Latest Updates:
Normal Topic New Plaskett book - name change!? (Read 6999 times)
RivertonKnight

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New Plaskett book - name change!?
Reply #5 - 07/11/10 at 12:57:27
Post Tools
Plaskett actually looks at many ideas for White after 1d4 d5 2 Bg5 h6 3 Bh4 c6

1. 4 Nf3 Qb6 5 Nbd2 and 5 b3 and 5 Qc1
2. 4 e3 Qb6 5 Qc1 and 5 b3
3. 4 a3 Qb6 5 Ra2
4. 4 c4 Qb6 5 Qd2

I didn't see any mention of 4 Nc3 but I just skimmed through the book, I think he feels the answer is in the first
line somewhere and the others are interesting and provocative.

1 d4 d5 Bg5 h6 3 Bh4 Nh6 4 e3

Hope this was helpful !! AJ

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 07/11/10 at 01:50:30
Post Tools
lnn2 wrote on 06/05/05 at 22:30:42:
If it's about 1. d4 d5 2. Bg5, Plaskett better have some new ideas against the c6/Qb6 plan.  Undecided

I too am interested to know what Plaskett recommends against this plan. Specifically, what does Plaskett cover against 2...h6 3 Bh4 c6, the line recommended for Black by almost every source? Does he cover 4 Nc3 which I think may be White's best move?

IP Logged

elspringer

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 06/06/05 at 02:25:12
Post Tools
AND agaisnt the f6/Nh6-plan...

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/05 at 22:30:42
Post Tools
If it's about 1. d4 d5 2. Bg5, Plaskett better have some new ideas against the c6/Qb6 plan.  Undecided

IP Logged

Zarvox

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 06/05/05 at 22:08:56
Post Tools
Interesting! Funny how the name changed. It certainly seems a lot more plausible that the book is about 1. d4 d5 2. Bg5 than the earlier speculation that it was about the bizarre 1. d4 Nf6 2. d5.

I agree that the opening should be called the Hodgson Attack. (There's also a Foxy opening video about the opening, where it's called the Pseudo-Trompowsky, but again Hodgson certainly deserves the credit.)

IP Logged

Faraday
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

New Plaskett book - name change!?
06/05/05 at 08:55:03
Post Tools
Hi guys,

I was browsing the various publisher's sites yesterday when I came across this new(?) book from Batsford:

Queen's Bishop Attack Revealed
By James Plaskett

Now I know we had an extensive thread on the original title of this book (Queen's Pawn Atack) but it looks like the pawn of the title has metamorphosed into a bishop!  Even the picture of the cover now says "Bishop".

I've reproduced the blurb below but it seems to be the same as for the previous book with the obvious word change.

So, is this the long-awaited book on the Levitsky Attack (I prefer Hodgson Attack but then I am English!), 1.d4 d5  2. Bg5!?  Does anyone have any further info?

Note, release date is 30th June, I hope it's better than most of Plaskett's previous works.

Faraday

Publisher Batsford 
Publication Date 30 June 2005
ISBN 0713489707
Pages 192 

Summary
The Queen's Bishop Attack has been a speciality of English chess players for some years. The opening encapsulates the English chess-playing spirit: bold, enterprising and slightly off-beat.

The third in the innovative 'Revealed' series, this is the first book to ever tackle this cutting-edge opening. Using fresh, clear presentation, the key ideas of the openings are explained in an entertaining and accessible way.

The aim of the series is to provide the essential knowledge to play the opening, while at the same time revealing the current thinking of the world's current elite players. For example, 'First moves' leads readers through basic opening moves. 'Heroes and zeros' gives the best and worst performances with the opening and features some of its leading exponents. 'Tricks and traps' shows how you might catch out your opponent. 'What's hot' pinpoints the very latest ideas from the world's top players. Detailed variations are given at the close of the book.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo