Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C30-C39: John Shaw: The King's Gambit (Read 207097 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: John Shaw: The King's Gambit
Reply #11 - 10/23/08 at 01:00:51
Post Tools
flaviddude wrote on 10/22/08 at 01:30:45:
The Kings' Gambit is a very complex opening. The repertoire books are good and white needs to know how to answer their recommendations.

The positions that arise are quite different to other openings and difficult to play for both players. Furthermore the opening is still developing. Look at the articles by Stefan Bucker at Chess Cafe or the article in the latest Kaissiber.

I am getting on in years and my over the board ability is falling. Nevertheless I use the King's Gambit in correspondence.  Over the board I would not hesitate to use the King's Gambit against significantly higher rated steady positional players who would expect to beat me. The fact that I know a good deal about the opening has a deterrant effect on my opponents. An Australian called Trevor hay wrote a book on the King's Gambit. For years after wards almost no-one played 1.e5 after his 1.e4. The same thing is happening to me.  

A    further point is that you need good endgame technique to play the Kings Gambit as white.  

The flip side of this argument is that when facing weaker opposition you expect to beat, then this Opening maybe less than desirable.

I maintain my view that the days of a repertoire book for White with the King's Gambit as the center piece are long gone.

Maybe Quality Chess may prove me wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

What I expect is an up to date reference book examining the state of current theory without a bias for either side. That said I still expect Black to come out way ahead.

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #10 - 10/22/08 at 01:30:45
Post Tools
The Kings' Gambit is a very complex opening. The repertoire books are good and white needs to know how to answer their recommendations.

The positions that arise are quite different to other openings and difficult to play for both players. Furthermore the opening is still developing. Look at the articles by Stefan Bucker at Chess Cafe or the article in the latest Kaissiber.

I am getting on in years and my over the board ability is falling. Nevertheless I use the King's Gambit in correspondence.  Over the board I would not hesitate to use the King's Gambit against significantly higher rated steady positional players who would expect to beat me. The fact that I know a good deal about the opening has a deterrant effect on my opponents. An Australian called Trevor hay wrote a book on the King's Gambit. For years after wards almost no-one played 1.e5 after his 1.e4. The same thing is happening to me.   

A    further point is that you need good endgame technique to play the Kings Gambit as white.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #9 - 10/20/08 at 05:36:45
Post Tools
only 1% of chess players become GM. so all others are just amateurs.

As a amateur and ex-club player, but nowdays as scientist and underground chess player, I'm very delighted to slaughter internet chess players on playchess.de server with KIng's Gambit Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 10/20/08 at 01:42:33
Post Tools
trw wrote on 10/19/08 at 23:16:58:
its not the opening is unsound or refuted or scores badly but its romantic days are dead.

Guess what - this is true for all openings popular between 1800 and 1914. The romantic days for the QGD and the English are over too. So this provides zero information.
« Last Edit: 10/20/08 at 12:42:56 by MNb »  

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #7 - 10/19/08 at 23:31:41
Post Tools
It might be dead at GM level (as indeed may most, if not all, of the alternatives to the traditional Lopez after 1.e4 e5), but I can vouch for the fact that the King's Gambit remains popular- and dangerous!- at club level, and is still occasionally seen even up to lower GM level.  Remember that only a small minority of chessplayers ever approach GM level.

If such a KG book is well written I can see it raising a fair amount of revenue from lower-rated players.  I can think of a number of books on gambits that are even easier to equalise against, e.g. Goring, Danish, Max Lange, Belgrade, Smith-Morra etc, that sold rather well despite the openings being shunned at master level.  Or, for that matter, sub-optimal non-gambit lines like the Four Knights and Ponziani.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 10/19/08 at 23:16:58
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 10/19/08 at 21:04:16:
trw wrote on 10/19/08 at 20:46:02:
rossia seems to have gone crazy for an opening whose romantic days are dead.

Must have been the zillionth time these words are written. Peculiar that it still pops up again and again - and scores well.

its not the opening is unsound or refuted or scores badly but its romantic days are dead.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 10/19/08 at 21:04:16
Post Tools
trw wrote on 10/19/08 at 20:46:02:

Must have been the zillionth time these words are written. Peculiar that it still pops up again and again - and scores well.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 10/19/08 at 20:46:02
Post Tools
Fernando Semprun wrote on 10/19/08 at 15:24:43:
TopNotch wrote on 10/18/08 at 14:50:06:
The days for a Kings Gambit repertoire book are long gone, unless its aimed at Black. So this book is likely to be a general treatise on the opening.

Toppy Smiley

Is writing against KG your favourite topic?  Grin

Well the guy is right so its hard to dispute him?

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #3 - 10/19/08 at 15:24:43
Post Tools
The days for a Kings Gambit repertoire book are long gone, unless its aimed at Black. So this book is likely to be a general treatise on the opening.

Toppy Smiley

Is writing against KG your favourite topic?  Grin

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

rossia

Reply #2 - 10/18/08 at 15:07:10
Post Tools
The days for a Kings Gambit repertoire book are long gone

Why do you think so?

Besides, there's no need to build a repertoire for Black, that's already done, for example in Marin's "Beating the Open Games", Emms' "Play the Open Games as Black", or Davies' "Play 1 e4 e5".

I expect nothing better than ULTIMATE KINGS GAMBIT BOOK for WHITE PLAYER.

Recently Johanssons "Fascinating King's Gambit" raised very high level of analysis for KG.

I hope that the Quality Chess book will be able to raise this standard even further up  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #1 - 10/18/08 at 14:50:06
Post Tools

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

rossia

C30-C39: John Shaw: The King's Gambit
10/18/08 at 11:13:38
Post Tools
Hello to everyone!

I'm curious and I can hardly wait for this KG book from Quality Chess: http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/docs/3/news/

This book should be out few months ago, but as we all know, King's Gambit is really a hard topic to write about.

Does anybody has any information regarding this book:

* structure
* repertoire
* opening tree or games

Mr. Aagaard?  Smiley
« Last Edit: 11/01/11 at 18:59:20 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo