Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Recent game in the KID fianchetto variation (Read 10350 times)
moahunter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Recent game in the KID fianchetto variation
Reply #13 - 09/28/09 at 01:56:43
Post Tools
jitb wrote on 09/27/09 at 11:57:12:
I would like to have a save and a attacking option in my repertoire. For the KID I was thinking about the fianchetto as save and the four pawns variation as attacking option. Right now I absolutely dont know anything about the 4 pawns, but am I right that it is sharp?

I would recommend the new book Kill the Kid. I like the 4 pawns a lot now - I think it gives you a great attack in most lines. It has a reputation for being theoretical, but I don't think that is fair - perhaps more from black's side than white, as black has to play accurate to "hang on". Many lines are reasonably forcing, and I find I typically end up with an open position with lots of chance to attack blacks king.

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 09/27/09 at 11:57:12
Post Tools
Thnx  Smiley

For becoming better in tactics the majority will say that I should play e4. I feel that e4 is primarily piece play tactics and with d4 more pawn push tactics, if you know what i mean.

I would like to have a save and a attacking option in my repertoire. For the KID I was thinking about the fianchetto as save and the four pawns variation as attacking option. Right now I absolutely dont know anything about the 4 pawns, but am I right that it is sharp?

I realise that you will have to choose early on in the game which option I use, if I have those two in my repertoire. Are there any other options with save and attacking play in the KID that do combine better?

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #11 - 09/26/09 at 22:12:19
Post Tools
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.cxd5 d6 6.e4 g6 7.f4 Bg7 8.Bb5+. According to theory of today good for White.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 09/26/09 at 11:40:40
Post Tools
That's a really good advise of which I did not thought about yet. Thanks for that Grin. Could you tell what the flick knife is?

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 09/25/09 at 21:47:28
Post Tools
jitb wrote on 09/25/09 at 07:49:47:
Probably I should improve my tactical vision and calculating skill first, then move to endgames, then positional play and then openings  Smiley.

It is always a good idea to do tactical exercises. If you chose to do so you should at the same time insert some sharper openings in your repertoire and at least one gambit. Not that you should abandon the fianchetto against the KID. But this looks a good opportunity to remind of the advise both Spassky and Jussupow got when they were stuck in their development. Spassky was told to take up the KG and play it regularly. Jussupow's coach told him to play a sacrificial game at least once per tournament.
It is possible to play some ultra-sharp stuff after 1.d4. One example is 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3. Another is the Flick-Knife against the Modern Benoni.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 09/25/09 at 07:49:47
Post Tools
Yes, I do  that  Grin I guess around 40 long games per year and I'm planning to play in more tournaments. I feel that I can cope better with strong opposition than 2 years ago and when I look at my old games I am astonished by the bad moves I make. I feel I play a lot better now, but it doesn't show in my rating.
Probably I should improve my tactical vision and calculating skill first, then move to endgames, then positional play and then openings  Smiley.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #7 - 09/24/09 at 21:16:28
Post Tools
jitb wrote on 09/23/09 at 19:30:08:
Quote:
You seem to me to exemplify some current tendencies in how people try to learn about chess, what with sticking things into Fritz, waiting for the next highbrow repertoire book, and looking up unannotated games on websites.  I would wonder if you spend much time looking at things on the order of Geller's "The Application of Chess Theory" or Marovic's "Dynamic Pawn Play in Chess" (to name a couple that I know have some material pertaining to the Fianchetto KID/the types of position reached therein).

You are quite right that I try to learn chess the wrong way. I'm only 18 years old and my rating has not improved since I was 15 or something. So I have quite a big problem in the improving area of chess  Embarrassed I am trying to improve and I feel that I know a lot more about chess than my rating implies. But this may be a little bit of topic...

The very first thing is to play.  You must play, and you must play face-to-face.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/23/09 at 23:55:27
Post Tools
> I feel that I know a lot more about chess than my rating implies

Hah! Don't we all, mate.

b3 doesn't look like the right move. White wants to play on the queenside and break with c5, no? b3 doesn't help with that. Crude and based on ten seconds blindfold reflection if that, but I suspect it's a start.

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 09/23/09 at 19:30:08
Post Tools
Quote:
You seem to me to exemplify some current tendencies in how people try to learn about chess, what with sticking things into Fritz, waiting for the next highbrow repertoire book, and looking up unannotated games on websites.  I would wonder if you spend much time looking at things on the order of Geller's "The Application of Chess Theory" or Marovic's "Dynamic Pawn Play in Chess" (to name a couple that I know have some material pertaining to the Fianchetto KID/the types of position reached therein).

You are quite right that I try to learn chess the wrong way. I'm only 18 years old and my rating has not improved since I was 15 or something. So I have quite a big problem in the improving area of chess  Embarrassed I am trying to improve and I feel that I know a lot more about chess than my rating implies. But this may be a little bit of topic...

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 09/23/09 at 19:09:40
Post Tools
You seem to me to exemplify some current tendencies in how people try to learn about chess, what with sticking things into Fritz, waiting for the next highbrow repertoire book, and looking up unannotated games on websites.  I would wonder if you spend much time looking at things on the order of Geller's "The Application of Chess Theory" or Marovic's "Dynamic Pawn Play in Chess" (to name a couple that I know have some material pertaining to the Fianchetto KID/the types of position reached therein).

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/23/09 at 18:19:41
Post Tools
Well I found some games  Smiley . I must mention that I do not have a database or something like that so I am bound to the internet.  Embarrassed This is what ive found:
http://www.365chess.com/game.php?gid=1029623
http://www.365chess.com/game.php?gid=369051

Both games have interesting ideas at least more interesting then in my game. But there were no games with 10. b3. Recommended is b4 but mostly Ne1 is played.

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/23/09 at 17:57:50
Post Tools
Well, I inserted it in fritz. I believe I went out of theory with 10. b3 . b4 was given. I actually do not have any books on this line  Undecided I;m waiting for Avrukh's second volume to be published...

I never used other games to compare with mine, but I think that would be a great thing to do, so i will start looking and hope to post some games soon  Grin .

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/23/09 at 17:44:32
Post Tools
Well, that line (6...Nc6 and 7...e5) has often been reckoned to give White good chances of getting an edge.
So, have you looked it up in an opening book and studied the lines given, found relevant games in game collections or middlegame-oriented books to look at, or something?

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Recent game in the KID fianchetto variation
09/23/09 at 17:13:49
Post Tools
Hi, about a week ago I played a game in the fianchetto variation. I played the white side and it went like this:

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. g3 Bg7 4. Bg2 0-0 5. Nf3 d6 6. Nc3 Nc6 7. 0-0 e5 8. d5 Ne7 9. e4 Nd7 10. b3? f5 11. Nd2 xe4 12. Ndxe4 Nf5 13. f3 h6 14. Qd3 g5 15. Bb2 Rf7 16. b4 h5 17. c5 g4 18. xg4 xg4 19. Rad1 Nf8 20. Bc1 Nh7 21. a3 Bf8 22. Rde1 Rg7 23. Nd1 Qe8 24. Ne3 Qh5
25. xd6 xd6 26. Nc3 Nd4 27. Nc2 Bf5 28. Ne4 Bxe4 29. Bxe4 Nxc2
30. Qxc2 Ng5 31. Bxg5 Qxg5 32. Rf5 Qe7

And I went on to win. Grin I realise that my level of play and that of my oponent is not very high. I found I was playing a little flat if you know what I mean and I would like to add a little bite to my opening and middlegame play. (I realise that this variation is not critical, but I will keep on playing it. Tongue) My question is: Where can I improve my game in this example?

Thanks

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo