Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Good endgame books (Read 39920 times)
TimS

Re: Good endgame books
Reply #34 - 01/25/08 at 10:27:47
Post Tools
James Vigus wrote on 01/25/08 at 09:18:59:
Anyone tried the new series of endgame books by Pinter - 50,000,000 queen endings, etc? Are they interesting?

They don't seem to have been of much interest to a reviewer at BCM - he or she lists them as rook endings!:
"The Hungarian grandmaster has collected 1,000 rook endings and presented them six to a page ..."

IP Logged

James Vigus

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 01/25/08 at 09:18:59
Post Tools
Jonathan Speelman's new endgame column in British Chess Magazine is, not surprisingly, quite a mine of information. He mentioned recently that the endgame tablebases (i.e. perfect play for any position with 5 - is it? - pieces or fewer) are freely available on shredderchess.com. He also mentioned Znosko-Borovsky's How to Play Chess Endings (Dover reprint 1974), which is indeed a fascinating and instructive book if you don't mind the descriptive notation. One advantage of studying old examples of endings is - in those days the players had enough time to play them properly! Admittedly you could probably find plenty of analytical mistakes with a computer. In the pre-silicon age, I learnt from Hooper's Pocket Guide to Chess Endings (and an audio cassette delivered in Hooper's gravelly tones), then progressed to Keres's Practical Chess Endings, with Chernev, 'Capablanca's Best Chess Endings' for light relief (what Chernev lacks in analytical rigour, he makes up for in charm...). That dates me, doesn't it?!
I really like Speelman and Livshits' book of studies, but I didn't get far enough to encounter serious problems with the typos...
I once reviewed a couple of collections of Cecil Purdy's writings on the endgame. Again, very worthwhile, some unusual material, analysis of practical games, good prose...

Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual is indispensible, I think.

Anyone tried the new series of endgame books by Pinter - 50,000,000 queen endings, etc? Are they interesting?

IP Logged

jarih
YaBB Newbies

Reply #32 - 01/09/08 at 16:09:16
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 10/08/07 at 01:30:37:
Rotgut is exactly right to remind us of the fantastic and fantastically concise endgame book by Averbakh.

I think it's out of print now, but certainly ranks as one of the great endgame books, ...

No it isn't...
http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1040540/Chess-Endings/Product.html

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #31 - 01/09/08 at 02:12:48
Post Tools
Fernando Semprun wrote on 01/08/08 at 20:34:28:
I would love a new Edition of Livshits & Speelman Test Your Endgame Ability.

I wholeheartedly agree! Several years ago I worked through some of the exercises with a group of friends and it was great fun, but when I tried to buy it for myself I couldn't find any bookstore who had it  Cry

I also attended a training session with a GM who warmly recommended the book, but I had to inform him it was out of print.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #30 - 01/08/08 at 20:34:28
Post Tools
I would love a new Edition of Livshits & Speelman Test Your Endgame Ability.

The book is very good, but there were errors in several diagrams and poor analysis in some of the later examples. In the end I gave up with some tests because you were never sure if you couldnot solve it, the diagram was wrong or the solution was wrong too!

But it is an invaluable book. Ah!, also they could expand the little introduction of each chapter?

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #29 - 01/08/08 at 20:29:48
Post Tools
Makarov recent book is VERY good.

Beljiavsky & Mikhalchsin books, although OK, are full of analytical errors. In fact, the second book in the series mentioned some of these...(of the first)

Karsten Muller book on pawn endings was EXCELLENT, 13/10, although the acclaimed Fundamental chess Endings has omissions in analysis (some IMPORTANT ONES) and sometimes just mentioned other books to avoid covering certain topics. A pity they did not carry out with minor piece endings, rook endings, etc.., as was surely intended instead of producing the 'Fundamental tome' (Around that time NCO was produced too... Wink )

Emms books are excellent also, although he sometimes lacks the clarity of explanation other authors have achieved.

Dvoretsky is awesome in some places and pedantic beyond redemption in others. He also gives exercises which are solvable mixed with studies that are very difficult, leaving you confused and baffled.

That's typical of him. It costed me dearly to solve a 'simple exercise' of rook vs pawn (leaving me feeling like a patzer) until I discovered that 2 GM's where unable to solve it. A simple exercise, Mr. Dvoretsky?

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #28 - 10/08/07 at 01:30:37
Post Tools
Rotgut is exactly right to remind us of the fantastic and fantastically concise endgame book by Averbakh.

I think it's out of print now, but certainly ranks as one of the great endgame books, especially in the pre-computer era.  Averbakh's own multi-volume endgame series is better if only because of the added depth, but I remember carrying around his slender book to tournaments in case I had a dreaded adjournment.  (Remember those?)

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #27 - 10/07/07 at 23:30:54
Post Tools
I have Just the Facts Second Edition and I think it's pretty instructive as well as easy to follow.

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #26 - 10/05/07 at 19:27:20
Post Tools
No mention of the great  Yuri Averbakh's 'Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge?' This thin little book was and still is fantastic. No fooling around here as Averbakh demands that the student become master of the information contained in these pages!

After intense study of the examples in this work I found myself being able to work through and understand more advanced works by other authors. This book is the foundation upon which I based my entire study of the endgame. Remember one important concept....everything x2  Wink

IP Logged

jeupham

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #25 - 07/29/07 at 17:23:34
Post Tools
Although not books but DVDs I would recommend the two

Romans' Lab : Mastering Chess Series
Volume 8 : Comprehensive Chess Endings , Part 1
Volume 9 : Comprehensive Chess Endings , Part 2

by Roman Dzindzichashvili

as very enjoyable

Also, The DVD series from Susan Polgar give excellent coverage and are well produced.

John

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #24 - 07/03/07 at 17:00:04
Post Tools
senna wrote on 07/03/07 at 01:55:13:
So I've narrowed it down to Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual and Fundamental Chess Endings.

I have a practical question I'd be very pleased if someone could answer for me. I saw on a review that the Dvoretsky's opens flat easily but I haven't heard for FCE. I have arthritis and cumbersome books are a real pain. Thanks much!

It doesnt open flat. Some serious slapping while open helps, but doesnt solve the problem entirely.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #23 - 07/03/07 at 04:54:14
Post Tools
Senna,

Presuming that your arthritis is age related, I would strongly recommend the Dvoretsky book.  Aside from opening rather easily, it has colorful diagrams and notes that makes the important stuff really pop out.

The key differences between these two books is that Muller and Lamprecht's Fundamental Chess Endings tries to be encyclopaedic.  Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual is more pedagogical.  There are fewer examples in the Dvoretsky book, but they tend to be more precious.

If I had to choose between the two (and I didn't) I would buy Dvoretsky's book.  Dvoretsky's book is generally more readable, and is certainly more digestible.

Which ever book you get, I hope you devour it!

IP Logged

senna
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 07/03/07 at 01:55:13
Post Tools
So I've narrowed it down to Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual and Fundamental Chess Endings.

I have a practical question I'd be very pleased if someone could answer for me. I saw on a review that the Dvoretsky's opens flat easily but I haven't heard for FCE. I have arthritis and cumbersome books are a real pain. Thanks much!

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 06/10/07 at 22:53:39
Post Tools
By the way, I bought Dvoretsky on CD a while back but it always crashes. Does anyone else have that problem?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #20 - 06/10/07 at 20:41:48
Post Tools
RE: Basic Chess Endings

It's historically useful, and a good tool to see how many errors you can catch, so it also serves some instructive purposes.  Considering how important that book was to so many good players, I feel a bit defensive about it.  I know its "generalities are too general and its specifics are wrong", but it still served several generations of chess players.  It was probably only supplanted completely by Averbakh's fantastic multi-volume endgame books.

Of course, there are many, many better endgame books out there.

Among my personal favorites are:

Speelman's Analysing the Endgame

Beliavsky and Mikhailchisin's Winning Endgame Technique

Smyslov and Levenfish's Rook Endings

Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual (which is available as a CD-ROM, but I still use the book more.)

Mednis' Rate Your Endgame

and several others. 

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Bruce Pandolfini has offered the best explanation of all on how to mate with B+N against a lone king. It's not the computer's best moves, but it works!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo