Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C00-C19: Best French books according to Flear (Read 2981 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: Best French Defense books according to Flear
Reply #4 - 11/13/06 at 16:29:45
Post Tools
I find the Pedersen books very nicely presented, but ultimately he had nothing original to say. On the other hand for certain players looking for an introduction they would be good.

IP Logged

ano

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/09/06 at 20:15:58
Post Tools
Glenn Flear slightly prefers Collin's book on the Advance I think because Collins unlike Pedersen plays that opening and can give more of a personal perspective. That being said Glenn still likes Pedersen which seems to offer a nice blend of analysis and explanation and generally that series (apart from the first volume on 3. Nc3) is more up-to-date than Psakhis.

Personally I don't think the format in Psakhis series is that difficult to follow (I agree that it is not as easy to follow as the Pedersen books) and there are plenty of "gems" to be discovered in the notes. For example there is a lot more coverage of the slightly offbeat 6...Qa5 in the Winawer in Psakhis than in Pedersen's 2001 book and that line seems to still be attracting interest.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #2 - 11/09/06 at 09:54:35
Post Tools
If we are talking about relatively recent French defence books, all of these I am afraid leave me cold. Psakhis is very thorough, but the format is awful and it reads more like an encyclopaedia, Pedersen just misses the point too many times, and there are too many gaps in the Collins book.

Am I too harsh  Huh

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #1 - 11/09/06 at 09:09:26
Post Tools
Flear seems to prefer Pedersen series to Psakhis, because more up to date and presentation.
But for Advance volume, he thinks Collins is better than Pedersen because it comes from an active practitioner, thus more personal insight.

I find the Pedersen Advance volume useful, though havn't yet see the Collins. The coverage of the exchange, KIA and other miscellaneous lines in Pedersen's Advance volume is quite handy.

IP Logged

notyetagm

I love ChessPublishing.com!

C00-C19: Best French books according to Flear
11/09/06 at 05:49:58
Post Tools
In a different thread, Mortal_Games wrote:

In New In Chess Yearbook nº80 Glenn Flear talks about the best choices in French defence books

Could someone please post Glenn Flear's recommended books on the French Defense?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 07/31/11 at 09:19:41 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo