Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Smith-Morra (Read 29310 times)
Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Smith-Morra
Reply #24 - 11/18/05 at 22:28:05
Post Tools
Markovich,

I agree that the line you suggest is an inferior form of the French in part because it releases tension early in the center while giving the Nb1 a great square on c3 to rest on.  However, I'm not sure it's actually bad because I don't think White should have more than + with best play.  

White would also need to know how to play such an opening.  My experience with Smith-Morra players is that they often avoid theoretical moves even if such moves give them a clear advantage.  I've played the position as Black against players within my own playing strength (2100-2300 on good day.  Below 1600 on a bad one Embarrassed) and have been able to get excellent positions out of the opening.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #23 - 11/17/05 at 11:59:48
Post Tools
Quote:
To add to White's frustration, Black can also transpose into a (not so great) French via: 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cd4 3.c3 e6 4.cd4 d5.  The main problem for Black is that the c3 square has been cleared so early that White can play and Advanced Variation with an early Nc3 that is usually considered a minor achievement.  The exchange variation, 5.ed5 ed5 holds no major worries for Black in my opinion. 

So in addition to all these sound variations, Black even has the option of playing a line that generally doesn't suit the temperement of S-M players by playing a French-style game.

I was just browing around this part of the board and came upon this claim.  But this French is quite bad for Black, since 5. e5 transposes into 1. e4 e6  2. d4 d5  3. e5 c5  4. c3 cxd4?  5. cxd4.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #22 - 08/22/05 at 16:21:05
Post Tools
Sorry Ben_Hague, I have misreaded, I have deleted my last post because it was just unuseful due to my error.

IP Logged

Ben_Hague

I'm always happier when
I'm a pawn down.

Reply #21 - 08/22/05 at 16:07:16
Post Tools
Quote:
Ben_Hague :

But if you reread my last post, 9..d5 10.Bd3 Bb4 11.Fb5 deserve a (!) from Rajmund point of view. What do you think about it?

Actually he gives 10...Knight to b4 rather than Bishop to b4, and I don't see any mention of 10...Bb4 on his website.

IP Logged

Ben_Hague

I'm always happier when
I'm a pawn down.

Reply #20 - 08/22/05 at 03:56:17
Post Tools
I'm not convinced by 9...d5 10.Bd3 because of 10...Bb4 11.0-0 Bxc3 12.bxc3 f6 when I don't see enough compensation for two pawns. I think that 10.Bb5 probably deserves more attention than it normally gets, the idea being to make it tougher to play f6 and so leave the knight on g4 misplaced. So far I haven't had the time to do a full analysis on this, but what I've looked at so far seems quite promising.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #19 - 08/21/05 at 22:52:14
Post Tools
Pains me to have to agree with Mnb on this one, but it seems I must. Grin

Lots of Palkovi's Smith Morra analyses don't stand up to close scrutiny, but to be fair most of the literature on the Smith Morra is dodgy at best. Perhaps this has more to do with the subject matter, than the authors in question.

Eulogy, my advice to you is as follows, pay close attention:

The Smith Morra is a fun practical opening, however it is not fully sound so expect to continue to find insoluble problems. Flawed openings, especially gambits, can't be fixed fully regardless of how many sources you have or how many new ones come on the market.

If you accept that there are some lines against the Morra where you simply will not generate enough comp then you will save yourself a lot of grief and money. Thats a fact.

I have a friend and he's an FM rated about 2260 or so, and all he plays is the Smith Morra, has been for years. He has that book by Janos Flesch, which judging by his games he never bothered to read, he simply goes his own way relying on his tactical ingenuity to guide him and not bothering a hoot whether the books thinks he is better or worse. I think this is the Spirit that many dodgy Gambits should be played in.

Regarding The Siberian trap, its cool if you can pull it off, and I purposely did not give any concrete lines in my answer since you failed to give any concrete lines in your question. I don't think the Siberian line constitutes a refutation, but if it does, that's what ya get for giving away valuable Centre pawns in the Opening.

Centre pawns are valuable assets and deserve or respect, giving them away just puts added pressure on ourselves to come up with 'the only moves' time and again to justify our wrecklessness.

Conclusion: Smith Morra is a good surprise weapon against an unprepared opponent, but these are becoming harder and harder to find in this Database age.

Solution: Put your analytical efforts into Mainline Sicilian positions, or find an Anti Sicilian that doesn't drop a pawn.

TN  Grin

Postscript: In my next post I may show some analysis on the Siberian Line if I can dig up the article on it in the now defunct magazine 'Inside Chess'. If memory serves the article indicated there was some hope for White.      
« Last Edit: 08/22/05 at 19:01:35 by TopNotch »  

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #18 - 08/21/05 at 20:53:30
Post Tools
Palkovi in his 2000 book on the Morra Gambit thinks 9...f6 superior to 9...d5. He recommends 10.Bd3 Nb4 11.Bb1 and has an improvement on Votava-Milov, Rishon le Zion 1991. But one should be as sceptical on Palkovi's evaluations as on Rajmund's.
Only after Eulogy has given some more details, I will provide more analysis.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #17 - 08/21/05 at 18:35:45
Post Tools
OK, maybe TopNotch was a little rude, but it is a little frustrating when someone a sweeping claim about a variation without indication of why or even what specific line is the basis behind the claim.  How do we know that you are not just a beginner who thinks the Siberian trap looks cool?  OK, 9...d5 is the move.  What makes this line work?

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #16 - 08/21/05 at 18:08:50
Post Tools
I am not a smith-morra expert but I found a shot analysis after 9..d5 (I have not checked the correckness of the line, I just found it on Rajmund's website) : 10.Bd3 Nb4 11.Bb5+! Bd7 12.h3 Nh6 (12...Nf6 13.exf6 Qxf4 14.a3 Nc6 15.Nxd5+/-) 13.0-0 (Palkovi) (13.Rc1!?) 13...Nf5 14.Rac1 Nc6 (14...Bc6!?) 15.Nxd5 exd5 16.e6+/-;

I repeat, it's Rajmund's analysis, I just have done copy and past. What do you think about it? His mainline is 9..f6 where Rajmund put +/- everywhere in the end of the variations. I am a bit septical, but what do you think? If you don't know about the web page, it's here : http://www.mujweb.cz/www/rajmunde/siber.htm

IP Logged

Eulogy

Reply #15 - 08/21/05 at 16:53:29
Post Tools
TopNotch I have three books on it mega database 2005 and powerbook 2005 what am i missing? and 9...f6 in the main line of the siberian trap is stupid compared to 9...d5!!! (offered by GM chris ward) black has the winning score in almost all of the games. Ps TopNotch you never gave anyline that works against the siberian lol  Tongue

IP Logged

Ben_Hague

I'm always happier when
I'm a pawn down.

Reply #14 - 08/20/05 at 15:23:42
Post Tools
In the Siberian Trap main line 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 Nc6 5.Nf3 e6 6.Bc4 Qc7 7.Qe2 Nf6 8.e5 Ng4 9.Bf4 f6 10.Nb5 Qa5+ 11.Bd2 I think that White always has at least some compensation by controlling the d6 square. Do you have anything in particular in mind against this?

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #13 - 08/20/05 at 15:14:17
Post Tools
ROTFL!! Grin

You have got to be kidding.

Sure the Morra isn't great but that Siberian trap line can easily rebound on Black if he isn't careful.

What kind or research did you do? I mean there are so many Books and analyses on the Smith Morra out there, don't you have access to any?

Topertz Grin

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Eulogy

Reply #12 - 08/20/05 at 14:48:19
Post Tools
As of yet I can find no plausible reply to the Siberian trap against the smith-morra. In every line (I have researched it for about a month) white is a pawn down with no compensation. I have talked with titled players about this and they tend to agree with me that the siberian trap is the refutation to the smith morra gambit Tongue

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #11 - 08/19/05 at 16:35:48
Post Tools
To add to White's frustration, Black can also transpose into a (not so great) French via: 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cd4 3.c3 e6 4.cd4 d5.  The main problem for Black is that the c3 square has been cleared so early that White can play and Advanced Variation with an early Nc3 that is usually considered a minor achievement.  The exchange variation, 5.ed5 ed5 holds no major worries for Black in my opinion. 

So in addition to all these sound variations, Black even has the option of playing a line that generally doesn't suit the temperement of S-M players by playing a French-style game.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #10 - 08/19/05 at 15:30:45
Post Tools
And if Black just plays 4...Nc6 and normal moves like a6, d6, e6 etc. White has nothing better than x.Nxc3 transposing.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo