Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: What is the most annoying Anti-Sicilian?
bars   pie

Rossolimo or Moscow    
  32 (27.6%)
d6/e6/Nc6 3.Nc3    
  2 (1.7%)
Grand Prix Attack    
  14 (12.1%)
Closed Sicilian    
  10 (8.6%)
Morra Gambit    
  10 (8.6%)
2.Ne2 or 2.Nc3 3.Nge2    
  1 (0.9%)
Wing Gambit or 2.b3    
  4 (3.4%)
Alapin Sicilian    
  35 (30.2%)
2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cd4 4.Qd4    
  2 (1.7%)
Other (e.g 2.d3,2.g3,2.Na3,etc)    
  6 (5.2%)

Total votes: 116
« Last Modified by: Chevalier on: 06/02/08 at 12:16:41 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What is the most annoying Anti-Sicilian? (Read 24926 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: What is the most annoying Anti-Sicilian?
Reply #21 - 09/07/08 at 13:24:38
Post Tools
trandism wrote on 09/07/08 at 13:17:53:
The most annoying though - to me at least - is the Alapin Sicilian.

Maybe you should look beyond the traditional 2...d5 and 2...Nf6 then? I always enjoyed 2...d6; I know others who played 2...b6. There is also 2...g6. These are not really bad, though in White's best lines accurate play is demanded to maintain the balance. In return Black plays the game on his own terms.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

trandism

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 09/07/08 at 13:17:53
Post Tools
Just saw this thread, because I have recently added 1.e4 for white - and now have both 1.e4 and 1.d4 in my repertoire - and after years of a slightly dubious 1...d6 universal repertoire as black, I started playing 1...c5 which I hadn't touched since my adolescence years..

The most annoying anti-sicilian is somewhat a different term than the strongest anti-sicilian.. I have no doubts whatsoever that the strongest is the rosollimo-moscow combo..

The most annoying though - to me at least - is the Alapin Sicilian..

In a related issue, have you checked IM Andrew Martin's videos on 1.e4 c5, 2.Nc3 Nc6, 3.Bb5 in Chessbase Magazine 125?

IP Logged

TheRobertsson
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 09/01/08 at 10:45:55
Post Tools
Chess_Addict wrote on 06/12/08 at 07:50:36:
i voted the closed sicilian, not because it is more dangerous than others, but simply because black keeps plying the same positions over and over again! It's boring! Cheesy Espcially here in my region where it is very very popular, I kept playing same positions all year long.
The plans are quite straigh forward for both and i think that theoritically black should be ok.

in my region they also like playing the closed, so im thinking of swiching to 1....e5 (when meeting them) and becouse i know that the most of them plays the  ruy lopez my plan then is to use the marschall (attack) and complicate things for them.

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #18 - 06/23/08 at 09:58:42
Post Tools
Actually, the line I was meaning goes somethig like (I haven't got a board with me): 1.e4 c5 2.c4 Nc6 3.Nc3 e6 4.g3 Nf6 5.Bg2 d5, and now 6.e5 is a mistake I've played twice!
Black's moves seem fairly obvious when you are shown them but, as I say, no one played like this against me over the board. It was some (small) consolation to find Smyslov was once on the White side of this line (maybe with a Black knight on e7 rather than f6). He acquiesced to a short draw.
Ironically, I won the corr game but only because (I suspect) my opponent followed a sharp line given by Fritz which the engine at first calculates as good for Black but later sees the error of its ways.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #17 - 06/23/08 at 09:05:48
Post Tools
I think I know the line you mean (in Maroczy with a little centre where Black develops at Bb7). A computer consistently played this against me - most pieces get exchanged and Black instantly equalises. True, no human player has tried sth like this against me yet as they prefer to either play in usual Sicilian-style, or throw in an early e5 (which is good for Black btw).

imo 2. c4 or 3. c4 is not boring for Black, possibly underrated and neglected. If you don't know what to play and you seldomly face this then it becomes boring (and dangerous!)..

(edit: after a point, playing only Maroczy positions becomes one-sided for White too - but it looks like a decent (calm) second weapon)

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #16 - 06/19/08 at 09:40:55
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 06/18/08 at 16:21:37:
Once you get a few lines down, the antis become much less annoying.  Would rather see one of them than a critical main line, but if I have to vote for an anti, I vote for 2.c4 as one of the most boring.  

I used to play 2.c4 all the time and got good results with it whether transposing into a Botvinnik English or a Maroczy Bind.
Then in a correspondence game an opponent showed how Black can get in ...d5 by force and equalise. I haven't played it since although that may be illogical as no opponent played the 'refutation' against me over the board.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #15 - 06/18/08 at 16:21:37
Post Tools
Once you get a few lines down, the antis become much less annoying.  Would rather see one of them than a critical main line, but if I have to vote for an anti, I vote for 2.c4 as one of the most boring.  

IP Logged

Holbox

Saigón Café

Reply #14 - 06/18/08 at 14:52:29
Post Tools
It depends on your sicilian repertoire, but I like very much the Meeting 1.e4 recomendation against the closed.

1.e5 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.g3 d5 and let's play some chess. I prefer to define things in the center than to play in the flanks leaving some problems "on the air".

But by the way have you seen Tamaz Gelashvili score with 2.b3? Terrific.

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Chess_Addict

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 06/12/08 at 07:50:36
Post Tools
i voted the closed sicilian, not because it is more dangerous than others, but simply because black keeps plying the same positions over and over again! It's boring! Cheesy Espcially here in my region where it is very very popular, I kept playing same positions all year long.
The plans are quite straigh forward for both and i think that theoritically black should be ok.

IP Logged

Hadron

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor..When
will you ever learn?

Reply #12 - 06/12/08 at 03:41:59
Post Tools
This poll fails to take into account the Basman system with Be2, the self same system that Peter Svidler splated some unknown called "Garry Kasparov" at Tilburg in 1997....
HTH
Hadron the Horrendous

I'm reminded again of something Short wrote recently, approximately "The biggest fallacy in chess is the quasi-religious belief in the primacy of the opening."

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #11 - 06/09/08 at 23:15:41
Post Tools
Hmm, I always welcome those antis. Proves me right for not playing a CK to get a similar position, but without the inherent disadvantage.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #10 - 06/07/08 at 20:32:37
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 06/03/08 at 05:10:54:
...but you'll never hear anyone call it that.

just 'the c3 sicilian'.

I have read the Alapin or even the Lasker-Alapin quite a few times. Thanks to 2...d6 I did not find that one the most annoying. I voted for 3.Bb5.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Chevalier

Reply #9 - 06/04/08 at 09:06:01
Post Tools
My personal opinion is that the strongest Anti-Sicilian for White is the Rossolimo/Moscow; interestingly, I face this line more often than the Open Sicilian, regardless of the time control! In fact, I have enough experience in this variation now that I don't find this Anti-Sicilian annoying at all Smiley.

A tricky 2.Nc3 and 3.Nge2 exponent could cause some hassles for Najdorf exponents, e.g. 2.Nc3 d6 3.Nge2 Nf6 4.g3 and now 4...g6 5.d4 will lead to a g3 Dragon, which is completely and utterly harmless - if Black knows the theory. And chances are an advocate of the Najdorf won't. And if Black plays in Najdorf style with 4...a6, then 5.Bg2 b5 6.d3 leads to a Closed Sicilian where the not overly useful ...a6 has been played and Black is commited to a setup with ...Nf6.

Nothing has meaning or value other than the meaning and value that you give it.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #8 - 06/04/08 at 08:08:31
Post Tools
I have the same feelings about the Alapin as kalle99 above. The problem with my repertoire is that it usually avoids an e5/e6 wedge (i.e. white pawn on e5 / black pawn on e6). It has a French feeling, only that you're about to castle soon on the short-side (scary! Huh).

Though, I'm not used to 'passively' defend for a few moves, I find this Anti-Sicilian to be a breath of fresh air as it's teaching me new ideas & a new set-up.

As far as the Closed Sicilian is concerned (which I've voted for this poll), whenever I say to myself 'you finally have a good command of the various slightly differentiated positions', I get to play more and more sophisticated opposition and I'm in need of enhancing my knowledge yet once more.

It's these 2 Anti-Sics that are a bit alien to the d6-Sicilian player, while the Moscow usually leads to normal Sicilian set-ups.  Lips Sealed

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

kalle99

They say I have Aspbergers
syndrome.

Reply #7 - 06/03/08 at 18:07:08
Post Tools
I voted for the Alapin c3 sicilian. I actually think it is better than bb5 sicilian. Or I would rather say more difficult to face in practice.

It is a good opening that deserves the highest of respect. Sicilian players must be VERY prepared against it. I personally play  2..Nf6.

I dont know if it is better than  2..d5 but I chose it more of practical reasons. By playing 2...Nf6 I can avoid the Morra Gambit. When white wants to play the Morra I answer 3..Nf6 to transpose to the Alapin. With other words..reduce the amount of theory to study.

"I Often see in chess forums people asking : " What is the current status of that line ?"&&&&Its a good reasonable question,but who can claim that he knows the answer ?!&&&&Semko Semkov Januari 2008

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo