Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dismantling the Sicilian (Read 101064 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Dismantling the Sicilian
Reply #72 - 09/10/17 at 19:48:30
Post Tools
As a long time 5...a6 Taimanov player, I think that White's best (if he doesn't want to transpose into another main line) is to simply play 6.Nxc6 bc and now either of 7.e5 or 7.Bd3.  Hardly anyone ever plays that way against me, though.

IP Logged

phonological_loop
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #71 - 09/10/17 at 18:09:37
Post Tools
Thanks for that comment about 2...Nc6! It's very interesting. I will note that the statistics for the line he gives against the related Kalashnikov are not much better, though with proper play by white I think (referencing databases and Stockfish) the first player still retains some edge:

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 e5
5. Nb5 d6 6. N1c3 a6 7. Na3 b5 8. Nd5 Nge7
9. c4 Nd4 10. Be3 Nxd5 11. cxd5

I would be interested in any improvements here, also.

The problems with the Pelikan line spill over to his suggestion against the Four Knights variation, because it transposes:
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6
5. Nc3 Nc6 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Bf4 e5 8. Bg5

And here the Rossolimo is not an option.

Another potential issue is the Kupreichik variation, where the recommendation is:
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6
5. Nc3 Bd7 6. Bg5 e6 7. Qd2

After ...a6 black scores an amazing 60% in my database. The engines think white has an edge, so I wonder what's going on.

He does say 7. f3 followed by 8. Qd2 might be a better move order. But these both seem to score worse than 7. Nbd5 or 7. f4. I would humbly suggest instead of 10. h4 in his line, 10. g4:
7...a6 8. f3 Be7 9. 0-0-0 b5 10. g4.
« Last Edit: 09/10/17 at 21:06:43 by phonological_loop »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #70 - 09/10/17 at 17:38:39
Post Tools
phonological_loop wrote on 09/10/17 at 16:59:12:
I'm also not so hot on the line he gives against the Pelikan (Sveshnikov):
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6
5. Nc3 e5 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Bg5 a6 8. Na3 b5
9. Bxf6 gxf6 10. Nd5 f5 11. Bd3 Be6 12. O-O Bxd5
13. exd5 Ne7 14. c3 Bg7 15. Qh5.

Playing through my database, these are all the most popular moves for both sides. So I suppose it is the main line. However, white scores 49% in it, and wins only 17% of games.

What other lines deserve attention in the new edition?

I know very little concretely about the Sveshnikov, but it's arguably become a victim of its own success. A common view today is that the main line after 2...Nc6 is no longer 3.d4, but 3.Bb5. And no doubt the Sveshnikov is the main reason for that.

I wonder if even De la Villa will break with his principled Open Sicilian and recommend the Rossolimo? Probably not, but then he needs to find lines that he can claim give some chances against the Sveshnikov.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

phonological_loop
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #69 - 09/10/17 at 16:59:12
Post Tools
I'm a club player returning to chess after a long break, and I really like this book. I'm very much looking forward to the new edition and have already pre-ordered it.

I didn't see much discussion of the actual lines given by de la Villa in this thread, so I thought I would note some omissions and potentially problematic points. I do this in anticipation of the new edition, where they will hopefully be covered!

Checking the Najdorf and Scheveningen recommendations against my database (and sometimes Stockfish) convince me that some updates are needed here, which is entirely unsurprising given the age of the book.

A more subtle point comes up in the coverage of a Taimanov Sicilian sideline, which I looked up after having it in a game yesterday. The suggestion is:
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nc6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Be3 Nf6 7. f4,

and in the 77 games in my database white scores 65%. Play continues 7...Bb4 8. Bd3, and now de la Villa considers many moves, but not the most played move in my database, which is 8...e5. This is a curious omission. White still scores about 60%, though Stockfish thinks black has equalized.

(Out of curiosity, what is the best objective try for white in the 5...a6 Taimanov?)

I'm also not so hot on the line he gives against the Pelikan (Sveshnikov):
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6
5. Nc3 e5 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Bg5 a6 8. Na3 b5
9. Bxf6 gxf6 10. Nd5 f5 11. Bd3 Be6 12. O-O Bxd5
13. exd5 Ne7 14. c3 Bg7 15. Qh5.

Playing through my database, these are all the most popular moves for both sides. So I suppose it is the main line. However, white scores 49% in it, and wins only 17% of games.

What other lines deserve attention in the new edition?

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 08/13/17 at 13:34:02
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 08/12/17 at 17:15:43:
I can't find info about this book in the NIC site, although I found this on Amazon so I can now see it's being co-authored with Max Illingworth.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dismantling-Sicilian-Complete-Modern-Repertoire/dp/9056...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Z9c2FvifL._SX360_BO1,204,203,...

It will be an instabuy for me as I've been basing my Open Sicilian around this book, especially the English Attack which I've been having great fun with!

Smiley

My original copy is somewhat battle hardened, with notes penned into margins and additonal and upgraded lines stapled to some pages, so I could certainly do with a new edition  Cool

Given the positive comments you and many others made about the original version, I was close to buying it many times, but didnt pull the trigger....I might find myself giving in to temptation for Christmas.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #67 - 08/12/17 at 17:15:43
Post Tools
I can't find info about this book in the NIC site, although I found this on Amazon so I can now see it's being co-authored with Max Illingworth.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dismantling-Sicilian-Complete-Modern-Repertoire/dp/9056...

It will be an instabuy for me as I've been basing my Open Sicilian around this book, especially the English Attack which I've been having great fun with!

Smiley

My original copy is somewhat battle hardened, with notes penned into margins and additonal and upgraded lines stapled to some pages, so I could certainly do with a new edition  Cool

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #66 - 08/12/17 at 16:27:44
Post Tools
Looking forward to this new edition

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #65 - 08/12/17 at 03:59:57
Post Tools
Telpherzan wrote on 08/12/17 at 03:48:19:
Quality Chess' ABC tree format style is my favourite. Chess Stars splitting chapters into: quick theory, theory and model games is tolerable. Everyman Chess' games format I didn't use to like, but I can tolerate it now.

Chess book format could be a good topic for a new thread

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

Telpherzan
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #64 - 08/12/17 at 03:48:19
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 08/11/17 at 23:58:30:
Since we're on this subject, I found Bologan's Black Weapons to be completed unreadable and despite the favorable reviews, could not bring myself to buy a copy. I think that I know what RoleyPoley means, though it's hard to describe in words.

Fully agree regarding the Bologan book. It was the same terrible format with his Ruy Lopez one too. Having to keep jumping back and forth between pages, to find out who played the game, or to see side variations, became tiresome very quickly.

Quality Chess' ABC tree format style is my favourite. Chess Stars splitting chapters into: quick theory, theory and model games is tolerable. Everyman Chess' games format I didn't use to like, but I can tolerate it now.

Hopefully Bologan will ditch this format for future books. I'm hoping he does a Caro-Kann rep book next.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #63 - 08/11/17 at 23:58:30
Post Tools
Since we're on this subject, I found Bologan's Black Weapons to be completed unreadable and despite the favorable reviews, could not bring myself to buy a copy. I think that I know what RoleyPoley means, though it's hard to describe in words.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 08/11/17 at 20:43:45
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 08/11/17 at 18:27:57:
RoleyPoley wrote on 08/11/17 at 12:32:47:
New version of this book coming out in December. Given how popular first one Is, I'm keen to see it. Hope the layout is nicer though. Can't stand NIC or Gambits presentation....ruins perfectly good books.

What exactly do you dislike about NIC's and Gambit's layouts? I don't see any obvious problems with them.

I dont know how best to explain it. I'm not particularly keen the font/typeface used, also the content often looks too clustered or as if it has just been shoved together. I prefer more spacing (NIC's book on the Petroff by Cohen to my eyes looks atrocious for example).

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #61 - 08/11/17 at 18:27:57
Post Tools
New version of this book coming out in December. Given how popular first one Is, I'm keen to see it. Hope the layout is nicer though. Can't stand NIC or Gambits presentation....ruins perfectly good books.

What exactly do you dislike about NIC's and Gambit's layouts? I don't see any obvious problems with them.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #60 - 08/11/17 at 15:36:08
Post Tools
New version of this book coming out in December

Woot!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 08/11/17 at 12:32:47
Post Tools

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Knight
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #58 - 11/29/16 at 03:14:58
Post Tools
Sounds like this could be interesting for me. I like to get an overview then see if I can get deeper into things myself. It takes longer but sticks in my mind more that way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo