Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Improve your Chess at Any Age - Andres Hortillosa (Read 53459 times)
katar

look another year went
by

Re: Improve your Chess at Any Age - Andres Hortillosa
Reply #49 - 12/31/09 at 20:10:54
Post Tools
Everyman has the usual free excerpt in PDF
http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Improve_Your_Chess_at_Any_Age

Congrats Andres on publishing a chess book with a major publisher!!!  THat's an amazing achievement in its own right.

As one who said a few coarse comments in the past, i apologize and i will give your book the serious look that it deserves.  Best wishes and happy new years.  THanks.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #48 - 12/31/09 at 17:16:19
Post Tools
Dear Friends,

The book, after months of waiting, is finally hitting stores next week or so. I received my author copies three days ago. The latest material in the book is from the 2009 World Open (July).

I would like to thank friends including regulars and guests of this forum for their encouraging support of the effort.

If you wish to receive an extract of the book, please visit Everyman Chess. If you wish to get the book directly from me, please email me at rook@USMilitaryChess.org.

Andres D. Hortillosa
Improving Player

IP Logged

TimS

Reply #47 - 09/21/09 at 13:42:00
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 09/21/09 at 13:30:46:
An additional remark to the point about good teachers and playing strength.

In the game Go exist a long tradition about teaching and what's about the thinking and training process. There are obvious structural similarities to chess. One advice about teaching is the search for own game reviews by players being about two grades stronger. The reason for this is the opinion, that those players can often give better advice for reaching the next grade than strong dan-players.

You find this in scientific education sometimes too. Student tutor's sometimes can give better advice about introduction books than PH.D.'s.

A FM on the way to IM or GM needs other training resources than a 1200 rated 40 yo on the way to 1500. The chess community is more fixed to ratings than to logical thinking if it's about training, i.e. developing human resources. A good sport psychologist will give often better advices than loads of GM's without interest in teaching. This holds even if the psychologist doesn't know anything about chess.

Dan Heisman has been mentioned here. Personally I'm interested about content continuing the excellent material he gives. If there's some good stuff I don't care how strong the author is. If it's bad or too heavy stuff, I put it away or lay it back for the day I can carry it.

I was with you most of the way ...

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #46 - 09/21/09 at 13:30:46
Post Tools
An additional remark to the point about good teachers and playing strength.

In the game Go exist a long tradition about teaching and what's about the thinking and training process. There are obvious structural similarities to chess. One advice about teaching is the search for own game reviews by players being about two grades stronger. The reason for this is the opinion, that those players can often give better advice for reaching the next grade than strong dan-players.

You find this in scientific education sometimes too. Student tutor's sometimes can give better advice about introduction books than PH.D.'s.

A FM on the way to IM or GM needs other training resources than a 1200 rated 40 yo on the way to 1500. The chess community is more fixed to ratings than to logical thinking if it's about training, i.e. developing human resources. A good sport psychologist will give often better advices than loads of GM's without interest in teaching. This holds even if the psychologist doesn't know anything about chess.

Dan Heisman has been mentioned here. Personally I'm interested about content continuing the excellent material he gives. If there's some good stuff I don't care how strong the author is. If it's bad or too heavy stuff, I put it away or lay it back for the day I can carry it.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #45 - 09/17/09 at 09:00:35
Post Tools
Does anyone have any updates on this book? Everyman states the book should be published either during October or November.

Regardless of whether I buy the book or not, I will certainly have a close look at it.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

neuronet
YaBB Newbies

Struggling patzer

Reply #44 - 04/09/09 at 17:19:55
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/09/09 at 17:14:06:
Really?  The father of one of my best chess students was a PhD in neuroscience.  That doesn't happen to be you, does it?

Nope, I'm childless.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #43 - 04/09/09 at 17:14:06
Post Tools
neuronet wrote on 04/09/09 at 14:14:09:
I'm a PhD in neuroscience...

Really?  The father of one of my best chess students was a PhD in neuroscience.  That doesn't happen to be you, does it?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Zatox

Reply #42 - 04/09/09 at 14:52:20
Post Tools
TN wrote on 01/30/09 at 23:02:04:
Thanks for the information about the author's rating kylemeister.

I tend to agree with you and Markovich. I am quite surprised at Everyman's current choice of authors for their upcoming books, as earlier they used to have mostly GM authors and some IM authors, but not only has the trend been reversed, but now they have untitled authors for several of their upcoming books.

Looking at the ratings of some of their new contributions, maybe I should write a book for Everyman Wink.

I think that the name "Everyman" means that Every man can write a book for them.

'Experts vs The Sicilian' is a great book, but it is not the Bible. - TopNotch

IP Logged

neuronet
YaBB Newbies

Struggling patzer

Reply #41 - 04/09/09 at 14:14:09
Post Tools
Geez people chill out. Wait for the freaking book to come out and then make your judgments based on its contents.

There was a lot of jealousy when another New England amateur made tremendous improvements and published a book about it--Michael de la Maza. Such silly backlash against a 2000-rated player was intense and laughable.

Those rated 1800 are probably better able to tell those of us rated 1400 how to reach 1600. They are closer to the mindset of the patzer. Who would you rather have teach your kid basic arithmetic: a renowned college professor of mathematics specializing in algebraic topology, or a renowned elementary school teacher?

I'm a PhD in neuroscience, but that doesn't mean I'll be able to teach you neuroscience effectively. Many science journalists, with a "mere" amateur interest in the subject, are much better at bringing the excitement and message to the general public than I would be.

Andres: good luck, and I recommend don't listen to the haters. Steer clear of this forum for a bit and worry about your chess. Otherwise you will burn out, get all stressed, obsessed about your ratings, and your performance will drop. Meditate, relax, and go for it, bro. I want you to succeed even if the nippy little haters here don't.

Of course, I'm just a crappy patzer. Smiley

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #40 - 04/03/09 at 22:04:05
Post Tools
trw wrote on 04/03/09 at 18:05:38:
adh2050 wrote on 02/18/09 at 03:00:57:
I am not sure if you are aware but the majority of chess players have an average rating of less than 1400 USCF,

This may surprise you but I know fine coaches who are under 1700 that make better coaches than those over 2200. This is a known fallacy in most people's thinking and apparently including yours. You think that for someone to be qualified to write a book on chess improvement, he or she must first get to a certain rating preferably master level.

Point 1) The uscf average rated player is below 700 I believe its 642 to be exact from last publication of the statistics but it is indeed below 700. This is because of scholastics and how inaccurrate ratings are for kids and people below 1300.

On score 2, I agree with you that rating/title does not dictate skill as a teacher or writer. One of the best teachers I encountered over the years was a 1900. I also am particularly fond of a certain FM. Every IM/GM I have personally encountered  is disgusting as a teacher (they seem to make better writers probably cause the editors help to get the points across). Excellent player but they have no idea how to explain their massive amounts of knowledge. However, I don't think a single person has disparaged you on this basis leading to the next point.

On score 3, I agree with the dissidents. I am a player who has improved 900 rating points in a 12 month period. I do not feel my own gains even qualify me to write such a book. Certainly a person who hasn't even gained 70 points is not qualified. You have made 0 improvement. It is great you've improved your self confidence to feel you have. Or you have discovered a new system to play by. Or you notice your training paying off in your head... but in terms of measurable gains (ratings) it is not there. This is what brings skepticism to the table. There is no way to measure your success.

In any event, I will likely look at the book. If it has merit i'll buy it... if it doesn't then not for me but best of luck to you and its target audience anyways.

(PS I only used myself as a comparison point to show you the kind of rating gains that can't be denied improvement has occurred).

Hi TRW,

First, congratulations in gaining 900 points in one year. That is an awesome accomplishment especially if you were 1600 when it started because then your gain would make you a 2500-player. But even without giving regard to your starting point, it is still a tremendous accomplishment worthy of a salute.

Note also that the impressive gain when you are starting at 1100 or less would only make you an Expert. If you are now an Expert, improvement from hereon, as others would sadly tell you, becomes a crawl when it comes to rating.

On a different note, when you are rated below 2000 and you start winning against FMs and IMs, I would dare say you are improving especially if this had never happened to you ever in your chess experience. There is a natural lag between rating gains and actual improvement chesswise.

By the way, the improvement is not just in my head. It is not something I just feel. One unscientific proof are the comments titled players make after the game about my play relative to my rating. The other proof is the outcome. I have never beaten an IM in any tournament, weekend or week-long in duration, have you?. This was an IM norm tournament, 9-RR where everyone tends to risk nothing because of what is at stake.

But you are correct to argue that in the end gains in rating are the ultimate measure of improvement. In my case, a gain of 33 points from the Mid-America Open and possibly some 60 points from this IM Norm tournament (just two weeks later) would bring my gain to almost 100 points three months into 2009. If that is all I get for the rest of the year, I remain happy.

My goal before the year ends is to reach over 2000 USCF and to get over 2200 FIDE. When that happens, I am sure others will still argue that it does not amount to a full measure of improvement. In any case, my satisfaction in my improvement scheme will be any less. If my book helps someone who is languishing at 1600 get to 2000, I will proudly wear it as a crown of great success.

For most amateur players, a gain of 50 to 75 in one year once you are a Class A or Expert player is a cause for celebration. This book is primarily aimed at players rated under 2000.

One last note: We are forgetting that an improving player does not ever arrive - because he always seeks to improve. And that is all what I am claiming to be.

Best wishes,

Andres D Hortillosa
Improving Player

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #39 - 04/03/09 at 21:04:51
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/03/09 at 16:55:51:
adh2050 wrote on 04/03/09 at 16:26:57:
Hi friends, etc.

Very nice results, contratulations.  Say, what was Boor's final score?

FM Boor finished with 5 points. He only played 8 games. He took a forfeit in the last round against GM-elect Amanov. His other loss was against FM Shankar but it was because his phone went off during the game.

I watched him do postmortems with the other players. I was impressed with his deep understanding of the game. He beat IM Young in a very tense game where both players have had to skate on thin ice.

See my game against him below in the 5th round. I was busted 11 moves into the opening but his 12th move gave me a chance to come back.

[Event "19th NA FIDE Invitational"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2009.03.23"]
[Round "5"]
[White "Boor, Carl"]
[Black "Hortillosa, Andres"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "D45"]
[WhiteElo "2318"]
[BlackElo "2141"]
[PlyCount "52"]
[EventDate "2009.03.15"]
[SourceDate "2009.03.22"]

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 d5 4. d4 c6 5. e3 Nbd7 6. Qc2 dxc4 7. Bxc4 b5 8. Bd3
Bb7 9. e4 a6 10. e5 Nd5 11. Nxd5 cxd5 12. Bxh7 Rc8 13. Qb1 Rxc1+ 14. Qxc1 Rxh7
15. Qc2 Bb4+ 16. Ke2 Rh6 17. a4 bxa4 18. Rhc1 a5 19. Qxa4 Ba6+ 20. Ke3 Rh4 21.
Nxh4 Qxh4 22. Qc2 Nxe5 23. g3 Qh6+ 24. f4 Nc4+ 25. Kf3 Qh5+ 26. Kf2 Qxh2+ 0-1

I had a flashy win on move 22 with ...Bd2 but against a strong FM and the pressure (4 minutes versus 35 minutes), I took the clearer path.

Andres D. Hortillosa
Improving Player

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 04/03/09 at 18:05:38
Post Tools
adh2050 wrote on 02/18/09 at 03:00:57:
I am not sure if you are aware but the majority of chess players have an average rating of less than 1400 USCF,

This may surprise you but I know fine coaches who are under 1700 that make better coaches than those over 2200. This is a known fallacy in most people's thinking and apparently including yours. You think that for someone to be qualified to write a book on chess improvement, he or she must first get to a certain rating preferably master level.

Point 1) The uscf average rated player is below 700 I believe its 642 to be exact from last publication of the statistics but it is indeed below 700. This is because of scholastics and how inaccurrate ratings are for kids and people below 1300.

On score 2, I agree with you that rating/title does not dictate skill as a teacher or writer. One of the best teachers I encountered over the years was a 1900. I also am particularly fond of a certain FM. Every IM/GM I have personally encountered  is disgusting as a teacher (they seem to make better writers probably cause the editors help to get the points across). Excellent player but they have no idea how to explain their massive amounts of knowledge. However, I don't think a single person has disparaged you on this basis leading to the next point.

On score 3, I agree with the dissidents. I am a player who has improved 900 rating points in a 12 month period. I do not feel my own gains even qualify me to write such a book. Certainly a person who hasn't even gained 70 points is not qualified. You have made 0 improvement. It is great you've improved your self confidence to feel you have. Or you have discovered a new system to play by. Or you notice your training paying off in your head... but in terms of measurable gains (ratings) it is not there. This is what brings skepticism to the table. There is no way to measure your success.

In any event, I will likely look at the book. If it has merit i'll buy it... if it doesn't then not for me but best of luck to you and its target audience anyways.

(PS I only used myself as a comparison point to show you the kind of rating gains that can't be denied improvement has occurred).

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #37 - 04/03/09 at 16:55:51
Post Tools
adh2050 wrote on 04/03/09 at 16:26:57:
Hi friends, etc.

Very nice results, contratulations.  Say, what was Boor's final score?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #36 - 04/03/09 at 16:26:57
Post Tools
Hi friends,

I am not sure if anyone is interested but for the sake of completeness here are my results. By the way, the tournament has not been submitted yet to USCF or FIDE. For sure, however, I gained some USCF and FIDE points.

IM Pasalic - Win
FM Boor - Win
IM Young - Draw
FM Shankar - Draw (completely winning, many wasted chances due to mistakes on both sides in time trouble)
NM Tennant - Draw (had a great tournament beating IM Young and GM Amanov in the process)
Muradian - Draw
FM Felecan - Loss
GM-Elect Amanov - Loss
FM Chow - Loss

I scored 4 but could have easily finished with 4.5 to reach an even score with a win against FM Shankar in round 9. If you see the game, you will agree.

My first ever win against an IM in a FIDE event came against IM Pasalic.

FM Felecan missed his IM norm by half a point. He could only draw against IM Pasalic in the last round as White.

Andres D. Hortillosa
Improving Player

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #35 - 03/26/09 at 16:15:24
Post Tools
Dear friends and well-wishers,

I am currently playing in the 19th North American FIDE Invitational in Chicago. It is an IM norm tournament. I am happy to announce that after six rounds only FM Felecan and myself retained the possibility of earning an IM norm. However, after last night's loss to IM Amanov (GM by 1 April), my opportunity vanished. FM Felecan drew with Tennant and kept his chances for a norm alive. It looks like he will get to do it in this edition.

Being this my first time, I consider this a personal success. My goal is to end the tournament at 50 percent.

Visit the website to see more news and updates.

http://www.nachess.org/naca/index.php?option=com_wordpress&p=72&Itemid=2

Tonight I am playing FM Chow, a strong Chicago player.

Andes D. Hortillosa
Improving Player

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo