Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I still remember a defence called Tartakower! (Read 76582 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: I still remember a defence called Tartakower!
Reply #52 - 01/24/10 at 20:46:03
Post Tools
11...c5 is well-regarded by Sokolov.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #51 - 01/24/10 at 20:18:47
Post Tools
OK my apologies then, you are very meticulous in entering this stuff from the books to your database! I have to admit this "simple easy equalizer" has escaped my attention, and apparently also the two 2600+ Gms who played a game in 2009 - Tegubov-Meier continued 11.0-0 Qe7!? (another interesting continuation which is covered in my old Jangava book). Tregubov won a game playing against the hanging pawns. And no my engine doesnt give the simple ...a5 move I mentioned as the 2nd suggestion, more like number 5 or 6! Its not a position engines are much use for anyway but useful to check your not dropping a piece. Anyway I will give the early 11...c5 some serious attention, and if it does indeed work out I am in your debt as up to now I´ve never played that way. Is 11...c5 recommended somewhere else? I think the only QGD book I dont have is the Rittizano one.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #50 - 01/24/10 at 18:02:54
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 01/24/10 at 14:33:05:
I see whats happening now. For "theoretical standing" substitute "what it says in my Khalifman book" because you've just literally copy and pasted the Khalifman suggestion against 16...c5 (I just went to the trouble of getting the book from my top shelf). Going back over your other posts they also bear a remarked similarity - you wouldnt ever think of giving a bit of credit to the authors?

It's in my database on the QGD, and I don't keep bibliographies of my personal files on openings. You see, there's an invention called Chessbase, you should try it some time.

If that's who it originated with, so be it.

Quote:
Khalifman is just one source of "theory", now a bit dated, and the line he recommended then has never caught on amongst GMs so that must tell you something. The phrase "do as I play not as I say" springs to mind.

Apparently you haven't caught on to the fact that the Tartakower hasn't been appearing at GM level as much due to the Catalan, and prevalence of 5. Bf4 QGDs in GM play of late. The drawishness of Lasker's Defense is another reason for 5. Bg5's dip in popularity.

And aside from that, 11. 0-0's popularity is further hurt by the fact ...c5 is equal. Wow, what a concept! White's not playing into a line where black has a known equalizer, amazing!

If I were simply taking from Khalifman I wouldn't have posted corrected evaluations in the 11. 0-0 c5 line. Maybe you should try finding something else to scapegoat.

Quote:
Incidentally the Khalifman line with Bh3!? I dont think Black has any problems: 16...c5 17.dxc5 Nxc5 18.Qa3 Rc8!? (simple move like 18...a5 is also not bad) 19.Bh3 Bxc3!? is possible intending 20.bxc3 Rc7 and counterplay against c3. Anyway my own preference is not for 16...c5, I prefer to wait, but its possible.

Don't attach a "!?" to the first recommendation a computer spits out. It's also obvious you're basing your moves and evaluation on what the computer is giving, too. Seriously, mentioning something "simple" like 18...a5, when it's just the second choice listed.

Quote:
regarding 11...c5 as a simple and easy equalizer, I agree that is playable although if it is simple or easy (for both sides) I'm not sure, but its another argument against the 11.0-0 move-order. The "main-line" Tartakower is still 11.b4

The original post you responded to was about 11. 0-0. 11. b4 is irrelevant to anything I have posted.

And 11. 0-0 c5 is a completely easy equalizer for black, and is the argument against 11. 0-0. Unless you care to demonstrate how white can improve. And please don't give me a Rybka suggestion attached to a "!?", I can do that myself, thanks. I can also list the second move it gives as interesting to go along with it.

Quote:
Update: For some reason you have modified your post now to remove the Khalifman suggestions after 18.Qa3

Because it was irrelevant, and Bh3 isn't necessarily the best move on the following turn, whereas Qa3 is actually a critical idea (instead of Qc2). My QGD database has taken from Khalifman, Rizzutano, and others (various annotated games, even Sadler's old book, etc.). No big surprise in this particular variation Khalifman's analysis pops up here since few theoretical works place any emphasis on 11. 0-0 these days, and due to good reason - 11...c5 kills its theoretical importance.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #49 - 01/24/10 at 14:33:05
Post Tools
I see whats happening now. For "theoretical standing" substitute "what it says in my Khalifman book" because you've just literally copy and pasted the Khalifman suggestion against 16...c5 (I just went to the trouble of getting the book from my top shelf). Going back over your other posts they also bear a remarked similarity - you wouldnt ever think of giving a bit of credit to the authors?

Khalifman is just one source of "theory", now a bit dated, and the line he recommended then has never caught on amongst GMs so that must tell you something. The phrase "do as I play not as I say" springs to mind.

Incidentally the Khalifman line with Bh3!? I dont think Black has any problems: 16...c5 17.dxc5 Nxc5 18.Qa3 Rc8!? (simple move like 18...a5 is also not bad) 19.Bh3 Bxc3!? is possible intending 20.bxc3 Rc7 and counterplay against c3. Anyway my own preference is not for 16...c5, I prefer to wait, but its possible.

regarding 11...c5 as a simple and easy equalizer, I agree that is playable although if it is simple or easy (for both sides) I'm not sure, but its another argument against the 11.0-0 move-order. The "main-line" Tartakower is still 11.b4

Update: For some reason you have modified your post now to remove the Khalifman suggestions after 18.Qa3
« Last Edit: 01/24/10 at 17:38:26 by Keano »  

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #48 - 01/24/10 at 14:17:08
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 01/24/10 at 12:52:40:
Sorry Keano, I am not interested in your explanation either. What I want to know more about is this.
You claim that Black can maintain winning chances.
BP claims that White can force Black to accept a highly drawish position.

Now how much has Black to compromise to play for a win? More than in the Slav Meran or the KID for instance? You both already have provided some sample lines, but I would not mind seeing more.

My claim is that black either has to accept drawish equality, or a slightly worse position in order to preserve winning chances in the line with 11. 0-0. That's markedly different from "forcing" black to accept it.

Black's winning chances in the Tartakower are markedly less than sharper openings, because he takes considerably fewer risks. I'd put the winning chances of the Tartakower on par with the Queen's Indian Defense. A lot of dull equality in the most critical lines, and black suffering with a slightly worse position when he tries to play it for a win.

Quote:
After 11...Re8 12. Qb3 c6 13. Re1 Nd7 14. Rad1 Nf8 15. Bf1 Ne6 16. g3 Black can also play the immediate break 16...c5!? which may be good enough for equality, but I prefer delaying this break for a while with 16...g6 and ...Bg7 or Kramniks 16...Qc7. Its more provocative this way, for example after an e4 break by White sometimes its possible to allow the advance e4-e5 instead of the simple recapture, but the idea is that when the ...c5 break comes Black will have everything in order. Its no Lasker defence this stuff!

16...c5 is not good enough for equality, sorry. 17. dxc5 Nxc5 18. Qa3 is enough for an edge. It's a textbook example of a premature ...c5 break.

16...Qc7 17. Bg2 Rad8 18. Rd2, and black has no active play. He sits, he waits for white's e4, because his own ...c5 is restrained. Black is solid, and passive - that means he requires a white mistake for winning chances, because he's not actually doing anything himself.

That leaves your 16...g6 - it does nothing to stop white from playing the same ideas as against 16...Qc7. 17. Bg2, ...c5 is restrained (black's source of counterplay), and white can once again time e4.

You obviously really like the Tartakower, so obviously that's not going to dissuade you from playing it regardless of the theoretical standing of it, judging by your comment about theory earlier.

The 11. 0-0 line is not exciting in the slightest, but 11...c6 (or your 11...Re8 move order - same exact thing) is not the hardest theoretical test. 11...c5 is a simple and easy equalizer, but boring. That's just how it is some times.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #47 - 01/24/10 at 13:22:11
Post Tools
Well to be honest the continuation given by BPaulsen (11...Re8 12. Qb3 c6 13. Re1 Nd7 14. Rad1 Nf8 15. Bf1 Ne6 16. g3 ) is not exactly a line in the Tartakower that gives Black any problems as far as I am concerned - is this the Khalifman recommendation or where is this coming from? I think the Kramnik 1.Nf3 series recommended some line like this for White although it was far from convincing. I know it was played in Piket-Kramnik but also in plenty of other games, without White really demonstrating anything significant. Black has many plans available besides Kramniks ...Qc7, which seems to just vacate d8 for the rook. I think I actually played this position before and put my rook on c8 then played ...g6, ...Bg7 (anticipating Whites possible pawn break e4). It is a quiet maneuvring game as you can see, if Black can time the ....c5 break correctly then he should be on the right path. I think regards the other 2 openings you mentioned (Meran and KID) its true Black has more winning chances there, but also more losing chances! In the Tartakower the battle is only starting up, and also remember that Black has 2 bishops which can be handy later, even with the IQP - check out several devastating wins with the Tartakower by Geller (who is really the man responsible for the Tartakower comeback). Geller curiously dropped the KID to take up the Tartakower - a bit of a change!?

After 11...Re8 12. Qb3 c6 13. Re1 Nd7 14. Rad1 Nf8 15. Bf1 Ne6 16. g3 Black can also play the immediate break 16...c5!? which may be good enough for equality, but I prefer delaying this break for a while with 16...g6 and ...Bg7 or Kramniks 16...Qc7. Its more provocative this way, for example after an e4 break by White sometimes its possible to allow the advance e4-e5 instead of the simple recapture, but the idea is that when the ...c5 break comes Black will have everything in order. Its no Lasker defence this stuff!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #46 - 01/24/10 at 12:52:40
Post Tools
Sorry Keano, I am not interested in your explanation either. What I want to know more about is this.
You claim that Black can maintain winning chances.
BP claims that White can force Black to accept a highly drawish position.

Now how much has Black to compromise to play for a win? More than in the Slav Meran or the KID for instance? You both already have provided some sample lines, but I would not mind seeing more.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #45 - 01/24/10 at 12:25:55
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 01/24/10 at 12:12:41:
Could you guys stop bickering about this trivial subject? BP is formally right - Keano has edited his post. The content hasn't basically changed though. Keano's explanation sounds acceptible, it has happened to me as well.
Get back to chess, will you?

Good idea...I generally only modify posts within a few minutes of posting, which I think is acceptable practice as my first version usually has severaly typos. I noticed some forums only allow modification within 5 mins of posting, and this is not a bad idea either. In the present case though what happened was we were both online and I created an entirely new post while BPaulsen was presumably editing his - and to cap it off his post appeared on a new page so he couldnt see that there was a new post added, so I can see how the confusion arose. I would never edit a post if I saw a new post submitted with new content, bit of integrity!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #44 - 01/24/10 at 12:12:41
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 01/24/10 at 05:48:04:
You editted it, as witnessed by the fact that what I quoted is markedly different from what's now posted.

Keano wrote on 01/21/10 at 15:32:04:
I think you´ve just mis-read my post - I said b4 and Qb3 were both critical, how could ...Re8 be critical, this is getting ridiculous.
[/quote]

Keano wrote on 01/21/10 at 15:32:04:
I think you´ve just mis-read my post - I said 12.b4 and 12.Qb3 were both critical (because you originally said b4 was not critical), how could ...Re8 possibly be critical, although it is the best move-order in my view

Could you guys stop bickering about this trivial subject? BP is formally right - Keano has edited his post. The content hasn't basically changed though. Keano's explanation sounds acceptible, it has happened to me as well.
Get back to chess, will you?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #43 - 01/24/10 at 12:07:10
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 01/24/10 at 11:49:01:
No I edited a previous post adding more information and not deleting, what happened was I created a new post just before you created yours at the top of this page. You must have created your post and then not gone back to check if anybody had got in any new posts before you since yours came up at the top of the page. Anyway as I said before no point in going round in circles, we are arguing about semantics and its not even interesting anymore.You have a high-flung opinion of the mystical oracle of theory and I hope you remain happy with your "+=" assesment, since you seem quite definite about it.

This all started with your response to a theoretical line I mentioned.

It's pretty easy to stick your fingers in your ears and scream, "I can't hear you!" when you realize you were off-base in the first place.

And yes, I trust theory in that particular variation. As I said earlier - just because theory evaluates something a certain way doesn't mean people won't play it.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #42 - 01/24/10 at 11:53:04
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 01/24/10 at 01:11:12:
19. ed Qf4 20. Rc1 Qxd4 21. Qxd4 Bxd4 = (Onischuk) was given in ECO; Sokolov extends it with 22. Rfd1 Bc5 23. Bc6 Nf6 "with a drawn endgame."

Interesting - 19...Qf4 looks better alright, I`ll have to look at this whole line with Ne5 again. Since the practical results were so bad I had given up on it, but as you say yourself another question is if its worth the hassle allowing it.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #41 - 01/24/10 at 11:49:01
Post Tools
No I edited a previous post adding more information and not deleting, what happened was I created a new post just before you created yours at the top of this page. You must have created your post and then not gone back to check if anybody had got in any new posts before you since yours came up at the top of the page. Anyway as I said before no point in going round in circles, we are arguing about semantics and its not even interesting anymore.You have a high-flung opinion of the mystical oracle of theory and I hope you remain happy with your "+=" assesment, since you seem quite definite about it.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #40 - 01/24/10 at 05:48:04
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 01/21/10 at 19:35:24:
No - I edited nothing. I created a new post which was posted before yours. As for the rest of your post it makes no sense to me and I disagree with the premise so theres no point in continuing going round in circles.

You editted it, as witnessed by the fact that what I quoted is markedly different from what's now posted.

Your premise is that you can play for a win in the Tartakower by maintaining tension in a theoretically slightly worse position, instead of trying to equalize. That can be done from any opening, and the Tartakower is not unique in this regard - that is a practical issue, not theoretical.

Hardly anything for white to fear from a theoretical standpoint, at any rate. White should fear equalizers he can't avoid (ie: 11. 0-0 c5) if he's seeking an edge, but my goal was to point out that white can play a line in which black's equalizer leads to dull equality. White players are definitely not going to fear black playing lines that give him a slight advantage.

Your Re8 isn't critical theoretically after 11. 0-0 Re8 12. Qb3 c6 13. Re1, because it transposes directly into another line that's evaluated as giving white a slight advantage (namely: 11...c6 12. Qb3 Re8 13. Re1).

That's the point. Black's choice is dull equality, or a slightly worse position with practical chances. If you think it's rich enough that you can play for a win from there, fine, but that's not a theoretical issue. You're confused because you entered a theoretical discussion trying to talk about practical issues (ie: playing for a win).

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #39 - 01/24/10 at 01:11:12
Post Tools
19. ed Qf4 20. Rc1 Qxd4 21. Qxd4 Bxd4 = (Onischuk) was given in ECO; Sokolov extends it with 22. Rfd1 Bc5 23. Bc6 Nf6 "with a drawn endgame."

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #38 - 01/23/10 at 22:46:34
Post Tools
In that line Krasenkov suggests 19.exd4"!?"  Qd6 20.Ne3 and this looks more awkward for Black to me. I'm not sure who is right about the other position after 19.e4, it honestly looks very murky to me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo