Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C03,C10-C11: Book on the Rubinstein French? (Read 9201 times)
Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Book on the Rubinstein French?
Reply #9 - 03/20/06 at 08:30:13
Post Tools
But 200 bucks for a book from which you only need one chapter? If ever there was  a no-brainer...

IP Logged

bravehoptoad

Chess nuts boasting in
an open foyer

Reply #8 - 03/20/06 at 06:50:06
Post Tools
Strptzr wrote on 03/02/06 at 10:41:08:
A book I find very useful in this respect (the Rubinstein is one way to get the type of middle game I try to obtain) was 'Mastering the French'. Was, it will be near unfindable now, and is a bit dated, too.
A new book in this vein and about this type of middle game (also reached via Caro-kann and Sacandinavian and...) would be very welcome. (Hope GM Prie and McDonald & C° are reading this).

No problem.  _Mastering the French_, $200 bucks on Amazon.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #7 - 03/20/06 at 04:46:00
Post Tools
Pedersen and Psakhis give competent, but unexceptional, coverage on the Rubinstein and Burn. There is hardly any good original analysis.. probably because both don't play these openings. Theory has since developed, so also look at Chesspub/NIC etc.

Wahl's new book is going to be interesting. Regarding e4xd5 (or d5xe4) structures, imho 4... Bf5 Caro-Kann and Burn French are safest ways to reach this pawn structure, Scandi and Rubinstein give White more dangerous options. If compare Rubinstein and Burn, I definitely prefer Burn, since Bg5 is a useless move for White in these structures! 

IP Logged

Strptzr

Reply #6 - 03/06/06 at 12:35:04
Post Tools
But perhaps 'Modernes Skandinavisch II' by WAHLS will offer exactly this. As I understand it it will deal with middlegames resulting from the e4-d5-swap.

IP Logged

Strptzr

Reply #5 - 03/02/06 at 10:41:08
Post Tools
A book I find very useful in this respect (the Rubinstein is one way to get the type of middle game I try to obtain) was 'Mastering the French'. Was, it will be near unfindable now, and is a bit dated, too.
A new book in this vein and about this type of middle game (also reached via Caro-kann and Sacandinavian and...) would be very welcome. (Hope GM Prie and McDonald & C° are reading this).

IP Logged

JN(Guest)

Reply #4 - 03/02/06 at 09:10:06
Post Tools
Thanks for the feedback! Very useful. Thanks.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/06 at 17:48:11
Post Tools
2 books of Khalifman for the French!! I tought volume 7 would be for the sicilian!! Im afraid of the number of books needed to cover every sicilian defenses! If someone want to have all the collection to play 1.e4, he have to be rich Smiley If you compare with 1.Nf3 (opening for White according to Kramnik), only 5 books was needed Smiley

Now I know what is the choice of Khalifman against the French in his book, 3.Nc3 isn't a big surprise, after 3..Nf6 but the question was : 4.e5 or 4.Bg5? and after 4.e5 Nfd7 the question was, 5.f4 or 5.Nce2!?(The Shirov/Anand variation) that could feet well with the title Smiley

And the other question was : what against the Winawer? He choosed the old main line with 7.Qg4 Smiley

I agree that generally, Khalifman's work is very serious, very good, but I don't think every lines are always the best for White to get an opening advange +/= (I speak for the previous work, and we will see what is coming now)

IP Logged

Cresspahl
YaBB Newbies

Audiatur et altera pars

Reply #2 - 02/25/06 at 13:04:50
Post Tools
JN wrote on 02/24/06 at 09:11:01:
It seems to me that the Rubinstein French [1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3/Nd2 dxe4] serves black well. It is even played at the highest level occasionally. Are there any books dealing with the Rubinstein? I guess that there must be a number of repertoire books for white dealing with it, but are there any "real" books on the Rubinstein?

To get an impression of the real dangers in the Rubinstein for Black it might be a good idea to wait for Khalifman's 6th Volume of Opening for White according to Anand. It deals with the Rubinstein and 3...Nf6. Have a look at the content here: http://chess-stars.com/graphics/eshop/books_special/Anand6_Contents.pdf

I got volumes 2, 3 and 5 and think they are worth every penny. El Khalif surely has something in mind against the Rubinstein, so you might check his upcoming book. By the way, volume 7 is in print as well - maybe they come out simultaniously? Should be due in March 2006 then.

Kind Regards,

Cresspahl

IP Logged

Martin Carpenter(Guest)

Reply #1 - 02/24/06 at 11:30:15
Post Tools
It tends to get dealt with along with the 3 Nc3 Nf6 french lines. This makes sense since it often transposes into Burn's variation - 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 Bg5 de.
(Which is certainly popular at a high level and worth studying as an alternative line along with the Rubenstein anyhow.).

So the Psahkis 3 Nc3 Nf6 covers it as does I believe (I don't have this one) the 3 Nc3 French book from Gambit. iirc the Everyman Classical French book doesn't cover the pure Rubenstein's lines.

Of these the Psahkis book is certainly more recent and very likely more thorough. Might be worth checking to see if you can bear the typesetting though.

IP Logged

JN

C03,C10-C11: Book on the Rubinstein French?
02/24/06 at 09:11:01
Post Tools
It seems to me that the Rubinstein French [1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3/Nd2 dxe4] serves black well. It is even played at the highest level occasionally. Are there any books dealing with the Rubinstein? I guess that there must be a number of repertoire books for white dealing with it, but are there any "real" books on the Rubinstein?
« Last Edit: 08/01/11 at 18:12:44 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo