Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I still remember a defence called Tartakower! (Read 76370 times)
slates
God Member

Re: I still remember a defence called Tartakower!
Reply #7 - 12/24/09 at 09:40:03
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 12/23/09 at 09:16:31:
There might be a new book out soon about it, though, unless it's been cancelled...

Well, I wonder what's happened to that? John Cox hinted that he might be writing just such a book but that was quite a long time ago now and there's been no word since to substantiate it, so perhaps the project was indeed cancelled. Shame.

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/24/09 at 08:31:15
Post Tools
Nigel Short has used it as his main defence , but you might recall Kramnik also playing it successfully too. Interestingly some weak GM (Mickey Adams) has given up his QID for this and won 3/3 . Good move !!
Definitely very sound- not much literature on it but plenty of high class games.
Side note: Lasker's defence is very sound too.

However, the exchange variation should be avoided unless you know what your doing- nimzo move order but you will need an anti-Catalan system.

I would love an update on this line in Ruslan's opening reviews (his other QG updates were excellent)

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #5 - 12/23/09 at 12:02:40
Post Tools
To avoid the nasty QGD exchange line with Ne2 (instead of Nf3) I think the correct move order for Black is:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6:

a) 3.Nc3 Bb4 - playing the sound Nimzo

b) 3. Nf3 d5 and transposing to the TMB-line (if 4.ed5 White has restricted his possibilities with 3.Nf3)

The man to follow today is certainly Nigel Short - I remember he does not like Bf6 played by White because Black nets the bishop pair. Even if the position is somewhat blocked in the long run Black may get dynamic counterplay.

IP Logged

F22

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 12/23/09 at 11:13:45
Post Tools
Pingudon wrote on 12/22/09 at 21:55:28:
Long, long ago I bought a book about the slav. I tried it because I wanted to surprise my friends... everyone played the Tartakower. Fischer, Spassky, Kortchnoi, Petrosian played it a lot. Sometimes we wanted to play a different line to avoid the Tartakower at all cost! That defence was just TOO good. But now it is played very seldom. What has happened? Is it too passive? Is it weak? Is it just fashion? Is it because of the Catalan? Has it been refuted? I would love to hear your comments. Thanks a lot!

By Tartakower I think you mean the Tartakower-Makaganov-Bondarevsky system (TMB): 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. Nf3 O-O 6. e3 h6 7. Bh4 b6

Now first you forgot Kasparov. He contributed a great deal to this opening and he played it with both colors (this became his main defense in his first two matches with Karpov). Kasparov was also very fond of the capture 7. Bxf6 in the above line.

The second point is that if you want to play QGD (any line not just TMB) you have to accept the fact that White might play the exchange variation. Even with Petrosian's 3. ... Be7 these lines are not easy for Black (that is why so many people wait until White plays Nf3 and only then transpose to QGD lines).

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #3 - 12/23/09 at 09:16:31
Post Tools
I thought it was the Exchange variation that's taken over the mainline status and of course the Semi-Slav's popularity has also reduced the chance of it appearing on the board.

There might be a new book out soon about it, though, unless it's been cancelled...

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #2 - 12/22/09 at 22:33:12
Post Tools
The reason people seem to think it's seldom played nowadays is frankly because 5. Bg5 in the QGD has been sliding in popularity in comparison to 5. Bf4 and the Catalan amongst the elite. Does either one objectively offer white something more? No. Do they both prevent drawish simplifications? Yes. Are they less worked out? Yes.

5. Bf4 isn't even close to as drawish as the Lasker/Tartakower, even in black's best defense to 5. Bf4 (5...0-0 6. e3 Nbd7).

The Catalan, of course, has a number of very complex lines, and black doesn't have a clear road to drawish equality there as of right now.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 12/22/09 at 21:57:09
Post Tools
These days the Tartakower is an excellent surprise weapon imo.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

I still remember a defence called Tartakower!
12/22/09 at 21:55:28
Post Tools
Long, long ago I bought a book about the slav. I tried it because I wanted to surprise my friends... everyone played the Tartakower. Fischer, Spassky, Kortchnoi, Petrosian played it a lot. Sometimes we wanted to play a different line to avoid the Tartakower at all cost! That defence was just TOO good. But now it is played very seldom. What has happened? Is it too passive? Is it weak? Is it just fashion? Is it because of the Catalan? Has it been refuted? I would love to hear your comments. Thanks a lot!

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo