Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) chess for toddlers (Read 11135 times)
JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: chess for toddlers
Reply #11 - 01/13/10 at 13:41:25
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 01/12/10 at 00:56:56:
Anyone who has a 5-7 yr old can tell you, they don't "toddle" anymore. 

Indeed.  I'd say "toddler" means up to the age of three or so at most.

e.g. my three year old niece Freya finding out about chess ...
http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com/2010/01/freya.html

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #10 - 01/12/10 at 00:56:56
Post Tools
Anyone who has a 5-7 yr old can tell you, they don't "toddle" anymore.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #9 - 01/11/10 at 15:23:05
Post Tools
Quote:
I wouldn't call 5 and 7yo - toddlers

To be honest - I dont know because English is not my native language, but I like the word Smiley

... and most of the time they all behave like the 2 years old - well  Grin

Anyway today I replayed a classical game with my older son and let him find the squares (where is a1 and so on...) - it was great father-son-fun Wink

IP Logged

whitecraw

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #8 - 01/11/10 at 14:09:03
Post Tools
I wouldn't call 5 and 7yo - toddlers   Huh

Fox and Hounds sounds good, but maybe it'll confuse them when they reckon that the pawns can move diagonally and forwards/backwards. My kids liked playing checkers (draughts in the UK) as an alternative. Any strategy game is good, i.e. connect4, noughts and crosses etc....

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #7 - 01/09/10 at 17:01:25
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 01/09/10 at 16:59:19:
Fox and Hounds!

You may have a different name for it.  White gets the "fox," a pawn on e1 that can only move diagonally one square at a time, but can go either forward or backwards.  Black gets the "hounds," four pawns on b8, d8, f8 and h8, that can only move diagonally one square at a time, and can only go forward, never backwards.  There are no captures.  The job of the hounds is to pin the fox down and catch it.  If the fox gets through the line, he escapes to freedom and wins.  Teaches them how to think.

Sounds great - I will try this with my 2 older toddlers (5 and 7) and let my younger toddler (2) do the referee Wink

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

Reply #6 - 01/09/10 at 16:59:19
Post Tools
Fox and Hounds!

You may have a different name for it.  White gets the "fox," a pawn on e1 that can only move diagonally one square at a time, but can go either forward or backwards.  Black gets the "hounds," four pawns on b8, d8, f8 and h8, that can only move diagonally one square at a time, and can only go forward, never backwards.  There are no captures.  The job of the hounds is to pin the fox down and catch it.  If the fox gets through the line, he escapes to freedom and wins.  Teaches them how to think.

IP Logged

whitecraw

Reply #5 - 01/07/10 at 18:59:10
Post Tools
I assume you're talking about 1-3yrs old. Aside from making sure they don't put the pieces in their mouth  Shocked , I would just get them fascinated by the pieces. Maybe show them the different piece sets, ie Staunton, Isle of Lewis etc to get them interested. If you must teach them moves, then I'd start with the Pawn Game, maybe 4v4 Pawns, no Kings, see who can get their Pawn to the other side first (Fritz and Chesster Pawn Whopping game). I played an 8v8 pawn game with no Kings with my daughter when she was a bit older,around 5-6yo, then added the Kings. Most of all, have fun !!

IP Logged

Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/07/10 at 18:52:10
Post Tools
I learned the basic rules at age 3 or 4, then never played seriously until I was 14.  I do remember that in my first game against my father, my opening strategy was Nf3-Ng5-Nxf7 hope he wouldn't see the threat to take the queen on d8.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/10 at 11:10:45
Post Tools
The best thing you can do is teach the enthusiastic toddler how to play (if they are mentally mature/developed enough), and play several games against the toddler. You have to make the game fun for young players to play so that he/she will continue to play and enjoy the game, so don't beat him/her every game or enter the toddler into tournaments above his/her league.

One point I would like to stress is that you shouldn't get too involved. A good sign of a serious interest in chess from a young player is when the child brings the parents to the tournaments, rather than the other way around. Wink Also, don't try to correct all of his mistakes at once or you will discourage him/her.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/07/10 at 10:33:07
Post Tools
what age exactly?

As you're from Belgium some inspiration can be found here
http://www.stappenmethode.nl/tekst_lesmateriaal_stap1.htm#Op1

I know that youth-coach had some 5 year olds last year and he expressed that it was though teaching them because they were so young. Nevertheless he did some material from stap 1 and just repeated those lessons this year.

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 01/07/10 at 09:16:51
Post Tools
oh, someone wants to create carlsen 2,
maybe just learn the pieces? only endgames?

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

chess for toddlers
01/07/10 at 08:45:31
Post Tools
Yeah, I know, it's too early (although the chinese seem to think otherwise) but what can you do if the toddler insists he wants to play ? And you don't want to spoil his chess education in advance ??

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo