Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Why are they called indians?? (Read 3304 times)
Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Re: Why are they called indians??
Reply #5 - 11/11/05 at 18:17:40
Post Tools
I think I made a mistake when I said Tartakover.   Embarrassed Tarrasch sounds right to me too.

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #4 - 11/09/05 at 08:41:45
Post Tools
I'm inclined to agree with MNb, as Tarrasch was very dogmatic about classical principles. Unless I'm seriously mistaken, I think Tartakower himself was among those who got swayed by hypermodern ideas right? Correct me if i'm wrong.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 11/09/05 at 06:03:25
Post Tools
I have read the same story as S_F, but with Tartakower replaced by Tarrasch - which seems likely to me, as Tartakower himself has played a couple of innovative openings.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #2 - 11/09/05 at 02:38:44
Post Tools
Strptzr's version is different from what I heard.

When the Hypermoderns first started making the fianchetto really popular, Seveilly Tartakover sneered at the opening choices, claiming they were all indians.  There was the left (queen's) and the right (king's) Indian, and Tartokover simply believed these were mistakes, which is why he gave them joke names.  

He may have tied the joke to the way Indians played chess (they didn't have a castling rule, so this style of development did have some popularity in India.  Tartakover and others believed these were simply bad openings, and the Hypermoderns embraced the name in a show of defiance against established thinking.

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 11/08/05 at 16:27:26
Post Tools
Nope. They are called Indians because it was believed that in Indian chess pawns could not move further than one field, even initially.

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Why are they called indians??
11/08/05 at 12:17:53
Post Tools
I was wondering why the Bogo and Nimzo are called indians. The missing Fianchetto is kindof a requisite isnt it? I mean the Benoni has a better chance of becoming and indian woulnt you agree?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top