Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Moving forward...... (Read 3052 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re:  Moving forward......
Reply #5 - 06/13/06 at 10:22:07
Post Tools
TRIAD wrote on 06/10/06 at 01:19:34:
While to some this might seem like I'M overwelming myself it is anything but! The bulk of my time is spent with Euwe. ALthough there are days where I'M not up for heavy duty studying so I find my time better spent either studying tactics, reading Nunn's work, or playing over Gligoric's games! In no way is this like a trip to the salt mines! I"m actually enjoying this a great deal! I guess I have been bitten by the bug but it seems the more I understand of the game
the more fascinating it gets...heck and I'M just starting out! If only I had done this before Shocked

Keep with the Euwe book, me and many other dutchies learned the game by his books. It is excellent to get above the novice level, especially if you combine it with tactics as you do.

Personally I didnt like the Nunn book. Some of the games are usefully annotated but the majority of the games had the problem that the annotations were either too basic or too high level.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #4 - 06/10/06 at 06:29:57
Post Tools
Welcome to the forum. You seem to be doing all things right which will enhance your chess understanding and will make you a connoisseur. Will Gligoric and Nunn can stop you from hanging pieces in a chess game is a different question and the answer is ‘No’.

Please don’t get me wrong. I don’t mean to dampen your spirits. An intelligent adult can understand anything, particularly if it is well explained by a teacher like GM Nunn. In fact, Dvoretsky is not as difficult to understand as he is portrayed to be. I do not know why I haven’t started a Gligoric fan club. Anybody with 1900+ points can and another 150 points by spending 100 hrs on those 30 games in Understanding Chess Move by Move.

Long and short of my blurb is this. What you are doing will most definitely impart knowledge. But they cannot, imho, impart the necessary skills to win games in ICC. It’s a sad reality. Knowledge and Skill are two different animals at the lower end of the chess spectrum.

My suggestion would be this.

1. Keep all your books in your shelf excepts the ones on tactics, combination and basic end games. Perhaps, Pachman’s Strategy books could be added to the list.

2. You might consider joining improveyourchess.com and spending at least half an hour a day there. (I’ll collect my commission from GM Kosten later  Wink)

3. I suggest, you visit Exeter chess club page pronto. It has lot of goodies. Find your level and way, thro’ the maze there. Study what is interesting.

4. Work as much as you can with your tactics, end game and basic strategy. Keep your openings simple and I know you will not carried away by the opening discussions of the mad guys who virtually live here. (BTW, it is the best place to have meaningful discussions)

Six moths down the line, Gligoric and Nunn will be extremely useful.

Sorry for being such a spoil sport.

CastleRock

IP Logged

TRIAD
YaBB Newbies

Whats up Doc?

Reply #3 - 06/10/06 at 01:19:34
Post Tools
It is funny someone mentioning Nunn's Understanding Chess Move by Move. After I hit another chapter in Euwe's work I grabbed this book and played through the first game. While the concepts seem rather straight forward I was able to grasp the underlying logic to alot of the moves played in the game. This coupled with Nunn's overall 'game theme' proved enjoyable!

Yes, I do have a copy of Tal's Life and Games! I have yet to go through this epic work but I will get around to it! When I'M not reading Euwe/Nunn or studying tactics I'M ussually playing through the games of another great master. That master being Svetozar Gligoric's 'I Play Against Pieces.' I really have become a fan of Gligoric's after playing over some of his games. It seems with every chapter I finish up studying in Euwe's work the more sense these GM games make! Looking forward to getting to the chapter on the Kings Indian in Gligoric's work since I do like this opening!

While to some this might seem like I'M overwelming myself it is anything but! The bulk of my time is spent with Euwe. ALthough there are days where I'M not up for heavy duty studying so I find my time better spent either studying tactics, reading Nunn's work, or playing over Gligoric's games! In no way is this like a trip to the salt mines! I"m actually enjoying this a great deal! I guess I have been bitten by the bug but it seems the more I understand of the game
the more fascinating it gets...heck and I'M just starting out! If only I had done this before Shocked

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/10/06 at 00:15:32
Post Tools
Hello and welcome to the forum! It`s always nice to see some new people posting! I`ll just try give a brief response, I need to go to bed .  Smiley

Because chess is so big, there is so much information you can devote your chess-time to. It`s so big you might spend a lifetime studying it. Certain things will only improve your skill at the game marginally before you reach a certain level (so in a sense it is a waste of time), certain things you don`t need to study unless you are an IM and some things you should really study from the start. You really don`t want to waste your time! You want to improve as much as possible with the time you devote to the game. Huge numbers of chess-players spend an immense amount of time studying things that really don`t make them better chess-players.  

The difficult thing is that you can "waste" your time without beeing aware that you are doing so, because you just don`t know what to study.

* So the smartest thing you do when you try to improve is to ask for advice and talk to other chess-players.  I would recommend that you check out if there are any chess-club in your area, because just beeing among other chess-players can give you a lot of input. And of course that you hang around here on the forum  Wink

* If you do nothing else; continue with your tactics. That can make you a better chess-player very quickly.

* If you want to spend some more time on chess; make sure that you know how to play the basic endgames well.

It is my strong belief that the two things above will give you the most "ooomph for the money". You can get to 2000 without spending time on much else.

Just one thing I would warn you against; don`t spend unproportional amounts of time on openings. That really is a big mistake. Increase your skill at the game first of all, not your book-knowledge.

Continue to have fun with chess and please stay around on the forum!

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Reply #1 - 06/09/06 at 23:28:41
Post Tools
Welcome TRIAD,

I think the Euwe books are an excellent start.  I can also recommend Yasser Seirawan's series: "Play Winning Chess", "Winning Chess Tactics", "Winning Chess Endings", etc.  There are 7-8 books in this series (all of them "Winning..." in the title) and I haven't heard anything bad about any of them. 

In particular, I think his "Play Winning Chess" is probably the best introductory book for chess players.  From there I would focus on tactics by going through puzzle books (Gilliam's "Simple Chessmates" is my personal favorite for new players) or another way to study tactics is playing over complete games in a "tactics-heavy" collection. I enjoyed "Art of the Checkmate" a great deal. Getting a chance to play a "Greek Gift" sacrifice feels good.

Besides hitting the books, make sure you play against people who are better than you. Write the moves down, then analyze the game.  Don't just look over it, but really study it and figure out where and why you went wrong. A computer is perfect for tactical mistakes and hopefully you can compare your opening to theory to see what others recommend. If you can, try and get a strong player to look over you games and help you find your weaknesses or explain concepts that are fuzzy to you. Thats the absolute best method to learn the game.  You learn about the entire game (opening, middle, end) this way.

Finally, I think most people would enjoy John Nunn's "Understanding Chess Move-by-Move".  It's a little advanced in some places but he literally explains each move.  Not bad.  Oh yeah, make sure to grab a collection of well annotated games from a very strong player and take your time going over his/her notes.  "Life and Games of Mikhail Tal" by Tal is perhaps my favorite.  He is SUCH a good writer and his games are a lot of fun.

Yeah... so... have fun, take your game seriously, and learn from your losses. 

Best of luck,
Nietzsche

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

TRIAD
YaBB Newbies

Whats up Doc?

Moving forward......
06/09/06 at 21:26:23
Post Tools
 Hello, my very first post on a very interesting site. First off, a little bit about my experiences with the game of chess. I learned the game awile ago but never really played all that much. Nevermind,  trying to understand how the game is played. A couple of years ago I started to try to understand the game. I started to aquire numerous chess books, most of which I did not read, on openings, middlegames, endings, games collections, etc. I toyed around with some of these books picking up some bits of info on the game here and there but my game & understanding of it was very poor. So I drifted away from the game until about a year ago  when I decided to come back and revisit my chess adventures...or lack thereof.

Firstly,  I did the right thing by picking up a book, yet another  Wink, for a novice. I read through it and I now had a firm foundation in regards to a very basic understanding of the game.  From there I started studying tactics from books I already had on this subject. I also made some basic studies of some openings. Then came the fateful day when I joined ICC. Oh man talk about getting smashed Grin It was obvious I still did not know much about this game and if I was going to make any headway on ICC, with my game, & understanding of chess I would have to work very hard.

Currently I have put away all the opening books for now. I'M currently reading and studying Euwe's Middlegame book Vol. I. I have been doing so for about 4 weeks now. I can say that by reading this book it is amazing how little I understood about the game and how much farther I have to go! But since I started reading Euwe's work I understand the underlying principals of the various openings & the phrase "Pawns are the soul of chess" makes alot of sense now Wink I'M also keeping up on the tactical study by solving some puzzles when I'M not heavy into Euwe. I guess after I complete Vol.I  I will move on to Vol.II which deals with more dynamic features. I guess after I'M done with Euwe's works I will study some endgames and from there I will put in the time with my openings study.

I have been enjoying working through Euwe's books! I'M just wondering from some of you more knowlegable types am I on the right track? Any of you work through Euwe's Middlegame Books? Any chapters that require special attention?Also any additional advice in regards to improving is always greatly appreciated Wink    

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo