Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Best Queen's Gambit book? (Read 18533 times)
HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Re: Best Queen's Gambit book?
Reply #36 - 10/09/07 at 21:02:59
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 10/09/07 at 11:35:02:
Times change, maybe because this sort of information is now much more conveniently distributed in magnetic form.  Indeed, I very often wish that chess books came with CDs inside the back cover, the way some computer books do.

Sounds a bit like what Marin has done with his book on the Open Games and the Ruy Lopez: text and discussion, and tables at the end of each chapter with theory and analysis...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #35 - 10/09/07 at 12:22:15
Post Tools
Markovich, Willempie

Thank you to both of you for posting your views on this text. Very helpful and will venture a purchase.

Have Dembo's Grunfeld book, so the comparison gives me a fair idea. I actually liked Dembo's book.

Cheers chaps

Bibs

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #34 - 10/09/07 at 11:35:02
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 10/09/07 at 08:38:41:
Yes that is exactly why I dont like it. The analysis are good as far as I can tell, but I just couldnt get through it. Whence I think I loaned it out to someone.

In that case, you won't like Dembo's nice little book on the Gruenfeld.  She offers a tree of well-selected variations and some fresh ideas, but very little insight beyond such remarks as "the game is dynamically equal" or "White lacks full compensation for his pawn."  Nevertheless, I liked it for its concision; Janjgava's work similarly.  Time was, almost all theory books were written this way, especially those originating in the East.  All you needed to read a German chess book was a little chess German. 

Times change, maybe because this sort of information is now much more conveniently distributed in magnetic form.  Indeed, I very often wish that chess books came with CDs inside the back cover, the way some computer books do.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #33 - 10/09/07 at 08:38:41
Post Tools
Yes that is exactly why I dont like it. The analysis are good as far as I can tell, but I just couldnt get through it. Whence I think I loaned it out to someone.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #32 - 10/08/07 at 14:32:04
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 10/08/07 at 11:35:23:
Bibs wrote on 10/08/07 at 10:43:51:
Willempie,

Was thinking of buying the Janjgava QG/Catalan book. What's wrong with it? No chess thus chessbook here so cant browse for myself.
Database dump? No explanatory text?

thank you in advance

Bibs

I certainly wouldnt call it a database dump. But it has as much explanations as a music score.

It has "explanations" that mostly are just say that one side or the other it better, or that it's equal.  It's an old style of writing openings books.  I do think that the book is valuable for the lines that it treats, which are the Tartakover; the Lasker; the black side of the Exchange; ditto the Catalan.  If I were going to take up the QDG, I'd take a serious look at it.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #31 - 10/08/07 at 11:35:23
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 10/08/07 at 10:43:51:
Willempie,

Was thinking of buying the Janjgava QG/Catalan book. What's wrong with it? No chess thus chessbook here so cant browse for myself.

thank you in advance

Bibs

I certainly wouldnt call it a database dump. But it has as much explanations as a music score.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #30 - 10/08/07 at 10:43:51
Post Tools
Willempie,

thank you in advance

Bibs

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #29 - 10/08/07 at 09:48:27
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 10/07/07 at 09:52:07:
HgMan wrote on 10/06/07 at 16:13:51:
It would be very interesting to see a Black repertoire based on the Ragozin/Vienna...

Indeed, and it may be time for a white repertoire in the Catalan too. Maybe Larry Kaufman could do a new double repertoire?!  Smiley

I suggest "drawing with d4" as title Grin

But in any case it would indeed be nice to have a book which has a black repertoire based on the QGD and includes stuff as the catalan. There is one book by Jangjava, but I find it unreadable.

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #28 - 10/08/07 at 02:51:20
Post Tools
I know it's been mentioned numerous times, but Ward's book is very interesting and useful for enterprising players going for the full point.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #27 - 10/07/07 at 16:11:04
Post Tools
Bogdan Lalic covered the Ragozin, the Westphalia and the Vienna in his book on Bg5 systems.  I don't play these, so can't speak to the quality of the coverage or whether Lalic's choices are still relevant.

More generally, Kasparov's DVD provides a good overview of the whole QGD, including a nice lecture on ..h6 and some looks at great games.

LeeRoth

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #26 - 10/07/07 at 09:52:07
Post Tools
HgMan wrote on 10/06/07 at 16:13:51:
It would be very interesting to see a Black repertoire based on the Ragozin/Vienna...

Indeed, and it may be time for a white repertoire in the Catalan too. Maybe Larry Kaufman could do a new double repertoire?!  Smiley

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #25 - 10/07/07 at 09:22:39
Post Tools
HgMan,

The Tartakover is still played at high levels, but I haven't seen many Lasker variations or Pillsbury attacks.  I know the Pillsbury is still popular up to a certain level but I too look for more thorough coverage of the QGD as it's played today.  

I think I won't be much more successful than game collections such as Shirov's Fire On Board, Kasparov's My Great Predecessors Series and Khalifman's Opening for White series.

If you find a book or a series that explains the variations without just providing a database dump, let me know!

Cheers!

Smiley

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #24 - 10/06/07 at 16:13:51
Post Tools

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #23 - 10/06/07 at 15:03:28
Post Tools
I agree Mcdonald's Starting Out is a solid effort, but I had hoped for more variations and theoretical assessments (as in say Cox's Alekhine), perhaps i'm just not the target audience of Mcdonald's work. haven't seen the new Rizzitano to compare to Mcdonald's, but from the samples on the Gambit website it seems Mcdonald's gives considerably more verbal explanation than Rizzitano and will be more useful for the novice in this opening.

Actually, i'm still looking for the QG book that deals adequately with the modern lines, e.g. 5. Bf4, Ragozin, Vienna, with bang up-to-date theory. Now THAT will be one relevant book. I mean, are the old Bg5 main lines (lasker, tartakower etc) really played so much today?!
« Last Edit: 10/07/07 at 02:43:48 by lnn2 »  

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #22 - 10/06/07 at 14:22:42
Post Tools
BTW,

I learned the Queen's Gambit from Alekhin's My Best Games of Chess and  a few other classic game collections.  Maybe that's still the best way to go, as others have mentioned.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo