Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Good endgame books (Read 15965 times)
Beetlejuice

Be careful out there!

Re: Good endgame books
Reply #49 - 10/23/08 at 16:19:32
Post Tools
snits wrote on 10/19/08 at 12:08:01:
Ptero wrote on 12/06/06 at 19:26:47:
I wonder if I'm the only one here that has a copy of Peter Griffiths's "Exploring the Endgame". A Wounderful book about endgame strategy, probably long out of print.

I was able to find it at http://www.labatechess.com.

Several cheap used copies (below 3 GBP) are available from marketplace sellers at amazon.co.uk

IP Logged

snits

Reply #48 - 10/19/08 at 12:08:01
Post Tools
Ptero wrote on 12/06/06 at 19:26:47:
I wonder if I'm the only one here that has a copy of Peter Griffiths's "Exploring the Endgame". A Wounderful book about endgame strategy, probably long out of print.

I was able to find it at http://www.labatechess.com.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #47 - 03/05/08 at 16:26:26
Post Tools
The excellent and very readable book by Makarov is a complete course with chapters on
1. Pawn endings; 2. Knight endings; 3. Bishop endings; 4. Bishop against Knight;
5. Rook against Light pieces 6. Rook endings 7. Rook and Light piece against Rook 8. Queen endings

Its only drawback? With Dvoretzky or Müller/Lamprecht you get 100% more material for only 20% more money.
But if you´re an advanced club player (let´s say 1700-2100) und would shy away from the sheer volume
of those scientific books, Makarov could be an interesting choice.

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #46 - 03/02/08 at 00:52:20
Post Tools
I'm surprised no one mentioned Silman's Complete Endgame Course. It's well organized and the explanations are lucid. I suppose about half of it might be too elementary for most people here, but for players under 1600 it's a really great value.

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #45 - 02/27/08 at 22:10:35
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 01/25/08 at 11:00:07:
Educate me, Fernando S, what is Makarov's recent book?

Excuse I do not connect so often these days. Makarov's book is a chess Stars publication, translated as usual with their readable but not perfect english that I find pretty good as it goes through easy enough examples that are close(r) to practical play.

All the positions given in theoretical manuals have their rooks optimally posted (for example). But in real endings, they could be all over the place, and also you could have a pawn or two added to the board for good measure.

At my current expertise level/ability to work on endings I find these books good to refresh the theory I know and deepen my knowledge/understanding of it without going to depths one is hardly ever going to encounter OTB and even if one actually does, both players are going to play sub-optimally and with no time but the pathetic increment!

The book covers pawn, rook and other endings. It is upstairs but I am too tired to go and fetch it!

Regards to all

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

jarih
YaBB Newbies

Reply #44 - 02/02/08 at 06:59:42
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 02/02/08 at 03:32:48:
I expect the new endgame bible by Glenn Flear (Practical Endgame Play: Beyond the Basics) to have more on double rook endings than either Emms or Panchenko, but I haven't seen the Flear book yet.

25 pages with 39 examples.

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #43 - 02/02/08 at 04:57:33
Post Tools
Greetings,

Stigma
I have found another book which appears to include some a chapter on double-rook endgames.

Essential Chess Endings for Advanced Players by John Donaldson.
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Chess-Endings-Advanced-Players/dp/B000U6RVQA/ref...

I also have a PDF downloaded from a website long ago (forgotten which one!) which comprises a hundred double-rook endgame studies.

It's called - wait for it! - 100 Two Rook Endings.

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 02/02/08 at 03:32:48
Post Tools
Dragan Glas wrote on 02/02/08 at 01:47:02:
Greetings,

Thank you Stigma - I was just about to buy the older version when I saw this. I'll look forward to getting it.

One thing, though, I've yet to find a endgame book that deals with the double-rook ending, which is something I'd like to see.

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

Greetings,

Emms 'Survival Guide' (the original at least) does have 11 pages on double rook endings, so now you can look forward to it even more! Smiley
Emms gives just the basic themes to look out for, but it was a nice section to include. I am aware of two other sources:

The classic russian endgame book by Panchenko also has a chapter on double rook endings, but I don't think there is an english translation in book form (I have the German translation "Endspieltheorie und Praktik") and anyway he seems to say mostly the same things as Emms. However, the computer program "Theory and Practice of Chess Endings" by Convekta is based on this book.

I expect the new endgame bible by Glenn Flear (Practical Endgame Play: Beyond the Basics) to have more on double rook endings than either Emms or Panchenko, but I haven't seen the Flear book yet.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #41 - 02/02/08 at 01:47:02
Post Tools
Greetings,

Thank you Stigma - I was just about to buy the older version when I saw this. I'll look forward to getting it.

One thing, though, I've yet to find a endgame book that deals with the double-rook ending, which is something I'd like to see.

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #40 - 02/01/08 at 22:07:36
Post Tools
James Vigus wrote on 01/25/08 at 09:18:59:
Hooper's Pocket Guide to Chess Endings ..., then progressed to Keres's Practical Chess Endings,

Funnily enough, me too! I used to peruse the latter during my lunch break when working for the old DHSS as a programmer! I never forgot the lessons I learnt there! Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 02/01/08 at 10:44:31
Post Tools
Dragan Glas wrote on 02/01/08 at 00:36:35:
Greetings,

I see that Amazon are indicating that there will be another edition of Emms' The Survival Guide to Rook Endings to be published by Gambit around 1 March 2008 (as against the earlier one by Everyman in 2000).

Is this just a reprint or are there any additions/updates?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Guide-Rook-Endings/dp/1904600948/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

Gambit editor Graham Burgess mentioned this book when he was the guest on John Watson's "Chess Talk" radio show recently. Apparently the analysis has been updated/corrected with reference to new 6-man tablebases, whereas only 5-man tablebases were available to Emms when he originally wrote the book.

Probably that means all the examples and most explanatory text is the same, but now the analysis is just a little bit more accurate. Burgess didn't say how many changes had to be made, though. The page count is identical - 160.

IP Logged

Dragan Glas

"If I, like Solomon, ...
could have my wish -
"

Reply #38 - 02/01/08 at 00:36:35
Post Tools
Greetings,

I see that Amazon are indicating that there will be another edition of Emms' The Survival Guide to Rook Endings to be published by Gambit around 1 March 2008 (as against the earlier one by Everyman in 2000).

Is this just a reprint or are there any additions/updates?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Guide-Rook-Endings/dp/1904600948/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #37 - 01/25/08 at 12:24:28
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 01/25/08 at 11:00:07:

http://www.chess-stars.com/complete_list.html#Endgame

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 01/25/08 at 11:00:07
Post Tools

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 01/25/08 at 10:58:00
Post Tools
I think there's one on pawns, one on queens, one on minor pieces and one on rooks.

I tried a couple of training exercises with the rooks one and both positions were wrongly analysed (as I believe, at any rate let's say interesting alternatives went unmentioned). I meant to post them and tap the wisdom of UKC, but I haven't got round to it yet.

Not that that's much of a criticism; they're a useful enough resource for what they are.

I agree with what is said about Speelman/Livshits; brilliant little book (as usual with JS) despite poor production values. I like Jon's Analysing the Endgame and Endgame Preparation too (or whatever they're called exactly).

Off-topic, does anyone know if one can, or has ever been able to, get Cheron in English?

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #34 - 01/25/08 at 10:27:47
Post Tools
James Vigus wrote on 01/25/08 at 09:18:59:
Anyone tried the new series of endgame books by Pinter - 50,000,000 queen endings, etc? Are they interesting?

They don't seem to have been of much interest to a reviewer at BCM - he or she lists them as rook endings!:
"The Hungarian grandmaster has collected 1,000 rook endings and presented them six to a page ..."

IP Logged

James Vigus

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 01/25/08 at 09:18:59
Post Tools
Jonathan Speelman's new endgame column in British Chess Magazine is, not surprisingly, quite a mine of information. He mentioned recently that the endgame tablebases (i.e. perfect play for any position with 5 - is it? - pieces or fewer) are freely available on shredderchess.com. He also mentioned Znosko-Borovsky's How to Play Chess Endings (Dover reprint 1974), which is indeed a fascinating and instructive book if you don't mind the descriptive notation. One advantage of studying old examples of endings is - in those days the players had enough time to play them properly! Admittedly you could probably find plenty of analytical mistakes with a computer. In the pre-silicon age, I learnt from Hooper's Pocket Guide to Chess Endings (and an audio cassette delivered in Hooper's gravelly tones), then progressed to Keres's Practical Chess Endings, with Chernev, 'Capablanca's Best Chess Endings' for light relief (what Chernev lacks in analytical rigour, he makes up for in charm...). That dates me, doesn't it?!
I really like Speelman and Livshits' book of studies, but I didn't get far enough to encounter serious problems with the typos...
I once reviewed a couple of collections of Cecil Purdy's writings on the endgame. Again, very worthwhile, some unusual material, analysis of practical games, good prose...

Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual is indispensible, I think.

Anyone tried the new series of endgame books by Pinter - 50,000,000 queen endings, etc? Are they interesting?

IP Logged

jarih
YaBB Newbies

Reply #32 - 01/09/08 at 16:09:16
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 10/08/07 at 02:30:37:
Rotgut is exactly right to remind us of the fantastic and fantastically concise endgame book by Averbakh.

I think it's out of print now, but certainly ranks as one of the great endgame books, ...

No it isn't...
http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1040540/Chess-Endings/Product.html

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 01/09/08 at 02:12:48
Post Tools
Fernando Semprun wrote on 01/08/08 at 20:34:28:
I would love a new Edition of Livshits & Speelman Test Your Endgame Ability.

I wholeheartedly agree! Several years ago I worked through some of the exercises with a group of friends and it was great fun, but when I tried to buy it for myself I couldn't find any bookstore who had it  Cry

I also attended a training session with a GM who warmly recommended the book, but I had to inform him it was out of print.

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #30 - 01/08/08 at 20:34:28
Post Tools
I would love a new Edition of Livshits & Speelman Test Your Endgame Ability.

The book is very good, but there were errors in several diagrams and poor analysis in some of the later examples. In the end I gave up with some tests because you were never sure if you couldnot solve it, the diagram was wrong or the solution was wrong too!

But it is an invaluable book. Ah!, also they could expand the little introduction of each chapter?

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #29 - 01/08/08 at 20:29:48
Post Tools
Makarov recent book is VERY good.

Beljiavsky & Mikhalchsin books, although OK, are full of analytical errors. In fact, the second book in the series mentioned some of these...(of the first)

Karsten Muller book on pawn endings was EXCELLENT, 13/10, although the acclaimed Fundamental chess Endings has omissions in analysis (some IMPORTANT ONES) and sometimes just mentioned other books to avoid covering certain topics. A pity they did not carry out with minor piece endings, rook endings, etc.., as was surely intended instead of producing the 'Fundamental tome' (Around that time NCO was produced too... Wink )

Emms books are excellent also, although he sometimes lacks the clarity of explanation other authors have achieved.

Dvoretsky is awesome in some places and pedantic beyond redemption in others. He also gives exercises which are solvable mixed with studies that are very difficult, leaving you confused and baffled.

That's typical of him. It costed me dearly to solve a 'simple exercise' of rook vs pawn (leaving me feeling like a patzer) until I discovered that 2 GM's where unable to solve it. A simple exercise, Mr. Dvoretsky?

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #28 - 10/08/07 at 02:30:37
Post Tools
Rotgut is exactly right to remind us of the fantastic and fantastically concise endgame book by Averbakh.

I think it's out of print now, but certainly ranks as one of the great endgame books, especially in the pre-computer era.  Averbakh's own multi-volume endgame series is better if only because of the added depth, but I remember carrying around his slender book to tournaments in case I had a dreaded adjournment.  (Remember those?)

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #27 - 10/08/07 at 00:30:54
Post Tools
I have Just the Facts Second Edition and I think it's pretty instructive as well as easy to follow.

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #26 - 10/05/07 at 20:27:20
Post Tools
No mention of the great  Yuri Averbakh's 'Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge?' This thin little book was and still is fantastic. No fooling around here as Averbakh demands that the student become master of the information contained in these pages!

After intense study of the examples in this work I found myself being able to work through and understand more advanced works by other authors. This book is the foundation upon which I based my entire study of the endgame. Remember one important concept....everything x2  Wink

IP Logged

jeupham

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #25 - 07/29/07 at 18:23:34
Post Tools
Although not books but DVDs I would recommend the two

Romans' Lab : Mastering Chess Series
Volume 8 : Comprehensive Chess Endings , Part 1
Volume 9 : Comprehensive Chess Endings , Part 2

by Roman Dzindzichashvili

as very enjoyable

Also, The DVD series from Susan Polgar give excellent coverage and are well produced.

John

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #24 - 07/03/07 at 18:00:04
Post Tools
senna wrote on 07/03/07 at 02:55:13:
So I've narrowed it down to Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual and Fundamental Chess Endings.

I have a practical question I'd be very pleased if someone could answer for me. I saw on a review that the Dvoretsky's opens flat easily but I haven't heard for FCE. I have arthritis and cumbersome books are a real pain. Thanks much!

It doesnt open flat. Some serious slapping while open helps, but doesnt solve the problem entirely.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #23 - 07/03/07 at 05:54:14
Post Tools
Senna,

Presuming that your arthritis is age related, I would strongly recommend the Dvoretsky book.  Aside from opening rather easily, it has colorful diagrams and notes that makes the important stuff really pop out.

The key differences between these two books is that Muller and Lamprecht's Fundamental Chess Endings tries to be encyclopaedic.  Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual is more pedagogical.  There are fewer examples in the Dvoretsky book, but they tend to be more precious.

If I had to choose between the two (and I didn't) I would buy Dvoretsky's book.  Dvoretsky's book is generally more readable, and is certainly more digestible.

Which ever book you get, I hope you devour it!

IP Logged

senna
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 07/03/07 at 02:55:13
Post Tools
So I've narrowed it down to Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual and Fundamental Chess Endings.

I have a practical question I'd be very pleased if someone could answer for me. I saw on a review that the Dvoretsky's opens flat easily but I haven't heard for FCE. I have arthritis and cumbersome books are a real pain. Thanks much!

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 06/10/07 at 23:53:39
Post Tools
By the way, I bought Dvoretsky on CD a while back but it always crashes. Does anyone else have that problem?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #20 - 06/10/07 at 21:41:48
Post Tools
RE: Basic Chess Endings

It's historically useful, and a good tool to see how many errors you can catch, so it also serves some instructive purposes.  Considering how important that book was to so many good players, I feel a bit defensive about it.  I know its "generalities are too general and its specifics are wrong", but it still served several generations of chess players.  It was probably only supplanted completely by Averbakh's fantastic multi-volume endgame books.

Of course, there are many, many better endgame books out there.

Among my personal favorites are:

Speelman's Analysing the Endgame

Beliavsky and Mikhailchisin's Winning Endgame Technique

Smyslov and Levenfish's Rook Endings

Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual (which is available as a CD-ROM, but I still use the book more.)

Mednis' Rate Your Endgame

and several others. 

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Bruce Pandolfini has offered the best explanation of all on how to mate with B+N against a lone king. It's not the computer's best moves, but it works!

IP Logged

JonHecht

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 06/10/07 at 06:55:43
Post Tools
Don't bother with BCE.

Edit: Just realized you had two things called BCE in there, I mean Basic Chess Endings.

IP Logged

senna
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 06/10/07 at 05:52:39
Post Tools
I already have a basic endgame book and one for rook endings and am now going to purchase an endgame manual and have seen a few recommended (here and elsewhere) above others.
-Basic Chess Endings
-Fundamental Chess Endings
-Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
-Speelman Batchford Chess Endings

Will these all serve as a fine one and done book for endings or is one better or worse than another? Any major differences as far as easier to follow, more examples, illustrations, humor, print etc?

Thanks much for helping this cheapo make his decision!

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #17 - 01/02/07 at 11:49:34
Post Tools
Happy New Year to all!

I was following this thread with a lot of interest and finally was convinced to buy Howell's Essential Chess Endings to read during the vacations.

I have read in the past Shereshevsky's Endgame Strategy and part of Keres' Practical Chess Endings, but needed sth like a quick-starter due to some tough team matches starting in February (unfortunately Keres' book needs a lot of energy and is a rather thick one).

Anyway, to sum this up, Howell's book is 100% designed for the average tournament player and ...is excellent!! So far I have read the chapters on pawn endings (which was traditionally my strong endgame point) and the Rook & pawns on the same side: Fun to read, easy to remember, packed with well thought advice. I enthusiastically recommned this to all.  Smiley

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #16 - 12/16/06 at 12:32:02
Post Tools
Just acquired Van Perlo's Endgame Tactics today. From what i've seen so far, its excellent stuff.
It doesn't even feel like an endgames book!  almost like a tactics manual, but endgame themes are presented well and i can see this will be a most enjoyable way to learn about the endgame. I am looking forward to spending a Sunday with this book. Smiley

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 12/07/06 at 10:52:30
Post Tools
Ptero - no you're not; I've got it. And also indeed the old magazines (BCM, I think) in which a lot of the games were published. I agree with you; excellent stuff. I also agree with Micawber that the Belyavsky/Mikhalchishin series is surprisingly good, although terse and rather unattractively designed.

Lee Roth - lol about pawn-pushing and not hurrying! Glad to hear you've figured it out - I suppoe the idea is to push the pawns but in a considered and unhurried manner?

Another one I like is that collection of studies by Speelman and someone with a name a bit like Lipnitsky.

I saw quite an interesting endgame book the other day; a collection of puzzle positions by someone called John Hall, which I thought might be quite useful for young players in a cheap and cheerful  sort of way. Anyone know that?

Actually I think my comments probably aren't too useful on this thread, since the more I think about it the more I can't think of an endgame book I don't like. I suppose I wouldn't much fancy working through Nunn's encyclopedia of R and P -v- R, although it's hard to criticise such a work. Am I the only person who's never had a close R and P v R in all their career?

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #14 - 12/07/06 at 00:25:28
Post Tools
I like "How to Play Chess Endings" by Eugene Znosko_Borovsky. It is not one of the better know chess books, but I happened to pick it up cheap at my local book store where chess books are a rarity. Nonetheless, I found the explanations pretty good.

Of course you have to be bi-lingual to read it, since it is in descriptive notation so that might defer some of you younger folks out there.  Smiley

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #13 - 12/06/06 at 21:24:31
Post Tools
The best one volume book is I think Speelman Batchford Chess Endings
Despite the encyclopedic format it contains quite of usefull text.

Another book I can recommend is Beljavski: Winning endgame strategy.

IP Logged

Ptero

When all else fails, read
the instructions.

Reply #12 - 12/06/06 at 19:26:47
Post Tools

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #11 - 12/06/06 at 18:36:14
Post Tools
I agree that Howell's and Shereshevsky's books are outstanding.  However, my favourite endgame book of all time is Rate Your Endgame by Edmar Mednis.  It's extremely light on theoretical positions, but I can't think of a better book to actually teach you how to play endgames--i.e., endgame technique.  I can't recommend this book enough.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #10 - 12/06/06 at 18:22:53
Post Tools
I purposely left off Levenfish & Smyslov, even though it helped my chess immensely when I worked through it as a youth.  I found the book dry, like a collection of scales for the piano, and it was only the insistence of my teammates that kept me going.

I also left off Shereshevsky's Endgame Strategy, which I think is overrated.  The examples are great, but when I first read the book it left me confused.  Push the Pawns but Do Not Hurry?  Which is it?  (I've since figured it out, but its still been a long time since I've pulled Shereshevsky off the shelf.)

Curmudgeons, Inc.    Wink

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/06/06 at 15:47:21
Post Tools
Oh and someone ought to defend James H's honour, an English GM, if you don't mind, alumbrado!

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 12/06/06 at 15:46:27
Post Tools
There are many good ones and all the ones I know of those mentioned are good, but for me Smyslov and Levenfish's Rook Endings has been the most useful. I love the way it talks about what can be fairly baffling positions in terms of plans - even, say, R and 2 v R and one.

Glenn F's Mastering the Endgame was good too.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #7 - 12/06/06 at 15:31:58
Post Tools
Opps, didn't read carefully enough.  AmateurDragoneer had mentioned both Muller and Dvoretsky.  Sorry about that.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #6 - 12/06/06 at 15:29:35
Post Tools
Hmm, surprised no one's mentioned Muller's Fundamental Chess Endings and Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual. 

For rook endings, I like Emm's Survival Guide and Mednis's slim volume, which I think was called Practical Rook Endings or something like that.

For pawn endings, I like Muller's book, as well as the older book by Cvetkov.

Other favorites include Benko's books collecting his columns, Keres's Practical Chess Endings, Speelman's Endgame Preparation, Barden's How to Play the Endgame, Howell's book and Nunn's book on Endgame Tactics.

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #5 - 01/24/05 at 03:33:50
Post Tools
I have several endgame books, but the one I used most and always recommend is James Howell's Essential Chess Endings.

IP Logged

AmateurDragoneer

Reply #4 - 01/22/05 at 10:18:22
Post Tools
Glenn Flear's "Improve Your Endgame Play" is a good one to start out with if you know [virtually] nothing about endgames. If you're already familiar with basic concepts such as the opposition, triangulation, bishop and wrong rook pawn, etc. then you can either go with multiple books on specific types of endgames (such as Nunn's Secrets of Rook Endgames, Secrets of Pawn Endgames, Secrets of Pawnless Endgames) or a 1-volume work. If you going for a single volume, I would recommend either Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual by Mark Dvoretsky, or Fundamental Chess Endings by Karsten Muller and Frank Lamprecht. Both are very thorough, but also contain clear explanations and diagrams to illustrate key concepts and ideas.

AIM  
IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #3 - 01/21/05 at 22:07:09
Post Tools
I totally agree about Howell's Essential Chess Endings, and Shereshevsky's Endgame Strategy. These two are all you need.

Howell's book has nice easy-to-remember captions below his diagrams.  Smiley

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/21/05 at 11:54:34
Post Tools
I'm a big fan of "Grandmaster Secrets: Endings" by Soltis.  I also really like Emm's "The Survival Guide to Rook Endgames".  Have heard that Korchnoi's recent work on Rook endgames is great but is for fairly advanced players.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 01/21/05 at 10:37:50
Post Tools
There is a book by I think James Howell (an English IM), called Essential Chess Endings which is an excellent 'primer'.

Shereshevsky's Endgame Strategy is good for more advanced players.

I also like Bernd Rosen's Chess Endgame Training.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Good endgame books
01/21/05 at 10:18:48
Post Tools
I was hoping I might follow Inn2's example from his thread on middlegame books and inquire about good manuals on the endgame.  What are the best books (recent or old) for a novice, intermediate, or expert player?

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top