Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Pierce gambit (Read 3819 times)
fox
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Pierce gambit
Reply #4 - 02/16/06 at 11:51:27
Post Tools
Thx Michael,

I will read these review as soon as possible !

IP Logged

Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #3 - 02/15/06 at 17:36:41
Post Tools
If you want a good overview of the Pierce gambit, try and check out Tim Harding's column at www.chesscafe.com. He wrote some articles on the Pierce gambit a few years back. Since I sent Tim my comments and some games and analysis (which was also discussed in the thread given by TJ) this was included in the articles.

Find them here:

http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/archives.htm#The%20Kibitzer

and lookk for may/june 2004.

If I had any idea how to get to a += or a = that is not perpetual check in the Pierce gambit I would share it with you guys but, alas, it's still only a draw in my view. Would sure like to know what that Swedish corr player has up is sleeve.

Cheers,

Michael.

IP Logged

fox
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/15/06 at 09:52:44
Post Tools
Thx TJ, I'm going to have a closer look to this idea 8.Bxf4.

And congratulations for your excellent book FKG, it managed to put me into king's gambit territory, yet it was far from being obvious as I have always considered that 3.Nf3 is not sufficient for equality !  Tongue

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 02/15/06 at 09:20:26
Post Tools
Well, a couple of years ago I talked to a swedish corr player during a ferry tournament between Trelleborg and Rostock. And he insisted that white was alright according to fritz - if you just gave him enough weeks to calculate...  Roll Eyes

I don't remember how this salvation line began, but after a quick look in the database I suppose 8.Bxf4 may be what he meant (-though I have a faint memory of Bxf7+ being thrown in at some point...).

Anyway, I'd leave that analysis to someone with too much spare time!  Wink

Another source is a discussion here. It took me a while to find it but here it is:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1095546596

IP Logged

fox
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Pierce gambit
02/14/06 at 16:12:18
Post Tools
Hello everybody,

In his recent (and very popular as you can see here !  Wink) book "The FKG" Thomas Johansson briefly condamns the Pierce gambit e4 e5 f4 Nc6 Nc3 exf4 Nf3 g5 d4? g4 Bc4 gxf3 0-0 Nxd4! but concludes in an enigmatic way "according to the rumours white might still be ok".

How could it be possible since it seems that everything is forced so far white is concerned ? I have the feeling that white's play can hardly be improved and that the Pierce gambit is refuted indeed.

Any idea about that ?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo