Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dismantling the Sicilian (Read 101217 times)
doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Dismantling the Sicilian
Reply #102 - 12/12/17 at 14:26:09
Post Tools
Ah okay thanks. I am a low level club player who wants to play the Open Sicilian to learn. Thought maybe the Be2 Najdorf is easier than the complex looking h3 system. I only use the book to at least have some guideline for a repertoire, but I don't focus too much on studying openings. I only read the book when analyzing a Sicilian I faced at the club or online.

I liked that the old book focused on the English Attack. That plan is pretty easy to understand for a low rated player like me. Now I'm thinking this book is maybe a little bit over my head. I just want a repertoire to stick with, but not some anti-sicilian. Maybe I should reconsider since there is so little explanation about plans in this book.

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #101 - 12/12/17 at 11:34:53
Post Tools
doefmat wrote on 12/12/17 at 10:46:24:
Anyone had succes with the Be2 Najdorf with 6...e5 and 7.Nf3? It is a variation I face often but the chapter about this line rather short and little explanation about white’s plans

I have not got the chanse to try it yet since I dont play online blitz anymore. I like to play Be2 vs Classical as well with a similar ideas but there are a few diffeerences. Whites idea is to contain black at queenside and try to fight for the d5 square. Bg5 ideas are common unless black prevents it and white often plays Nd2 Nc4 Ne3 or Nd2 Nf1 Ne3 to gain control of d5 square. There realy are not much theory on the position yet, but since Carlsen played it in a few games it will perhaps become more common, but 6 h3 system has emerged as the new ultimate Najdorf mainline. I do not belive that the Be2 line gives white any objetive advantage but maybee an other type of more positinal fight than black wants to play,

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #100 - 12/12/17 at 10:46:24
Post Tools
Anyone had succes with the Be2 Najdorf with 6...e5 and 7.Nf3? It is a variation I face often but the chapter about this line rather short and little explanation about white’s plans

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #99 - 11/15/17 at 10:58:28
Post Tools
Looking at some sample games from various chapters of the book there are a few correspondence games annotated. But I agree that it is sloppy to not look at it closer in Svechnikov section.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #98 - 11/15/17 at 08:24:55
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 11/15/17 at 08:01:09:
I have only played correspondence chess at ICCF for about two years and in my experience  this far are that generally speaking there are several lines that can be very good in over the board games and become harmless in correspondence chess. I guess that this line could be one such line.

Overall the book has  for example refrences to all Negis books, Modernized book, Attacking the flexible sicilian, Experts vs sicilian and references to games played in 2017 so its still fairtly up to date.

Blacks score in OTB is also very good in this system. Not only the few critical lines are easy to learn for black but he even has at several points the choice how to surprise white and still get a decent position against best play. I only gave the line(s) for black which I considered the most convincing way to end all whites ambitions.

Modern openinganalysis without considering the most recent correspondence games or even the most recent enginegames (e.g. TCEC, CCRL, SSDF) is in my opinion sloppy work. I refer to a statement on http://en.chessbase.com/post/a-treasure-trove-of-ideas-the-corr-database-2018 "today's correspondence games indicate how the opening theory of tomorrow will look like"

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #97 - 11/15/17 at 08:01:09
Post Tools
I have only played correspondence chess at ICCF for about two years and in my experience  this far are that generally speaking there are several lines that can be very good in over the board games and become harmless in correspondence chess. I guess that this line could be one such line.

Overall the book has  for example refrences to all Negis books, Modernized book, Attacking the flexible sicilian, Experts vs sicilian and references to games played in 2017 so its still fairtly up to date.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #96 - 11/14/17 at 20:06:25
Post Tools
Maybe the line is rare for the author but in my 2 most recent games it was played and I fear others will follow.

Anyway I have the feeling that the book is written for the casual tournament player and doesn't give a complete status of the latest theory.

So it is nonsense to claim a TN for 21.Nc4.

Also 14.g3 Be6 15.a3 is by now already pretty much a dead end see e.g.

The book can still be very interesting but it seems that chapter won't teach me anything new.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #95 - 11/14/17 at 19:16:12
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 11/14/17 at 18:50:22:
bragesjo wrote on 11/14/17 at 14:51:39:
Vs Svechnkov 7 Bg5 a6 8 Na3 b5 9 Nd5! Be7 10 Bxf6 Bxf6 11 c3.

I really wonder what they recommend against the line below. I had a second look at it a month ago without finding anything interesting for white to try.

By transposning the position is reached.The book writes that the lines is rare since is difficult for black to activate the darksquared Bishop. The mainline follows your line to move 18 where they write "This position has been tested extensively in correspondence chess, where Black mostly hold the draw, but the d6-weakness condems him to a long defence, which is hardly pleasesnt in an over the board game.
However the book also mentiones 14 g3  Be6 15 a3 as an option and shows the game Karjakin-Shirov 2007. However in the annotatioins they show that it leads to an equal position in after black imporvments.

EDIT
After 18 .. b4 they go 19 Ra6 bxc3 20 bc3  Kh8 and proposes 21 Nc4 as a TN.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #94 - 11/14/17 at 18:50:22
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 11/14/17 at 14:51:39:

I really wonder what they recommend against the line below. I had a second look at it a month ago without finding anything interesting for white to try.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #93 - 11/14/17 at 14:51:39
Post Tools
Book arrived today.

Vs the Dragon the book recommends 9 0-0-0 Yugoslav meeting d5 with Qe1.

Vs Accelerated Dragon Marocy Bind.

Vs Najdrorf both h3 and Be2 are covered. Quick look indicates several new ideas even in Be2 variation that I was not aware of.
By the way the book follows my Be3 Be2 Qd2 0-0-0 plan vs Dragadorf, it is covered in Be2 Najdorf chapter.

Vs Schveningen the book recomends the  Keres attack meeting h6 with Rg1 like Attacking Flexible sicilian.

Vs Taimanov the book went for 6 Be3 a6 7 Qf3.

Vs Paulsen 5 Nc3 and after depends of blacks follow up.

Vs Kalchnikov 6 N1c3 meeting the modern a6 7 Na3 Be7 with 8 Nc4 b5 9 Ne3 Nf6 10 g3!

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #92 - 11/03/17 at 09:20:06
Post Tools
phonological_loop wrote on 11/02/17 at 19:20:14:
I wonder how this differs from Modernized: The Open Sicilian, which is a similar attempt to offer a repertoire of critical lines. If I have that, is this really worth getting? I would guess not.

I will buy the book for the Najdorf Be2 chapter alone.

At any rate one can always compare the lines to see if anything has changed where the books met. Dismantling the Sicilian has also an extra none repetouar chapter to says what other books recommened and why the authors does not recommend it.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #91 - 11/02/17 at 19:23:47
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 11/02/17 at 14:23:38:
I'll go the other way and say that I'm very happy with the changes to this edition.

Sure, and I can see that using the same name might help for marketing reasons

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

phonological_loop
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #90 - 11/02/17 at 19:20:14
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 11/02/17 at 14:14:39:
JEH wrote on 11/02/17 at 06:27:58:
Looks like it's an almost completely different repertoire  Huh

Not a bad thing, but not the update I was hoping for.

Indeed. I spent a lot of effort on learning the 1st edition repertoire, and was hoping to just update a few critical lines (especially since I am just at the 2000 level). Now I have to decide how much to swap in wholesale. I guess I can always pick and choose which systems to update, unless there are a lot of transpositional dependencies.

Indeed, it's an entirely different project. I liked the thematic unity in the first edition.

I wonder how this differs from Modernized: The Open Sicilian, which is a similar attempt to offer a repertoire of critical lines. If I have that, is this really worth getting? I would guess not.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #89 - 11/02/17 at 14:23:38
Post Tools
I'll go the other way and say that I'm very happy with the changes to this edition.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #88 - 11/02/17 at 14:14:39
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 11/02/17 at 06:27:58:
Looks like it's an almost completely different repertoire  Huh

Not a bad thing, but not the update I was hoping for.

Indeed. I spent a lot of effort on learning the 1st edition repertoire, and was hoping to just update a few critical lines (especially since I am just at the 2000 level). Now I have to decide how much to swap in wholesale. I guess I can always pick and choose which systems to update, unless there are a lot of transpositional dependencies.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo