Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Schevenigen -- Polish IM (German language) 2 vols (Read 19263 times)
Harald Keilhack
YaBB Newbies

Re: Schevenigen -- Polish IM (German language) 2 vols
Reply #16 - 07/14/11 at 01:05:27
Post Tools
Hi Boki,

unfortunately I don't have the two Shereshevski volumes, only one shorter book by Shereshevski which was published in German language.

It's an old issue, and indeed I had some doubts.
Well, after I already had signed the contract I found some similarities to a certain game comment published elsewhere (I don't remember exactly, maybe the original commentary was by Shereshevski in a Russian magazine).

I informed the guy who brought us too (Ksieski and me) together, a mutual friend, and a lawyer in profession. Wasn't so pleasant to me, he advised I should go over it.

Maybe you know it was discovered recently that a German minister had copied his complete promotion. I don't think one can say this of Ksieski's book. And the line between citing, referring and copying is always very thin.

Best Harald 

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #15 - 07/14/11 at 00:36:49
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 11/02/09 at 17:46:22:
I have just order Band A.  Anybody know where Band B can be obtained?

Chess Central https://www.chesscentral.com/ seams to have both of them. I just ordered band A and B.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

boki

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 07/13/11 at 21:20:21
Post Tools
These books were really quite good, the only remark I have is, that the endgame section in Book A is a 100 % copy from shereshevskys two volume book Mastering the endgame (Volume one  , part sicilian endgames )
Wink

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #13 - 07/08/11 at 14:19:45
Post Tools
Have both of them. Fabulous books, incredibly instructive.

And well done Herr Keilhack - cracking 1.Nc3 book.

Do wish you would write more....

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 07/07/11 at 14:08:18
Post Tools
The first book was indeed excellent. One of the best, if not the best, book on learning how to play Scheveningen structures for either color.

IP Logged

Harald Keilhack
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 07/06/11 at 20:53:07
Post Tools
Hello to everybody,

I’m the publisher and editor of this two-volume-book.

Ksieski: Sizilianisch mit d6 und e6 (Scheveningen and related)

It was back in 1998, nearly ancient times (with the regard of the developing of software), Ksieski’s computer skills had been close to zero, mine were just developing.

Ksieski already had a contract with another publisher, but this publisher was just vanishing.

When I first saw the manuscript, it was clear that it was a work of love written by a great mind – but, as well, written by a somewhat chaotic mind. You know, the Scheveningen is notorious for it’s numerous and lengthy transpositions/transitions, and the systematic of this manuscript was just a mess.

Well, of the positive side, it’s one of my stronger sides to be „systematic“ (somewhat in difference to those who have a great inspiration, but the cooperation between systematic thinkers and inspired thinkers can result in the best efforts!).

So, I brought the manuscript in a (hopefully) sensible order and made some (small) additions – you might know, from the discussion of Ftacnik’s new book on the Najdorf (including the Classical Scheveningen), how easy it is to make serious omissions.

Btw, Ksieski himself often starts the Scheveningen with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nc6 (allowing 5.Nb5, which leads to different positions), which adds to the confusion.

So, as being rather self-critic, I didn’t fully trust the theoretical part of the book myself. While I consider the first part (Volume A), which covers typical motifs (manouvers and pawn-thrusts), typical kind of attacks, typical counter-play and typical endings as a timeless classic. While I was more doubtful about the rather theoretical Volume B.

It happens that I run out of Volume A after relatively short time. I didn’t hesitate to re-print it. It was quite some time later when I run out of Volume B. I feared that this Volume was not perfect, and also I feared it was out-dating.

Maybe the last fear was quite exaggerated and a mis-judgement by me. At least the rather fast developing English Attack was ridicolously dated just two years ofter publishing. Whereas the Classical Scheveningen (and more, it’s playing principles!) still today is rather unchanged (which may be partly because it was ahead of time then thanks to Kasparov’s efforts). Only a few ideas like 12.a5 in one of the tabyas had not been known then.

So, I have less than none copies left of Volume B. And I doubt any other sellers have.
Volume A is still available, the stock is not very large but sufficient. And – Volume A can be studied indepently from Volume B, and should still be a nice addition to the works of Emms, Ftacnik and others (Emms: Najdorf Scheveningen Style is still a favourite of mine).

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 11/02/09 at 21:04:25
Post Tools
Pehaps on: http://www.chesscentral.com/Sizilianisch_mit_d6_und_e6_Band_B_p/301503.htm?

Haven't tried that supplier but even German websites don't seem to have band B.

A small review would be appriciated once you had a look at the book  Wink

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #9 - 11/02/09 at 17:46:22
Post Tools
I have just order Band A.  Anybody know where Band B can be obtained?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

F22

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 11/02/09 at 11:04:51
Post Tools
How does this German/Polish book deal with the Keres attack?

Scheveningen without ... a6 is great as long as you do not face the Keres attack. If I recall correctly Kasparov constantly avoided it against Karpov and the GMs who still allow it play 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. g4 h6 which to me is not that attractive.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 11/01/09 at 20:18:49
Post Tools
Phil Adams wrote on 11/01/09 at 17:19:15:
michele wrote on 01/15/09 at 08:41:21:
I think so,... but as I said I put them away as I am not a big theory dog,... The problem with the sicilian is NOT the sicilian, (even though Keres called it the Silicide Defence), it is / are all the 'other' systems (e.g. GP Attack, Smith Morra, Moscow, Bc4, KIA) you have to learn to just get your head around it.  I would recommend the Romanian GM's book though for these out of Sicilian type universes.  GM Rogazin -- please forgive spelling.  Really handles all the possible systems and ideas for black.  And is objectively superior to any other books on the market for white. (..._
t

I guess you mean Rogozenko's "Anti-Sicilians - A Guide for Black" - a good book IMHO, although a few years old now.

Palliser's more recent "Fighting the Anti-Sicilians" is also useful and deals with some different ways for Black.

Regarding the Scheveningen, the section in Jansa's "Dynamics of Chess Strategy" remains one of the very best tools for quickly getting to the core of what the classical main lines (White Be2, 0-0) are all about, in spirit and in detail.

There are also a couple of games in Suba's book "Dynamic Chess Strategy"which  give great insights into this opening.

Games of life-long practitioners such as Andrey Sokolov can teach you a lot.

From the white side, Geller is possibly the best classical model.

The main problem has always been the Keres Attack. To allow it? If so, how to deal with it? To avoid it by clever move orders (but then what else are you letting yourself in for?).

And of course in recent years we have faced the extra problem of the English Attack. One would have thought that if the English Attack is dangerous against the Taimanov, it would be even more so when Black is committed to an early ...d6.

All in all, a lot to think about, a lot of typical positions and maneouvres to master, and a lot of move order issues to sort out.

One can understand why so many sub-elite players go for the stereotyped simplicities of the Dragon and the Sveshnikov ("an opening for idiots" - Nigel Short).

thanks for the Suba reference. Adjorans slightly unussual books also contain a few Scheveningen nuggets.

I'm drawn to the Scheveningen because I feel it is an opening where understanding matters. Stereotyped play will get you in a lot of trouble in my experience. Still it would be nice to have a book where all the different move-orders are discussed. Transpositions everywhere which gives me the uneasy feeling that I might miss a few ... .

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 11/01/09 at 17:19:15
Post Tools
michele wrote on 01/15/09 at 08:41:21:
I think so,... but as I said I put them away as I am not a big theory dog,... The problem with the sicilian is NOT the sicilian, (even though Keres called it the Silicide Defence), it is / are all the 'other' systems (e.g. GP Attack, Smith Morra, Moscow, Bc4, KIA) you have to learn to just get your head around it.  I would recommend the Romanian GM's book though for these out of Sicilian type universes.  GM Rogazin -- please forgive spelling.  Really handles all the possible systems and ideas for black.  And is objectively superior to any other books on the market for white. (..._
t

I guess you mean Rogozenko's "Anti-Sicilians - A Guide for Black" - a good book IMHO, although a few years old now.

Palliser's more recent "Fighting the Anti-Sicilians" is also useful and deals with some different ways for Black.

Regarding the Scheveningen, the section in Jansa's "Dynamics of Chess Strategy" remains one of the very best tools for quickly getting to the core of what the classical main lines (White Be2, 0-0) are all about, in spirit and in detail.

There are also a couple of games in Suba's book "Dynamic Chess Strategy"which  give great insights into this opening.

Games of life-long practitioners such as Andrey Sokolov can teach you a lot.

From the white side, Geller is possibly the best classical model.

The main problem has always been the Keres Attack. To allow it? If so, how to deal with it? To avoid it by clever move orders? But then what else are you letting yourself in for?

And of course in recent years we have faced the extra problem of the English Attack. One would have thought that if the English Attack is dangerous against the Taimanov, it would be even more so when Black is committed to an early ...d6.

All in all, a lot to think about, a lot of typical positions and maneouvres to master, and a lot of move order issues to sort out.

One can understand why so many sub-elite players go for the stereotyped simplicities of the Dragon and the Sveshnikov ("an opening for idiots" - Nigel Short).
« Last Edit: 11/01/09 at 23:51:40 by Phil Adams »  

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #5 - 11/01/09 at 15:57:08
Post Tools
Try Emms's book, How to Play the Najdorf, Scheveningen Style. 

Or wait for the Ftacnik book that is supposed to come out next year.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/01/09 at 07:24:34
Post Tools
It amazes me that there are so few English books on the Scheveningen. Pritchett's SO: Scheveningen isn't a real starting out book, but more of a repertoire of Scheveningen without a6. Best material I dug up is about 30 pages in "Dynamics of Chess Strategy" by Jansa.

Are these German books accessable for some without knowledge of the German language?

Anyway, as I am constructing a Scheveningen repertoire with a6 if find this a bit frustrating.

IP Logged

michele
YaBB Newbies

My Life is a Rook Ending.
 I hope its Drawn! ;-))

Reply #3 - 01/15/09 at 08:41:21
Post Tools
I think so,... but as I said I put them away as I am not a big theory dog,... The problem with the sicilian is NOT the sicilian, (even though Keres called it the Silicide Defence), it is / are all the 'other' systems (e.g. GP Attack, Smith Morra, Moscow, Bc4, KIA) you have to learn to just get your head around it.  I would recommend the Romanian GM's book though for these out of Sicilian type universes.  GM Rogazin -- please forgive spelling.  Really handles all the possible systems and ideas for black.  And is objectively superior to any other books on the market for white.

In closing,... I am more surprised when I see the Sicilian proper on the board then excited that I am going to get to play a dynamic and interesting game,... So I put the books away for now as it is too discouraging to try and keep up with the tomes of theory on just the GP Attack alone.

anyway,... hope the above helps,... the polish books are by far the best and most complete,... They are probably not translated into english because they would put a whole lot of other publishing companies whose soul purpose is to sell opening novelle out of business. 

Recommendation:// If you want to play the Sicilian, buy, beg or borrow the two vol set of Polish Wisdom and find the Romanian GM book about the 'other' Sicilians.  And then pray for your opponent to play e4, but also pray hard that you live long enough to learn all the material in the aforementioned books.

good luck, and good night

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 01/15/09 at 00:10:55
Post Tools
Has to be the Ksieski books.

Zbigniew Ksieski
Sizilianisch mit d6 und e6 - Scheveninger System und Verwandtes
Band A: Mittelspielpraxis
156 pages, 223 diagrams, hardback, 1998.

Band A is on middlegames and endgames; really good stuff. Band B is theory and I think game-based (I don't have it).

Btw. Zeller's "Sizilianisch im Geiste des Igels" is also very instructive and has material that could be relevant to Scheveningen and Najdorf players, not just the Kan. In Zeller's book Nbd7,Qc7, b5/b6 and Bb7 is almost always part of Black's setup, but he discusses how many lines can be reached from various early move orders.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo