Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Alekhine four pawns with 5.Bf5 (Read 4360 times)
lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Alekhine four pawns with 5.Bf5
Reply #10 - 06/02/09 at 17:26:31
Post Tools
Gilmour

Thank you!!

For anyone interested in this line, J Cox annotates the game
Movsessian Luther where White played 12 Nb5

In his notes, JCox mentions that Martin says that after 12 Be2, 12...g6
is oK for Black. JCox disagrees and states that 13 Bg5 is strong
for White.
As a better line, he suggests (after 12 Be2), 12....Nd7 targeting the
pawn on e5. This was played by A Yermilinky in this game.
I rember that at the time of conclusion, Black had about 10 minutes on the clock.

IP Logged

Gilmour
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 06/02/09 at 16:46:06
Post Tools
Hi lg, here´s the notation of

Esserman Marc 2391 - Yermolinsky Alex 2522

e4 Nf6
e5 Nd5
c4 Nb6
d4 d6
f4 de:
fe: c5
d5  e6
Nc3 ed:
cd: c4
d6 Be6
Nf3 Nc6
Be2 Nd7
Qa4 a6
Nf4 g6
Ng5 b5
Ne6: fe6:
Qc2 Bg7
00 00
Bg4 Kh8
Qd2 Nce5:

1/2

Greetings

Gilmour

IP Logged

Gilmour
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 06/02/09 at 16:37:16
Post Tools
Hi Marcovich; Ig

thanks a lot; every hint is useful -especially for an Alekhine beginner like me.
I will check the lines and be back soon.

Greetings

Gilmour

IP Logged

lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #7 - 06/02/09 at 08:21:55
Post Tools
Markovich and Gilmour

I think that 19. Bb5 is the recommended line.
By the way, in the recent rapid game Grischuk Svidler
Black responded 19....c6 (instead of the recommended 19....c5)
and won .

In many books, 19....c6 is noted as probably loosing. However,
Karolyi in CBM 123 is of the opinion that it is NOT loosing, although
it appears that 19....c5 equalizes more easily than 19....c6

By the way, I have seen an interesting this weekend in playchess.com.
It was a 4PA and Alex Yermolinsky played Black.
AY played a topical line of the Alekhine 4PA with 6...c5 and played an improvement suggested in J Cox's book.
Unfortunately, the game ended prematurely, perhaps the players felt that they have little time.
The game was played in the Copper state open.

Unfortunately, i could not copy it. If someone got it, would be kind
enough to post it here?

Thanks, lg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #6 - 06/02/09 at 00:54:59
Post Tools
@Gilmour:  According to my notes, 19...Qe5 20.Bh6 is pretty good for White.  Black should instead play 19...Bd5 when, if I trust my notes, he is very good whether White chooses 20.Bg5, 20.Rg1 or 20.Nxd5.

White's best chance was 19.Bg5, when 19...Qxf1 should equalize.

I'm afraid that I can't answer for general principles in this and related positions.  All is specificity.  If you want an insightful overview, perhaps Watson could supply it.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #5 - 06/01/09 at 19:47:20
Post Tools
Wow, there's a tremendous amount of interest in Alekhine's here lately.  I have a huge backlog of Alekhine ideas that I have to look at and comment on.  I'll try to get to your question, Gilmour, but if you're a subscriber you might also want to consider submitting it to John Watson, whose insight into any given position is likely to be much more penetrating than mine.

Why did I take up Alekhine's?  Mainly because I wanted to play some very different sorts of positions from the ones that I've been used to playing.  Also I think of Alekhine's as a tough, fighting defense.  It intrigues me that Black makes essentially no structural concessions (of course, this varies from line to line).  The only (ha ha!) thing that he concedes is space.  The foundation of a nice ending for Black is laid when White plays 2.e5.  The only (ha ha! once again) thing that Black has to do is weasel into it.   It's very Steinitzian in that regard.  I certainly don't think of Alehine's as "half correct."

Obviously, Black wants to be very active with his pieces and snip off a White pawn, or inflict further weaknesses upon White if possible.  In this defense I pay attention to White's interior weaknesses, especially d3.

You know, a game of chess is a fight, and so long as you're playing something that you yourself understand and isn't unsound, don't think it matters very much whether it's highly regarded by every last 2700 on this planet. 
« Last Edit: 06/02/09 at 01:10:20 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gilmour
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 06/01/09 at 18:40:54
Post Tools
Hi Markovic,

I heeded your advice and concentrate on the Nc6 variation in the four pawn.
Now a question: how would you evaluate the following position ? :

e4 Nf6
e5 Nd5
d4 d6
c4 Nb6
f4 de
fe Nc6
Be3 Bf5
Nc3 e6
Nf3 Be7
d5 ed
cd Nb4
Nd4 Bd7
e6 fe
de Bc6
Qg4 Bh4+
g3 Bf1:
000 00
gh: Qf6
Be2 Qe5
Bg5 c5
e7 cd:
ef8: (Q) Rf8:
Qd4: Qd4:
Rd4:

white bishop pair against better black pawn structure; as black I would therefore try to exchange one bishop by Bf3.
In my view rather equal; both sides with fair chances to play for the win.

You said somewhere that you don´t want to give any concrete analysis to avoid giving to much information for future opponents. That´s o.k. for sure.
As I´m an Alekhine beginner a short (verbal) evaluation would be nice; just to know I´m  going the right direction.

And something I would also like to know. Why did you choose the Alekhine. In one of your posts you said you came from 1...e5, which is now regarded as the main problem for 1.e4 players to fight for an advantage.
Why exchange something tested and reliable for something with a shaky reputation of only a half correct opening ??
Just out of interest.

Greetings

Gilmour

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/09 at 12:56:33
Post Tools
Gilmour wrote on 05/19/09 at 07:30:51:
Hi Marcovich,

I already checked most of your Alekhine posts as you´re are obviously one of the Alekhine guru´s in this forum.

May be you could post a few games of your "Best of" in the Nc6 Alekhine Four Pawns to give me a hint what positions rusult from this variation.

Ideas; dangers of this variation are also appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Gilmour  

Actually I very rarely encounter the Four Pawns in my correspondence play, even though I've been playing Alekhine's more or less exclusively for the past three years.  On the rare occasions when I have encountered it, usually White hasn't really known what he was doing -- fatal in this system.  But if there is one critical line, it's 9...Be7 10.Be2 0-0 11.0-0 f6 12.exf6 Bxf6.  Watson has treated this in various updates.  I have my own theory of it, which I may get around to sharing here sometime.  Also I have some analysis of what Black should do after 10.d5 exd5 11.cxd5 Nb4 12.Nd4 Bd7 13.Qf3!?, which is also critical, but for the time being I don't want to share it.

I have encountered the Four Pawns more in the casual OTB chess that I sometimes engage in.  There are a couple of 1950's around here who play it.  In four or five 30-minute games against the two of them. I haven't failed to win, but this hardly says much since I outrate them by 200 elo.  Also I wasn't recording.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gilmour
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/19/09 at 07:30:51
Post Tools
Hi Marcovich,

I already checked most of your Alekhine posts as you´re are obviously one of the Alekhine guru´s in this forum.

May be you could post a few games of your "Best of" in the Nc6 Alekhine Four Pawns to give me a hint what positions rusult from this variation.

Ideas; dangers of this variation are also appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Gilmour  

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #1 - 05/19/09 at 01:29:59
Post Tools
Gilmour wrote on 05/18/09 at 22:02:09:
Does anyone know the theoretical status of the following variation in the Alekhine four pawns attack:
e4 Nf6 e5 Nd5 d4 d6 c4 Nb6 f4 Bf5 - statistics of 6. Nf3/ 6. Be3 and 6. Nc3 are not so bad for black. On the other hand Nigel Davies indicated (I guess it was in his Alekhine book) that this variation is not completely trustworthy.

Where are the drawbacks of this line ??
Bagirov and Baburin played this variation and not without success.

Thanks

Gilmour

Personally I play 5...dxe5 6.fxe5 Nc6 with perfect happiness.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gilmour
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Alekhine four pawns with 5.Bf5
05/18/09 at 22:02:09
Post Tools
Does anyone know the theoretical status of the following variation in the Alekhine four pawns attack:
e4 Nf6 e5 Nd5 d4 d6 c4 Nb6 f4 Bf5 - statistics of 6. Nf3/ 6. Be3 and 6. Nc3 are not so bad for black. On the other hand Nigel Davies indicated (I guess it was in his Alekhine book) that this variation is not completely trustworthy.

Where are the drawbacks of this line ??
Bagirov and Baburin played this variation and not without success.

Thanks

Gilmour

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo