Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rantings of Pirc Addict (Read 7981 times)
parisestmagique

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Rantings of Pirc Addict
Reply #4 - 11/21/06 at 17:24:03
Post Tools
I have been a Pirc (and Modern also) addict too but i played also the Sicilian with much more better results. The problem with the Pirc is that white can play inferior moves and still have equal chances ! In the Najdorf or the Dragon for exemple (i know nothing of the Svechnikov but it's the same i think) white has to be precise not to be worse (ok Black even more) and more important he has to take risk to win. In the Pirc white has often a slight advantage with no risk. Also it's white who is deciding the type of game, very strategic or very crude (Austrian attack for exemple). i noticed also that the white's player gives there best against the Pirc because it's a sort of provocation.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #3 - 11/21/06 at 14:27:41
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 11/21/06 at 01:42:57:
I admit it.  Embarrassed  I love the Pirc! I don't quite know why.

There is no need to be ashamed  Cheesy

It's obvious why the Pirc is the best defence to 1 e4. Don't believe the nay sayers who will point you at 1. ...e5 or 1. ...c5. The Pirc allows you to play both  Smiley

I started as a schoolboy on the Dragon, but when I "discovered" theory and began to fear the quantity of it, I thought the Pirc would be a good compromise. Some people will complain that it gives White too free a hand, but I see that as a boon since it gives me lots of variety in sticking to one opening.

I have dallied with the Czech variation and Modern hybrids like the Gurg, Hippo and Tiger, but I too have come back to the Pirc move order. I agree that 4. Bg5 is a tough beast to deal with. As for the Austrian, I don't encounter it that much as my opponents assume I must know all the theory Roll Eyes. As for those who play the Classical (I get a lot of those), I've got my highest opening score of any variation in it, so I have no problem there.

I do occassionally get seduced by the idea or switching to 1. ...e5, 1. ...c5 or going back to the French, but I think hey, my results with this opening are fine and there is no bust for Black in any variation. Plus it gives me the bonus of playing 1. d4 d6! which is scoring well for me.

Smiley Vive le Pirc! Smiley

What we need now is for ChessPub to start giving this defence some more coverage  Exclaim

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #2 - 11/21/06 at 11:56:04
Post Tools
I have dabbled in 1...c5. Being a fan of the Hedgehog, I was attracted to the Sicilian Kan. Albeit, my opponents would not cooperate offering up 2. d4, 2. c3, 2. f4, 2. Nc3 and even 2. a3 instead.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

J-dog

Reply #1 - 11/21/06 at 05:16:15
Post Tools
If you "play against pieces", you should reply to 1.e4 with 1...e5 or 1...c5 instead of 1...d6.  I think Gligoric himself would give similar advice, looking at his favorite defences...

Maybe Vigus can rescue you in the Austrian and Bg5 with his new book!?  I would wait and see before signing the divorce papers...

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Rantings of Pirc Addict
11/21/06 at 01:42:57
Post Tools
I admit it.  Embarrassed  I love the Pirc! I don't quite know why. I have been told it does not suit my style. As, white I play 1 d4 or 1 c4 and I aim for solid, relatively risk free but somewhat dynamic positions.  But still I play the Pirc.

I am not sure how my love affair got started with the Pirc. Some time as a junior I discovered it and could not let it go. So much that I have five different books on the Pirc. Hell, I even bought a book on the Sililian Dragon to  search for  some ideas to incorporate into the Pirc!

I have been beaten badly in some lines in the Pirc and I have scored some glorius victories. Yet I confess I wonder if it is a fully sound defence. Afterall, it has been scorned by the world elite. Prie hardly finds it worthy of mention in the updates on Chesspub.  It is risky, no doubt.  Yet, I play on.

I am not troubled by some of the lines perons thrown at the Pirc. I quite look forward to 4. Bc4. I love to play against the Chineese attack and enjoy the lines with 4 Be3. Yep, I find these lines fun, fun, fun. But hmm, indeed the Pirc is not without problems. The Austrian attack is truly dangerous. The lines with 5...c5 are objectively best for Black, but White can force a draw.  Sad The alternatives to 5...c5 are IMHPO inferior and leave Black strugling  Cry Not to mention the lines with 4 Bg5 which I personally consider to be the most dangerous system against the Pirc move order. So much so that as a 1 d4 player, I sometimes play 2. e4 in reply to 1....d6 just to play this line.

So what is a Pirc addict to do ? Avoid these sytems? But alas, no, I am a Pirc purist. I play 1...d6! and 2...Nf6. I am not into this sissy 1...g6 stuff even though it avoids some of the most dangerous options. (Probably becuase I cannot be bothered to learn the KID and I consdier the Averbakh to be inferior. )

Recently, I have been playing 1....e5 intenting to phrase out the Pirc. But it was not to be. I suffered withdrawal syptoms. She beckoned me back! So I play the Pirc.

But how long can I continue? My course of action is risky. It is easiar to lose to lower rated players with the Pirc. Things can go badly wrong. Is it truly worth it? Hmm.  Undecided

Perhaps it is time for a painful divorce. Perhaps. I know not what to do. For now the Pirc plays on.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo