Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C03,C10: Wishing to learn the Burn gxf6 variation (Read 5184 times)
Darthmambo

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Wishing to learn the Burn ...gxf6 variation
Reply #5 - 01/19/08 at 01:18:57
Post Tools
SniperOnG7 wrote on 01/11/08 at 20:55:46:
Actually, scratch that. I found that chessbase has a DVDrom by Knut Neven called French with Nc3. I think I'll get this one. It's not one of those with video commentary, which is good because I prefer a "computer-book" format, having had very good experiences with Mihail Marin's Catalan and English and Rogozenko's Dragon DVDroms. But I hope this one on the French is good - I heard they vary in quality  Undecided

The french cd's are pretty good. Also Soltis wrote a book on it too. I don't know how good it is.

IP Logged

SniperOnG7

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/11/08 at 20:55:46
Post Tools
Actually, scratch that. I found that chessbase has a DVDrom by Knut Neven called French with Nc3. I think I'll get this one. It's not one of those with video commentary, which is good because I prefer a "computer-book" format, having had very good experiences with Mihail Marin's Catalan and English and Rogozenko's Dragon DVDroms. But I hope this one on the French is good - I heard they vary in quality  Undecided

IP Logged

SniperOnG7

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/10/08 at 20:01:28
Post Tools
Thanks guys. Yeah, like I expected, most of the good sources are on the net...requiring subscription. It's not that I'm unwilling to buy chess-related stuff, it's just that I don't have a card...

So I guess I'll have to buy the Paskhis book for now.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 01/09/08 at 00:25:30
Post Tools
As is the case with more and more variations, there really is no better source on the gxf6-Burn than Chesspublishing.com, in this case McDonald's French site which has always been excellent.  Wink

You could play through Neil's annotated games to get a feel for the positional and tactical themes and which lines are currently played on GM level, and then consult with a database and Pedersen and/or Psakhis' books to fill in whatever few cracks remain to form a complete Black repertoire.

NB: A White repertoire with 4.Bg5 is suggested in "Chess Openings for White, Explained". The focus there is on the lines 7.Nf3 a6 8.Qe2!?, 7...f5 8.Nc3 Bf6 (here the currently popular 8...a6! goes unmentioned, which makes it all the more attractive as a Black repertoire choice) 9.Qd2 c5 10.d5, and 7...b6 8.Bc4 intending Qe2 and 0-0-0. Black needs to be well-prepared against these quite critical lines.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #1 - 01/07/08 at 21:59:42
Post Tools
Paskhis covered the Burn-exf6 in one chapter (12 pages) of his book: "French Defence - Steinitz,Classical and Other Systems" Batsford Ed. ISBN 0713489413 published 2004.

He gives as refererences many games played by Morozevich in the 2000-2003 years range.

I must add that I recorded plenty games and moves from Pytel (K.) 's analysis in one Europe Echecs  paper published in 1991 (his son Markus has some posts on current forum about some lines of the Burn variation). Some game published in Europe Echecs (Bauer analysis in 2002) and Malcom Pein on daily telegraph web site are interesting too.

Khalifman's books "OWATA" (Opening for White According to Anand) doesn't cover the Burn because White plays ONE line: e5 (and not Bg5) versus the classical Line (Nf6)

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

SniperOnG7

I Love ChessPublishing!

C03,C10: Wishing to learn the Burn gxf6 variation
01/07/08 at 03:28:26
Post Tools
I really want to learn the Burn ...gxf6 varition. It's so dynamic! Unfortunately this comes at a price in that if Black doesn't play with accuracy it can easily backfire  Grin So can anyone recommend me a book which delves deeply into variation? Thanks

Edit: I ahve the Pedersen series btw.
« Last Edit: 07/30/11 at 13:56:17 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo