Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Larsen (Read 5278 times)
Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Re: Larsen
Reply #12 - 03/01/14 at 20:14:36
Post Tools
Kasparov has a nice chapter on Larsen as well. (MGP 4)

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #11 - 03/01/14 at 18:30:56
Post Tools
Larsen had a couple if years where he dominated world tournament chess. And Fisher was around at the time.
A true great.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #10 - 02/28/14 at 23:01:22
Post Tools
FYI - excellent videos by Danish club player Claus Jensen (2200-ish if i recall correctly), so you get the authentic accent and Danish enthusiasm along with concise analytical comments
http://www.youtube.com/user/clausjensencom/search?query=larsen
PS, This is one of my fav video series ever

2078 uscf
IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #9 - 02/28/14 at 22:53:49
Post Tools
Amazon is now listing Bent Larsen's Best Games: Fighting Chess with the Great Dane, due in July from New in Chess.

Quote:
Bent Larsen (1935-2010) was one of the greatest fighters chess has ever seen. In his rich career the great Dane defeated all World Champions from Botvinnik to Karpov. He was a Candidate for the World Championship four times and became one of the most successful tournament players of his time. His uncompromising style and his unorthodox thinking made him popular with chess players all around the globe.

In 1967/1968 Larsen won five international elite events in a row, a truly spectacular achievement. His successes were such that Bobby Fischer let him play first board in the legendary match Soviet Union vs. the World in 1970 in Belgrade.

Bent Larsen also was a highly original chess writer and an extremely productive chess journalist. Not surprisingly the first chess book that Magnus Carlsen ever studied was written by the strongest Scandinavian player before him.

This collection brings together more than 120 of Bent Larsen’s best games, annotated by himself. His comments are lucid, to the point, instructive and humorous. Together, these games are a tribute to his genius and a continuous joy to read and play through.

I assume the old 50-game book will be a subset of this, but that's fine by me.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 09/26/13 at 19:13:11
Post Tools
There's also a book coming (in Swedish, I believe) on the 1968 Larsen-Spassky match.  It's by long-time chess journalist Lars Grahn, with annotations by Peter Heine Nielsen.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #7 - 09/26/13 at 18:51:47
Post Tools
Larsen seems extra popular this year, I first thought this thread was about the coming new book in Danish "LARSEN, Bind I 1935-1965" from Løfbergs Forlag.

Apparently the author has been working on it / collecting games for 30 years. It's expected to be published by December 15th this year.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #6 - 09/25/13 at 14:40:01
Post Tools
Good news! I am happy to have more people exposed to this great book.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #5 - 09/25/13 at 14:17:57
Post Tools
New in Chess will publish "Bent Larsen's Best Games: Fighting Chess With the Great Dane" March 30, 2014. I guess it is the same book.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #4 - 09/11/09 at 20:23:10
Post Tools
Visiting a chessfriend I´ve looked only superfically at the new german edition "Alle Figuren greifen an Vol.1". It´s basically the same as the old  "Ich spiele auf Sieg" from 1971, the "german" (swiss!) edition of Larsen´s Best Games 1948-1969.
Except from typos and obvious mistakes the commentary to the old games have not been revised much?! Some few games have been added, but most are only very slightly annotated and this probably not from Larsen himself?! I´ve read somewhere (sorry, can´t find my source anymore) that the additions stem from a serie of spanish newspaper articles from the 1980ies. Now these were translated into German without much (or any) input from Larsen himself. Much more interesting than these new games are many articles from Larsen about different topics: for example about his encounters and teamwork with Fischer. Very interesting for fans of Larsen/Fischer and for historicans.
Don´t like sophisticated layout. I´m a Larsen fan (1.b3!) but for the time being I´ve decided not to buy this Vol.1 but to keep my old (autographed!) copy. I´ll wait for Vol.2, then I´ll buy both or none (and new Vol.1 only for reasons of completeness).

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #3 - 09/11/09 at 19:41:22
Post Tools
Larsen's good move guide is agreat puzzle book , a translation of 4 Danish pamphlets with 4 types of exercise tactics, planning, endings, how good is your ches.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #2 - 09/10/09 at 15:32:37
Post Tools
I take it back, this new book only appears to go up to 1973 or so, so there would be plenty of room for a volume 2.  I hope it happens!

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

look for a better one"

Reply #1 - 09/10/09 at 15:30:48
Post Tools
Larsen's self-authored book of best games is outstanding, one of the best game collections I own.  The games are really interesting and he's a great annotator.

Mine is called "Master of Counter-Attack : Larsen's Selected Games of Chess 1948-69", which is likely the same as the "Bent Larsen's Best Games of Chess" you link to since that has the subtitle "Master of Counter-Attack".

Looking at the table of contents of the newer book, it does appear to be an expansion of that book.  It also appears to be pretty complete - I'm not sure what would go into a volume 2.

Here's hoping it gets translated!

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Larsen
09/10/09 at 12:23:04
Post Tools
I've noticed a new book by Larsen: "Alle Figuren greifen an". http://www.newinchess.com/Bent_Larsen__Alle_Figuren_greifen_an-p-1805.html (which apparently is a new expanded edition of an older book) Notice on the cover that it's the first part (band 1).

When I started playing chess in the early 80's, many experienced swedish players raved about the writings of Larsen. Unfortunately, I read only a few articles in Schacknytt and none of his books. I thought I might look up a good book or two on him now instead. Which books do you recommend?

I've also seen "Bent Larsen's Best Games Of Chess" http://www.hardingesimpole.co.uk/biblio/184382082x.htm Any good?

In the 80's there was a series in sweden called Prismas schackskola. I only got the Averbakh endgame book from that but recall two Larsen titles "Du måste ha en plan" and "Du kan kombinera". Any swedes here who knows all the titles in the series and perhaps the english (or german) titles of the Larsen books? I assume that there were danish editions also, but don't think I would be able to read them.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo