Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C03,C10-C11: Rubinstein French (Read 1799 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Rubinstein French
Reply #3 - 05/13/09 at 18:54:32
Post Tools
Tzermiadianos' book has some pretty good recommendations for White, I thought when I looked at it.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #2 - 05/13/09 at 18:06:12
Post Tools
After losing some games with the "Storming the barricades approach" against the Rubinstein I changed the way to play it to "Don't push too hard". Especially in the "Fort Knox" where I just keep on playing with the bishop pair with the "Don't hurry approach". The Rubinstein is an invitation to kill yourself as White - if not completely prepared (you may look at some promising lines with the comp - but can you remember them?) don't fall into it and play a "normal" chess game with a very slight advantage. "Sit your opponents out"!

IP Logged

dom
YaBB Moderator

Reply #1 - 05/13/09 at 17:23:22
Post Tools
Ouch...short text for questions, and long text for answers... Shocked

But they are basic questions for beginners when they begin to play French as White (myself, I play the Advance 3.e5 and no problem  Cool just joking).
You must know the ideas and plans for White and Black in these lines.
With 6.Nxf6 or 6.Bd3 (without Bg5) it's the Rubinstein variation and with 6.Bg5 it's the Burn variation.

Top level players prefer the Rubinstein, because too much piece exchanges after Bg5 and they help Black (one idea)...but sometimes they cannot avoid it, when Black play Classical line with Nf6 and White chooses Bg5 (as in Alekhine/Chatard line ): 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 dxe4 (instead of Be7).

One main dangerous plan for White is long castle when Black plays short castle...Psakhis explains it well in books...and many Bareev games as Black are very interesting to collect/study/analyse...maybe because Bareev, suffered terrible losses in the past.

Sometimes,White plays quiet positional plan, just avoiding the exchanges, when Black keeps positional disadvantage of bad bishop (light squares). Jussupov explained very well in one Europe Echecs, all detailed ideas in the line, mainly the c5 freeing move for Black.

If your want more information, choose precise line...as usual in chess...you will not find a killing line as White in first moves of opening.

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Ethernal
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

C03,C10-C11: Rubinstein French
05/13/09 at 14:48:49
Post Tools
     Hello guys, in this opening 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Nd7 5. Nf3 Ngf6 there are 3 lines for white 6.Nxf6+/Bg5/Bd3.  What do white players like to play or bl. players hate?
     What are the differences between these?
« Last Edit: 07/25/11 at 18:01:11 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo