mention 5.Nf3 since it probably transposes to the Knight's gambit (1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 d5 4.exd5 Nf6 5.Bc4 c6 6.Nc3 and can also be reached through a Nimzowitsch cg move-order or the unusual 2...exf4 3.Nf3 c6) after 5...d5 6.exd5 which is good for White. I suppose (just analyzing blindfolded here) that Black can also play 5...Bb4.

4.d3 seems drawish to me even if the Polgar sisters played it regularly.

Look forward to discover the transposition after 5.Qf3 when I get your book  Wink

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #39 - 02/03/05 at 05:29:04
Post Tools
Yes, Na5 or Bb4 would be some kind of Bishop's Opening, though I think most KGeers wouldn't mind that too much.

And yes, the tricky Transposers chapter is 99% about black trying to trick white into a King's Knight Gambit, and sometimes white should allow this - after 2...Nf6 3.Nf3 I take a long look at the Shallopp defence 3...exf4 4.e5 Nh5 - which you hopefully will see for yourself some day soon... Wink

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #38 - 02/03/05 at 05:15:17
Post Tools
Well, the "problem" is that Black can play 1.e4 Nc6 2.Nc3 e5 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d3 Na5 or 4...Bb4.

There is no reason why you should cover any of this in your book: you would be quite justified in only dealing with the position after 1.e4 e5 2.f4 - I just wondered if, since you had a chapter on "tricky transpositions", this was one of them ...

Maybe one day, eventually, I will get to find out first hand ...  Undecided

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #37 - 02/03/05 at 04:59:06
Post Tools
Yes, but 1.e4 Nc6 2.Nc3 e5 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d3 and 5.f4 seems like an OK Classical KGD. But I suppose alumbrado is right - there must be some way for black to avoid a KG! Cheesy

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #36 - 02/02/05 at 20:14:48
Post Tools
I would not advise 1.e4 Nc6 2.Nc3 e5 3.f4 as it is not sensible to play the Bishop's Gambit exf4 4.Bc4 here: Qh4+ 5.Kf1 Bc5!

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #35 - 02/02/05 at 11:45:27
Post Tools
Did you choose the absolutely slowest shipment alternative? ???  Even my bunch of books arrived today! Cheesy

After 1.e4 Nc6, why not play 2.Nc3 here too? Btw, when Miles played the Sigeman tournament, i think the game Hector-Miles went 1.e4 Nc6 2.Nc3 - during the dinner after the tournament I asked Miles if he'd've played 2...d5 or 2...e5 if Johnny had tried 2.f4 - which gave him a good laugh...

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #34 - 02/02/05 at 09:52:05
Post Tools
My copy of the book has still not arrived Sad

If black plays 1...Nc6!? is there a clever way to try to drag Black into KG lines?  2.f4?! d5! looks as if it might be good for Black to me, while 2.Bc4 Nf6 is also tricky ...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #33 - 02/01/05 at 20:09:58
Post Tools
I just wanted to remark, that RJ Fischer only busted the King's Knight Gambit. After publishing his famous article he realised that White has an improvement on move 3.
When a certain Kasparov signed in for a swiss tournament somewhere in The Netherlands, the organizers paniced, as they were not prepared to give him proper accomodation. Were they relieved, when they learned his first name - Sergey.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #32 - 02/01/05 at 18:14:41
Post Tools
Quote:
TalJechin, I sure hope your book arrives soon!!

So do I, so do I! Cheesy

Quote:
Anyway he examines the line 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Bc4 Nf6 (or 3...c6 4.Nc3 Nf6 though he doesn't indicate that these lines are analogous) 4...c6!

Well, he does mention that they transpose, which hardly needs saying as it is rather obvious isn't it?

Quote:
5.e5?, 5.Qe2 and 5.Qf3 while in fact White's only playable moves are 5.d4 and 5.Bb3!

Actually, I think 5.Nf3 is also playable as is 4.d3 and to my surprise even 5.Qf3, thanks to an unexpected transposition... (and no, I don't mean 5...d5 6.exd5 Bd6 7.Qe2+.)
« Last Edit: 02/02/05 at 03:22:53 by TalJechin »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo