Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C01: Status of Exchange 4.c4 Variation (Read 1779 times)
Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Status of Exchange 4.c4 Variation
Reply #4 - 10/09/06 at 09:01:37
Post Tools
Yes and no (I have played both as black Grin)
Yes the play is similar as in the pieces go to the same squares and the same center squars are important. No in the sense that the e-file is open leaving less for white to play for (no minority attack, no real chance of a kingside attack). So (my subjective opinion) against the CK it is a winning try, but against the French it promises very little (the lines pointed out by Dom and some others). In fact I havent spent much time on this variation of the French and based my line solely on the French book by Uhlmann (1 game) and so far havent run into trouble with it. I face it at least once a year, because one clubmate plays this line with white, so I always play the french against him. So far 4-0 score in my favour. Cool

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

jepoma
YaBB Newbies

Always better to sacrifice
your opponent's men

Reply #3 - 10/07/06 at 10:31:08
Post Tools
Thanks to Klick for pointing out I had done a search on only the last week of posts and telling me how to search the whole lot. Some hard facts are indeed to be found in previous posts.

Many thanks to dom for the insight into the statistics (Miezis' overall 1:51% 1/2: 31% 0: 18% indeed drops sharply to 1:17% 1/2: 58% 0: 25% when his opponent is >2500 i.e. at least as good as he is) and, more importantly, into the weaknesses of Miezis' lines. Those are some of the hard facts I was looking for.

Any more hard facts, anyone ? Can I indeed safely not include 4.c4 into my White repertoire ?

BTW, I have read diverging views as to whether the French Exchange 4.c4 is similar to the Caro-Kann Panov-Botvinnik Attack. As I currently have the latter in my repertoire, it'd be nice to include the French Exchange 4.c4 if it indeed is strategically and conceptually similar and if it indeed has some punch (which I now doubt). Any opinions on this ?

IP Logged

dom
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 10/07/06 at 10:00:28
Post Tools
No problem with opening a new thread about c4 in the Exchange.. Cool
About the statistics: if you look at chessbase online database, and search for Miezis's games with c4 and opponents rated above 2500, you'll see no glory for Miezis ...
Miezis played some weird moves in the games: 4...Nf6 5.Nf3 Bb4+ 6.Bd2 (Watson marked it as dubious, exchanging the bishop in an isolated pawn position) or 4...Nf6 5.Nf3 Be7 6.Be2 (the only advantage is to let Black choose the system, and maybe a good one is strong point system like in Miezis-Short,Leon 2001...but dxc4 is still playable and transpose in some "main lines" with Bxc4: 5.Nf3 Be7 6.Be2 oo 7.oo Nc6 8.Nc3 Be6!? Miezis-Short,Leon 2001 and light-square bishop was inactive for White)

Be7 maybe viewed as a "safe" line comparing it with Bb4, but the move and the system can be played like in:
4...Nf6 (if 4...Bb4 White can play Nge2 instead of Ngf3 newt moves) 5.Nf3 (5.Nc3 Be7) Bb4+!? 6.Bd2 (Miezis's move ; 6.Nc3 is normal: 6...oo 7.Be2 dxc4 8.Bxc4 Re8+ 9.Be3 Be6!?) Bxcd2+ 7.Nbxd2 oo 8.Be2 dxc4 9.Nxc4 Nbd7 10.oo Nb6 11.Ne3 Be6 12.Ne5 Qd6 Ellenbroek-Stellwagen,Wijk aan Zee 2001 (Watson)

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #1 - 10/05/06 at 10:53:18
Post Tools
Hello, welcome to the Chesspublishing-forum!  Smiley

The forum is over 5 years old and thousands of posts have been made. Often this type of questions have been extensively dealt with before, so it is better if you make a search for them and read them before posting. It's better if we continue posting in the established threads.

Use the search-function in the top-menu and/or screen the thread-titles of the French-section.

A quick search and I came up with two places, but there are more:

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1151226305/17#17
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1102647301;start=all

4.c4 is nothing to worry about, I'm just happy when I see it.

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

jepoma
YaBB Newbies

Always better to sacrifice
your opponent's men

C01: Status of Exchange 4.c4 Variation
10/05/06 at 08:15:45
Post Tools
I am revisiting my handling, as White, of the French exchange. I will admit that I sometimes aim for a draw by choosing this line, but the game does not always end up being drawish at all, which is fine with me.

Anyway, my query is about the status of 4.c4. I have indeed noted that if 4.Nf3 and 4.Bd3 are played about one game every three, 4.c4 is played about one game every six and by as highly rated players as 4.Nf3 and by higher rated players than 4.Bd3. Last but not least, it has a success rate of 52% against 46% for both 4.Nf3 and 4.Bd3 (according to ChessBase's 2006 Opening Encyclopedia). The main proponent of 4.c4 is GM Normunds Miezis (2529 FIDE ELO) who wins two thirds of his 4.c4 games, which is not bad at all.

So far, I have failed to find a proper assessment of this line and I wonder if it is worth investigating further.

Any thoughts or, better yet, hard facts out there ?

Many thanks !
« Last Edit: 07/31/11 at 17:58:53 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo