Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Grandmaster anecdotes (Read 4099 times)
Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Grandmaster anecdotes
Reply #7 - 11/10/05 at 08:50:03
Post Tools
Taljechin,

Hence the words, "first wife".   Wink

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #6 - 11/10/05 at 02:56:26
Post Tools
On the topic of glueing pieces to the board, I've read somewhere that Marcel Duchamps's first wife glued all the pieces to the board - after he'd spent their wedding night analysing a chess problem...  Wink

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #5 - 11/08/05 at 11:30:04
Post Tools
He had a funny habit: while his opponent was pondering a move, he would now and then brush off specks of dust, real or imaginary, from the opponent’s side of the chessboard. Eventually, Petrosian broke him of the habit by giving him a rap on the fingers. – Alexander Koblentz on Fischer

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #4 - 11/08/05 at 10:14:28
Post Tools
After Alekhine had taken the championship title from Capablanca, Capa apparently spent quite a bit of his spare time hanging out in a specific cafe in Paris. Friends, acquaintances, and others would often drop by, participating in games and libations with the former, charismatic, champion. One day, while Capa was having coffee and reading a newspaper, a stranger stopped at his table, motioned at the chess set and indicated he would like to play if Capa was interested. Capa's face lit up, he folded the newspaper away, reached for the board and proceeded to pocket his own queen. The opponent (who apparently had no idea who Capablanca was) reacted with slight anger. "Hey! You don't know me! I might beat you!", he said.

Capablanca, smiling gently, said quietly, "Sir, if you could beat me, I would know you."

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 11/08/05 at 09:35:19
Post Tools
Another one: Euwe was in the train analysing on his pocket set. A stranger approached him and asked if they could play a couple of games. Euwe agreed and they played a couple of games which he of course all won. His opponent was quite baffled by this and exclaimed: "I have never lost so many games in a row before. At the club they even call me 'Little Euwe'."

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 11/07/05 at 21:00:27
Post Tools
In some tournament Ian Rogers was analyzing with his opponent after their game. Some irritating patzer was intruding and proposed one unlikely move after another. Finally Rogers was so irritated, he looked up to reproach the patzer and stared into the face of Mikhail Tal.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 11/05/05 at 12:55:08
Post Tools
A nice topic, unfortunately most of the GM stories I remember are probably common knowledge already. But if you ever play in Gausdal (there's 2 tms a year, autumn/spring) make sure to talk to 'The Lahlum' he has a bottomless supply of GM stories mostly from those who've played in Gausdal over the decades. One I almost remember, was about a romanian(?) GM who took the train there, and when asked for his ticket says: 'I don't pay for train tickets - I am a Grandmaster of Chess!'

By the way, Gausdal has had some famous players over the years, most notably is probably that Kramnik took his last GM norm there.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Grandmaster anecdotes
11/02/05 at 19:52:26
Post Tools
There are a lot of funny chess anecdotes, so I decided to open a seperate thread on it. I got the idea by my own post elsewhere:
[quote author=Willempie ]There is also the fun story about the German master Carls. He would always forcefully play his first move 1 c4. Therefore at the german championships some players glued the c2-pawn to the board. You can guess what happened when Carls made his first move. [/quote]

I'll give you one of one of the most picturesque persons to start with.
Donner had to play Fischer with black. Fischer just had lost his last game. Apparently Fischer concluded he lost because of the pieces, so he showed up with his own pieces. However the black pieces were red. So when Donner saw this he said: "I know you're a murderous chessplayer, but to paint my pieces with blood seems a tad too murderous even for you." Fischer smiled and got the regular pieces.

Another Donner story: Hans Ree (he has a regular chesscafe column) had just won the dutch championship. Donner of course didnt quite like this so he challenged Ree to a match in which according to him the chance of him winning would be 99% as he said in a tv interview. After losing the match he of course got interviewed on tv again. His comment: "You see I was entirely right, it became that 1%."

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo