Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Annoying Problem with Chessbase (Read 76420 times)
aboutblank
YaBB Newbies

Re: Annoying Problem with Chessbase
Reply #33 - 10/01/13 at 11:00:54
Post Tools
October 1, 2013 (continued):

3) I lucked out, and found an active link to SP6 on the web!  Here it is:

(Please see below; I can't post the active link until I am writing my sixth message  Embarrassed  )

========
aboutblank

IP Logged

aboutblank
YaBB Newbies

Reply #32 - 10/01/13 at 10:58:13
Post Tools
October 1, 2013 (continued):

2) SP6 did correct the issue! (CB10 SP6 'December 19 2011')

========
aboutblank

IP Logged

aboutblank
YaBB Newbies

Reply #31 - 10/01/13 at 10:56:42
Post Tools
October 1, 2013: 

Well, with a little luck, I managed to answer my own questions:

1) I don't know if anyone else has encountered my issues with ChessBase 10, but I am fairly certain that the issues are with the SP5 version (CB10 SP5 'July 22, 2010').

========
aboutblank

IP Logged

aboutblank
YaBB Newbies

Reply #30 - 10/01/13 at 01:37:07
Post Tools
September 30, 2013:

I realize that this topic is nearly a year old, but here goes anyway:

I'm currently using ChessBase 10 ('CB10') as well as ChessBase 11 ('CB11'), though I prefer CB10 over CB11 due to it's interface (I'm not a fan of the 'ribbon' interface in CB11) and CB10's speedier loading.  (I estimate that CB10 loads about twice as fast as CB11, on startup.)

However, I have encountered a problem with CB10:  If I wish to add a game to my designated Repertoire Database by right clicking on the currently displayed game board and selecting 'Add to Repertoire...', I get a flashing small window that immediately disappears, and is replaced by a 'CBase10' warning dialog which states: 

"An unsupported operation was attempted".

Clicking on 'OK' immediately dismisses the window, and it is replaced by an identical warning dialog that must also be dismissed by clicking 'OK'.  No changes are made to any database - the game is not added to the Repertoire. 

Moreover, if I open a database, and attempt to scan it with the 'Filter' function with the 'In Repertoire' box checked on the Game Data tab, no game is ever found, despite the fact that several test games have already been added to the database I am scanning.  It is as if the Repertoire database does not exist, and CB10 will actually create a new one if no database has been designated as 'Repertoire' in its properties.   (Both these functions, adding a game to the Repertoire Database and scanning a database for games in the Repertoire Database, work 'as advertised' with CB11.)  These flaws are very consistent, and occur regardless of whether CB10 is activated or not activated, and regardless of the location of the databases involved.  (I tried creating various databases, test and Repertoire, in the 'ChessBase', 'Bases',  'Repertoire', and 'Work' folders, no luck).

My versions in use are as follows:
CB10 SP5 'July 22, 2010'
CB11 11.31 'Aug 29, 2013'  (I thought this was SP29, but apparently is SP31?!)

When checked on-line, CB10 reports that it is up-to-date, though I noted that someone in this thread (I believe it was Tony Kosten) stated:

Quote:
My version of CB10 is SP6 (I think) dated 'December 19 2011'

I've been able to locate SP5 for CB10 on line, but not SP6.  I am wondering whether 1) anyone else has encountered this issue with CB10; 2) if 'SP6' corrected it; and if so, 3) could someone provide a link to the SP6 update?

I'd appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks in advance!

========
aboutblank

IP Logged

DrRobert
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 11/27/12 at 17:10:19
Post Tools
When I have had this problem it is only because I am trying to launch it by double clicking on it in the finder.  This causes a windows permission problem for some programs.  When I launch it out of the windows explorer most things install just fine.

Straggler wrote on 08/30/12 at 07:34:44:
I have just found that CB9 won't install into a virtual Windows machine running on a new Mac under Parallels 7. It just says "cannot run setup.exe", which is less than helpful. The support form on their website suggests that they don't support v.9 any more, since it doesn't appear in the list of versions from which you have to choose. I know it's getting a bit old, but I am successfully running many Windows programs that are much older. Having spent a small fortune on CB products over the last 25 years, constantly hoping that the next version would be less buggy than the last, I think I've had enough.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #28 - 11/21/12 at 22:20:45
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 11/02/12 at 09:58:28:
Not sure though, because some new problems can arise..  Roll Eyes

I would be surprised if they didn't! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 11/18/12 at 19:38:15
Post Tools
Another annoying thing I have forgot to mention here is the following:

I normally use the scroll wheel on my mouse to go through games. However, this stops working whenever the search window for the online database is opened. The problem is that this one opens if you hit enter with a game window open, i.e. it happens easily.

I just realized that I might fix this by changing the shortcut for what Enter does, but it is still annoying that this problem exists in the first place.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 11/02/12 at 09:58:28
Post Tools
Hi, Tony!
An announcement from Chessbase about their brand new Chessbase 12 product due to be released in the 1st of December this year: http://www.debestezet.nl/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2258
I've found it by accident on this .nl page, but it's in English.
As long as I can see there would be some improvements in this version, so I expect the problems you mentioned here would vanish in the air..  Wink
Not sure though, because some new problems can arise..  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #25 - 10/16/12 at 21:44:53
Post Tools
In my opinion the single most annoying problem with ChessBase is the 'F9' key ('Maximize all'). For example:
You have several databases and games open and you are clicking through the games in one database with the 'F10' key, and then you just touch the 'F9' key by mistake ... suddenly all the CB windows maximize!
How do you get them all to go back to their original size? Maybe there is a clever way to do this, but I just have to go through each window clicking on the 'Restore Down' button. Angry

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #24 - 09/01/12 at 18:06:34
Post Tools
Igor, I tried your suggestions 1 and 3 without success. I don't understand no. 2, since Run as Administrator is not one of the options that appear when I right-click on setup.exe. But thanks for trying.

IP Logged

Igor

Schild und Schwert der
Partei!

Reply #23 - 08/30/12 at 09:41:00
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 08/30/12 at 07:34:44:
I have just found that CB9 won't install into a virtual Windows machine running on a new Mac under Parallels 7. It just says "cannot run setup.exe", which is less than helpful. The support form on their website suggests that they don't support v.9 any more, since it doesn't appear in the list of versions from which you have to choose. I know it's getting a bit old, but I am successfully running many Windows programs that are much older. Having spent a small fortune on CB products over the last 25 years, constantly hoping that the next version would be less buggy than the last, I think I've had enough.

You can try:
- move the setup.exe to another directory (maybe there is a problem if you launch it from a shared folder)
- open setup.exe with right-click -> Run as Administrator
- uninstall previous installations and clean windows' registry

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #22 - 08/30/12 at 07:34:44
Post Tools

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #21 - 07/22/12 at 12:44:36
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/21/12 at 14:41:57:
I printed out a CB file into an RTF document and then realised that all the diagrams were of the position from a move before!! Incredible! Angry

Actually it was 'only' one third to half the diagrams that were wrong, and all by one half-move.
I redid the document using CB10 and copied and pasted the correct diagrams across. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #20 - 07/21/12 at 14:41:57
Post Tools
Wow, I just found the weirdest bug in CB11! I printed out a CB file into an RTF document and then realised that all the diagrams were of the position from a move before!! Incredible! Angry

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 07/17/12 at 19:59:01
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 07/17/12 at 19:54:11:
The really worst bug in CB10 still hasn't been fixed, when the game notation just disappears and you have to Alt+Tab a couple of times just to get it back.

Yes, indeed!.. This is the bug I really hate to see while working with Chessbase. It annoys me very much.  Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo