Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Good endgame books (Read 39921 times)
Beetlejuice

Be careful out there!

Re: Good endgame books
Reply #49 - 10/23/08 at 15:19:32
Post Tools
snits wrote on 10/19/08 at 11:08:01:
Ptero wrote on 12/06/06 at 19:26:47:
I wonder if I'm the only one here that has a copy of Peter Griffiths's "Exploring the Endgame". A Wounderful book about endgame strategy, probably long out of print.

I was able to find it at http://www.labatechess.com.

Several cheap used copies (below 3 GBP) are available from marketplace sellers at amazon.co.uk

IP Logged

snits

Reply #48 - 10/19/08 at 11:08:01
Post Tools
Ptero wrote on 12/06/06 at 19:26:47:
I wonder if I'm the only one here that has a copy of Peter Griffiths's "Exploring the Endgame". A Wounderful book about endgame strategy, probably long out of print.

I was able to find it at http://www.labatechess.com.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #47 - 03/05/08 at 16:26:26
Post Tools
The excellent and very readable book by Makarov is a complete course with chapters on
1. Pawn endings; 2. Knight endings; 3. Bishop endings; 4. Bishop against Knight;
5. Rook against Light pieces 6. Rook endings 7. Rook and Light piece against Rook 8. Queen endings

Its only drawback? With Dvoretzky or Müller/Lamprecht you get 100% more material for only 20% more money.
But if you´re an advanced club player (let´s say 1700-2100) und would shy away from the sheer volume
of those scientific books, Makarov could be an interesting choice.

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #46 - 03/02/08 at 00:52:20
Post Tools
I'm surprised no one mentioned Silman's Complete Endgame Course. It's well organized and the explanations are lucid. I suppose about half of it might be too elementary for most people here, but for players under 1600 it's a really great value.

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #45 - 02/27/08 at 22:10:35
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 01/25/08 at 11:00:07:
Educate me, Fernando S, what is Makarov's recent book?

Excuse I do not connect so often these days. Makarov's book is a chess Stars publication, translated as usual with their readable but not perfect english that I find pretty good as it goes through easy enough examples that are close(r) to practical play.

All the positions given in theoretical manuals have their rooks optimally posted (for example). But in real endings, they could be all over the place, and also you could have a pawn or two added to the board for good measure.

At my current expertise level/ability to work on endings I find these books good to refresh the theory I know and deepen my knowledge/understanding of it without going to depths one is hardly ever going to encounter OTB and even if one actually does, both players are going to play sub-optimally and with no time but the pathetic increment!

The book covers pawn, rook and other endings. It is upstairs but I am too tired to go and fetch it!

Regards to all

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

jarih
YaBB Newbies

Reply #44 - 02/02/08 at 06:59:42
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 02/02/08 at 03:32:48:
I expect the new endgame bible by Glenn Flear (Practical Endgame Play: Beyond the Basics) to have more on double rook endings than either Emms or Panchenko, but I haven't seen the Flear book yet.

25 pages with 39 examples.

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #43 - 02/02/08 at 04:57:33
Post Tools
Greetings,

Stigma
I have found another book which appears to include some a chapter on double-rook endgames.

Essential Chess Endings for Advanced Players by John Donaldson.
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Chess-Endings-Advanced-Players/dp/B000U6RVQA/ref...

I also have a PDF downloaded from a website long ago (forgotten which one!) which comprises a hundred double-rook endgame studies.

It's called - wait for it! - 100 Two Rook Endings.

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #42 - 02/02/08 at 03:32:48
Post Tools
Dragan Glas wrote on 02/02/08 at 01:47:02:
Greetings,

Thank you Stigma - I was just about to buy the older version when I saw this. I'll look forward to getting it.

One thing, though, I've yet to find a endgame book that deals with the double-rook ending, which is something I'd like to see.

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

Greetings,

Emms 'Survival Guide' (the original at least) does have 11 pages on double rook endings, so now you can look forward to it even more! Smiley
Emms gives just the basic themes to look out for, but it was a nice section to include. I am aware of two other sources:

The classic russian endgame book by Panchenko also has a chapter on double rook endings, but I don't think there is an english translation in book form (I have the German translation "Endspieltheorie und Praktik") and anyway he seems to say mostly the same things as Emms. However, the computer program "Theory and Practice of Chess Endings" by Convekta is based on this book.

I expect the new endgame bible by Glenn Flear (Practical Endgame Play: Beyond the Basics) to have more on double rook endings than either Emms or Panchenko, but I haven't seen the Flear book yet.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #41 - 02/02/08 at 01:47:02
Post Tools
Greetings,

Thank you Stigma - I was just about to buy the older version when I saw this. I'll look forward to getting it.

One thing, though, I've yet to find a endgame book that deals with the double-rook ending, which is something I'd like to see.

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #40 - 02/01/08 at 22:07:36
Post Tools
James Vigus wrote on 01/25/08 at 09:18:59:
Hooper's Pocket Guide to Chess Endings ..., then progressed to Keres's Practical Chess Endings,

Funnily enough, me too! I used to peruse the latter during my lunch break when working for the old DHSS as a programmer! I never forgot the lessons I learnt there! Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #39 - 02/01/08 at 10:44:31
Post Tools
Dragan Glas wrote on 02/01/08 at 00:36:35:
Greetings,

I see that Amazon are indicating that there will be another edition of Emms' The Survival Guide to Rook Endings to be published by Gambit around 1 March 2008 (as against the earlier one by Everyman in 2000).

Is this just a reprint or are there any additions/updates?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Guide-Rook-Endings/dp/1904600948/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

Gambit editor Graham Burgess mentioned this book when he was the guest on John Watson's "Chess Talk" radio show recently. Apparently the analysis has been updated/corrected with reference to new 6-man tablebases, whereas only 5-man tablebases were available to Emms when he originally wrote the book.

Probably that means all the examples and most explanatory text is the same, but now the analysis is just a little bit more accurate. Burgess didn't say how many changes had to be made, though. The page count is identical - 160.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #38 - 02/01/08 at 00:36:35
Post Tools
Greetings,

I see that Amazon are indicating that there will be another edition of Emms' The Survival Guide to Rook Endings to be published by Gambit around 1 March 2008 (as against the earlier one by Everyman in 2000).

Is this just a reprint or are there any additions/updates?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Guide-Rook-Endings/dp/1904600948/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #37 - 01/25/08 at 12:24:28
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 01/25/08 at 11:00:07:

http://www.chess-stars.com/complete_list.html#Endgame

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 01/25/08 at 11:00:07
Post Tools

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 01/25/08 at 10:58:00
Post Tools
I think there's one on pawns, one on queens, one on minor pieces and one on rooks.

I tried a couple of training exercises with the rooks one and both positions were wrongly analysed (as I believe, at any rate let's say interesting alternatives went unmentioned). I meant to post them and tap the wisdom of UKC, but I haven't got round to it yet.

Not that that's much of a criticism; they're a useful enough resource for what they are.

I agree with what is said about Speelman/Livshits; brilliant little book (as usual with JS) despite poor production values. I like Jon's Analysing the Endgame and Endgame Preparation too (or whatever they're called exactly).

Off-topic, does anyone know if one can, or has ever been able to, get Cheron in English?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo