Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C00-C19: Does French give enough winning chances ? (Read 18715 times)
Mortal Games
God Member

Re: Does French give enough winning chances ?
Reply #61 - 10/25/07 at 20:34:47
Post Tools
It´s not my comments. It´s just the comments of Botvinnik!  Wink

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #60 - 10/25/07 at 19:23:47
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 10/25/07 at 14:44:00:
What else is there to play? The Ruy Lopez? It has been studied even more thoroughly. The Sicilian? It is so "worn out" that in the near future it will turn into rags. The Caro-Kann? It is so dificult to tempt one´s opponent into a risky attack with it.
We must, however, remember that not everybody is suited to the French Defence. The person who does not have a real chess character, who does not have talent of a researcher or who is not prepared to work hard had better play something else! The French Defence is a dificult and dangerous opening!

M. Botvinnik 

I'm not sure I understand your comments about the Sicilian. First of all, there are dozens of Sicilians. I doubt that the Kan or Taimanov are analyzed THAT thoroughly and even in very well-analyzed lines, the game is still very enjoyable, complicated and there are a myriad of possible moves that work well for both sides.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #59 - 10/25/07 at 14:44:00
Post Tools
What else is there to play? The Ruy Lopez? It has been studied even more thoroughly. The Sicilian? It is so "worn out" that in the near future it will turn into rags. The Caro-Kann? It is so dificult to tempt one´s opponent into a risky attack with it.
We must, however, remember that not everybody is suited to the French Defence. The person who does not have a real chess character, who does not have talent of a researcher or who is not prepared to work hard had better play something else! The French Defence is a dificult and dangerous opening!

M. Botvinnik

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #58 - 10/09/07 at 16:04:25
Post Tools
HgMan wrote on 10/08/07 at 19:41:14:
Well, in light of the last couple of comments, maybe exigentsky is onto something:  find reliable responses with minimal risk where Black is not noticeably worse and then play chess!  The French is a great opening to have in one's arsenal, in large part because it unbalances the position.  Some lines are sharper than others (how's that for insight?), but as a system, the French is unlikely to be busted, and Black should be able to find a decent game.  The exchange variation is a nuisance for the Black player hoping to win, but there are more peaceful lines that are not without venom...

I've been thinking of doing just this with the Classical French.  One reason this idea has come to mind is my recent study of Alekhine's with 2.Nc3 d5 3.e5 Nfd7.  If White fails to gambit soon on e6, a Classical French, Steinitz Var. is possible and, I opine, probably optimal when White plays an early Nf3.  E.g. 4.d4 c5 5.Nf3 e6!, quoth I.  So you could play Alekhine's and the French with at least some theoretical overlap.

If you consider the Exchange, Black is definitely better than he is in the Petroff, where Black very often plays ...Ne4-f6!  So it's difficult to believe that in any given game of chess with the Exchange, Black will not find some winning chances.

Contemplating the idea of taking up the French, the Tarrasch veration concerns me the most.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #57 - 10/09/07 at 03:16:02
Post Tools
Well said, HgMan!

Thanks for bringing a positive thought to the pub!

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #56 - 10/08/07 at 19:41:14
Post Tools
Well, in light of the last couple of comments, maybe exigentsky is onto something:  find reliable responses with minimal risk where Black is not noticeably worse and then play chess!  The French is a great opening to have in one's arsenal, in large part because it unbalances the position.  Some lines are sharper than others (how's that for insight?), but as a system, the French is unlikely to be busted, and Black should be able to find a decent game.  The exchange variation is a nuisance for the Black player hoping to win, but there are more peaceful lines that are not without venom...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #55 - 10/08/07 at 10:01:45
Post Tools
Alas, SF probably the same here. Ah, wasted youth indeed.  Hmm - for me too. Probably why I didnt play too much in my twenties. Disturbing to think how many hundreds praps thousands here too in KID, French, Sicilian etc. And still no answers... Undecided

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #54 - 10/08/07 at 08:23:20
Post Tools
Bibs,

Your comments may seem harsh, but I had the same reaction to exigentsky's comment about "tens of hours".  I immediately wondered whether I had put in hundreds or thousands of hours into the French.  

I think I wasted much of my youth and have easily put in thousands of hours just on one opening in chess.
Cry

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #53 - 10/08/07 at 08:16:10
Post Tools
Frankly, exi, I dont know your level, but despite your tens of hours (not much is it?), that still sounds like hogwash. Get Korchnoi's best games and study.

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #52 - 10/07/07 at 23:21:59
Post Tools
If you play the soundest variations that give Black equality, not really. By this, I mean, c5 vs Tarrasch and Nf6 vs Nc3 with dxe4 on Bg5 followed by Nbd7. The Winnawer and Nf6 Tarrasch do offer enough winning chances, but if White knows his stuff, I think he has a noticeable advantage. I've analyzed this for tens of hours and that's my conclusion. Others may disagree and that's fine.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #51 - 10/07/07 at 01:32:59
Post Tools
Yes. Of course.

IP Logged

kalle99

They say I have Aspbergers
syndrome.

Reply #50 - 10/06/07 at 22:28:07
Post Tools
Yeah that one was better. From a psycological point of view you have to find  a way to prepare yourself playing against the exchange variation. Maybe Petrosians old saying works fine :

"It is easier to play for a win from an equal position than from a bad position" (with the context that you should not make risky moves to force a win).

"I Often see in chess forums people asking : " What is the current status of that line ?"&&&&Its a good reasonable question,but who can claim that he knows the answer ?!&&&&Semko Semkov Januari 2008

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #49 - 10/06/07 at 05:05:47
Post Tools
kalle99,

Ok, you got me.  Tongue

That was a rather stupid place to agree to a draw.

Here's one of the key games I've used to inspire me as Black against the the Exchange:

Tatai-Korchnoi, a real classic!

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1082469

IP Logged

kalle99

They say I have Aspbergers
syndrome.

Reply #48 - 10/05/07 at 21:29:35
Post Tools
Well the exchange variation is really hot!!  Look at this one

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1406761

"I Often see in chess forums people asking : " What is the current status of that line ?"&&&&Its a good reasonable question,but who can claim that he knows the answer ?!&&&&Semko Semkov Januari 2008

IP Logged

Prince-Nez

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Reply #47 - 02/13/07 at 16:47:20
Post Tools
Quote:

To add to the collection the magnificent 5 Qe2 v the Petroff. Personally i don't think the exchange is very drawish at all.

An excellent point, Andrew.  I think White can certainly make Black sweat for his draw in that line.  Wink

We work in the dark - we do what we can - we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art. &&~ Henry James

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo