Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Catalan, tactical? And a way to learn its theory (Read 3459 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Catalan, tactical? And a way to learn its theory
Reply #5 - 09/27/09 at 22:03:28
Post Tools
I already can imagine how Markovich will react .... But let's assume for a while you will stick to the Catalan, as it is a nice shortcut indeed. You can play it as both an anti-QGD and an anti-NID. Perhaps you should forget about the Avrukh book and play it in a simple fashion.
There are two main lines:
1) The Closed (Black does not play ...dxc4). White can play 7.Qc2, 8.Nbd2, 9.e4 or slightly more sophisticated 9.b3, 10.Bb2 and 11.e4.
2) The Open (With ...dxc4). A not so popular sideline, still giving White decent results is 7.Nc3 c5 8.dxc5.

In both cases Markovich might be (at least) slightly happy as the resulting positions are fairly open. Play through a lot of games, preferably high-level ones, to get a feel. Also try out ideas of your own. Two other points:

3) When Black plays ...Bb4+ answer Nbd2.
4) Don't forget the transpositions to the Tarrasch and Semi-Tarrasch.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 09/27/09 at 18:18:24
Post Tools
See, I am so old-fashioned (or something) that I think there is something odd about a player in the 1600s playing the Slow Slav (as opposed to e.g. 4. Nc3 dc 5. a4 Bf5 6. e3, if he's going to play 1.d4).

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/27/09 at 18:04:16
Post Tools
Thanks for the replies. I think that you are both right. I just don't really understand the ideas behind a lot of the 'natural' moves in the catalan. I bought the 1. d4 book by Avrukh so I wanted to give the catalan a try. In just one game I could play it, but it was against oposition who did not have a clue about openings (first played d6, then d5, transposing to a ctalan with one tempo less).
In the slav variation, that Avrukh gave, I do have a lot of succes.  Grin So that is more of my level of understanding.

Does anyone have any advise on how to play the QGD within the Avrukh repertoire? I realise that I then also have to figure out something else after 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6, where Avrukh will play 3.g3 and thus avoiding the Nimzo and QID.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/27/09 at 17:46:28
Post Tools
Maybe you should study a dense, high-level repertoire book on it by means of feeding the lines through an engine.  Okay, I'm just kidding.  But that's what an 1800-player here seemed to be doing a while back.

I would think that a 1600-1700 player should prefer some nice classical QG stuff (if he's going to play 1. d4, that is).   

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #1 - 09/27/09 at 17:06:06
Post Tools
The Catalan is fundamentally a positional opening. However, it certainly has its fair share of sharp tactical battles. Plans in the Catalan often require really strong positional skills to understand and execute well. I personally think it is very tough for a 1700 player to handle. Hey, I am over 2000 and I find it difficult to understand myself.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Catalan, tactical? And a way to learn its theory
09/27/09 at 12:07:55
Post Tools
Hi

I have some questions about the catalan. Would you consider it to be a tactical opening?
The catalan has a dense theory. How would you recommend to get the grasp of it?
I'm only 1600-1700 and I often hear that the catalan is an opening for very strong players. Why is that and should I therefore not play it?

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo