Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Nimzo-English (Read 29284 times)
fjd
God Member

Re: Nimzo-English
Reply #27 - 07/22/17 at 04:44:22
Post Tools
I suppose my position was better than I gave it credit for. I'm not sure why I didn't go for the ...a5 idea - perhaps I felt like I had to play passively because I figured my position was worse than it actually was...

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #26 - 07/19/17 at 13:28:12
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 07/18/17 at 08:38:08:
Obviously I didn't play so well, but it was rather concerning that I couldn't find an ounce of counterplay the whole game...

If you wanted more active counterplay, there are options like 11...Rb8 (playing with b5 ideas) 12.b4 d5, and an open fight begins. But it is just a matter of taste, you've played pretty well until move 27 or so. I guess your opponent was already a bit frustrated that he has achieved so little from the opening...

After 27.Rgf2 we have a balanced situation. White has pressure on the kingside, Black a solid position - and counterplay on the queenside! You may not have felt it during the game, but 27...f6! 28.g4 a5! shows clearly the dangers for White: the open a-file belongs to Black. - The way you played, 27...Rf6? followed by Rcc6?, your natural counterplay is gone, and you are quickly sliding into a lost position.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #25 - 07/18/17 at 17:02:13
Post Tools
I'd considered 14...Nh7 during the game, but I still don't see an active plan after 15 Nh4 (or 15 Bh3). Again, not trying to draw any theoretical conclusions here, just that I personally didn't feel comfortable on the Black side of this stuff against a strong player.

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 07/18/17 at 09:35:48
Post Tools
Maybe 14. ... Nh7 was an idea worth thinking about, with Ng5 in mind to either open the h-file or trade the knights on a different square than d4.

If you want counterplay in such a position, I don't think that playing the most straightforward moves (like Nb8-c6-e4) amount to that much!

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 07/18/17 at 09:33:46
Post Tools
I can quote from Bent Larsen's best games:

Game Nr. 44 Larsen - Gheorghiu reached the position after Bb4

"Of course this move is absolutely playable and was popular for a few years. But I am of the opinion that it has less legitimization than in the Nimzo, because  there Black eyes the e4 square that has been weakened by d4. Without d4 the pawn structure is much more flexible."

Game Nr. 51 Bobozow - Larsen (!)

"My fundamental disregards towards this move do not hinder me playing it myself."

Same for me. Giving up the bishop pair for nothing directly visible looks a bit strange to me, although Black's position should be solid enough. It also can potentially raise the winning chances.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #22 - 07/18/17 at 08:38:08
Post Tools
I'm interested to see what's proposed in this thread, because I haven't found a solution I'm 100% happy with either. That being said, I've only faced this move order once, in the following rather unpleasant game:

Obviously I didn't play so well, but it was rather concerning that I couldn't find an ounce of counterplay the whole game...

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #21 - 07/17/17 at 11:33:28
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 07/17/17 at 10:55:50:
Bogo Indian Bd2 Qe7 by transposing

Black actually has a choice here, after 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 Nc6 3.d4 e6 4.g3: Bogo-Indian with 4...Bb4+ or offering a transposition to the Open Catalan with 4...d5.

Of the standard Tango sources, the Orlov book and the Benjamin article series went the Bogo way, while the Palliser book headed for Catalonia.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #20 - 07/17/17 at 10:55:50
Post Tools
An alternative option for Black is 1Nf3 Nf6 2 c4 Nc6.

However Black just be willing to play
Zurich variation vs Qc2 Nimzo
Nc6 vs Nf3 Nimzo (where White best  reply is Qc2 since neither g3 or Bg5 are good)
Bogo Indian Bd2 Qe7 by transposing
Tango with a3
Reversed sicilian

This thread was linked  from a recent Nimzo thread

IP Logged

Pcal
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 03/20/15 at 02:19:04
Post Tools
I prefer to play 4. Qb3 (IMO 4. Qc2 is also good  )  One big plus  is that the resulting positions from both 4. Qb3 & 4. Qc2 are very  "English" in nature.  Where the Flor-Mikenas attack and Zviagintev's 4. g4  the characteristics are not.  Although in a few blitz games I've essayed Zviagintev's 4.g4.  and got good results.

Obviously both 4.Qb3 &4. Qc2 are more positional. I think 4.Qb3 is more active than 4.Qc2 (yet 4. Qc2 is less committal)

Both are very solid (Kramnik has played both on numerous occasions) Personally  I do well if I have an active plan to deal with Black when they exchange off the bishop & set's up pawns at c5, d6, & e5.

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #18 - 03/04/12 at 13:00:50
Post Tools
I can't answer your question, but in his new repertoire book Kaufman says this line seems slightly better for White than a Nimzo because Black gets less compensation for the loss of the bishop pair. His main game is Vallejo Pons - Almasi, Nakhchivan 2011. But his main recommendation is 1.d4 and the Nimzo with 4.Qc2.

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #17 - 02/25/12 at 21:04:12
Post Tools
I'm ambivalent on the Nimzo-English and while I haven't looked at it in ages, it looks like a more flexible version for White that offers Black less to bite on. How has the theory changed since? I hate the idea of being worse off than in main lines after 1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 if I choose an independent variation.

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #16 - 10/30/07 at 16:29:54
Post Tools
I actually have the English version of that book (translated). It's not very in depth, as the title suggests, but it does explain many of the key ideas and even covers the Nimzo-English. I would give it 4/5. It's definitely not bad,

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #15 - 10/30/07 at 11:41:46
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 10/30/07 at 11:33:57:
Agree with watson that far too much omitted from the Chess Explained English book. A poor job frankly. Dont recommend it.

That's clear then Smiley

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #14 - 10/30/07 at 11:33:57
Post Tools
Agree with watson that far too much omitted from the Chess Explained English book. A poor job frankly. Dont recommend it.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #13 - 10/30/07 at 10:56:20
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 10/30/07 at 10:34:37:
Willempie wrote on 10/30/07 at 08:35:51:
exigentsky wrote on 10/29/07 at 16:41:03:
I can't say I know it that well, but dxc4 (after Bd3) and b5 seem to be only to win tempos and gain some initiative. Anyway, I've decided to primarily stick with the NID/Alias3 and NIED against Nf3. Thanks for your help!

You may want to check the "chess explained" on the English. I dont have it, but the reviews seem very positive (and the writer is a good analyst). A big part is about the symmetrical of course, but the reversed sicilian and NIED (nice one Wink) are present as well.

John Watson was quite negative to the book on the chess.fm show. The main issue was that too many important lines were completely missing.

Agreed that you shouldnt buy these chess explained or starting out ones for complete coverage. Still there isnt much at all on the NIED in books, it is either not mentioned or avoided. Eg Hansen's English books dont mention it as it is only 1..e5 and 1..c5, Kosten's English repertoire avoids it and eg the Khalifman's Karpov book also avoids it, while you may expect it there. Iirc the starting out book also deals with it btw.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo