Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Pirc with 4. Bg5 (Read 8411 times)
omegablitz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Pirc with 4. Bg5
Reply #8 - 08/15/14 at 18:04:06
Post Tools
The disadvantage of Bg5 when compared to Be3 is that  black can respond ...h6 and ...g5 after white plays Qd2 without losing a tempo.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #7 - 03/04/14 at 22:13:58
Post Tools
Dangerous plan is follow up with f4, and Austrian with the Bishop outside the pawn chain. Black can go downhill fast if not prepared. Was greatly feared in Pirc Alert! Some interesting ideas in Moskalenko's Perfect Pirc.

Strangely I have a good score against it, so I can't resist posting this nice win  Cool

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 03/04/14 at 21:00:36
Post Tools
Indeed that looks like a note indicating what Black must avoid.  Speaking of ECO (as in B08), it had 6...c6 (by transposition) as leading to "unclear" or "with compensation" (incidentally I remembered one of the games it cited, involving M. Gurevich sacrificing an exchange against Santo Roman).  Offhand I thought the position after 6. Bg5 might be a good environment for 6...c5; I see that that has been played by some titled folks.

IP Logged

chandrashekharkoravi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 03/04/14 at 18:12:43
Post Tools
chandrashekharkoravi wrote on 03/04/14 at 18:12:01:
I had made this preparation before few years...There might be lot of improvements for black..But you might get some ideas of Bg5...

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/15/10 at 14:15:42
Post Tools
Meat wrote on 01/15/10 at 09:05:50:
Of course it would come in handy to know a good line against the Pirc in order to punish those who answer 1.d4 with 1...g6 or 1...d6.  Wink

But keep in mind that 4.Bg5 perhaps isn´t so effective against the "Modern" moveorder.

IP Logged

Meat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/15/10 at 09:05:50
Post Tools
Thanks everyone. I think I'll try this line out a bit, but as I'm mainly a 1.d4 players this was mostly a general interest question. Of course it would come in handy to know a good line against the Pirc in order to punish those who answer 1.d4 with 1...g6 or 1...d6.  Wink

IP Logged

jitb

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/13/10 at 18:05:59
Post Tools
I would like to add, that white wants to win a tempo after h6 and then Be3 by Qd2, when black needs to spend a tempo to defend h6, while white is just developping.

Bg5 is played to make the e5-push stronger. You should read Pirc Alert!, which I think is very good. Grin

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 01/12/10 at 13:52:45
Post Tools
in terms of general plans :

a) if the Bg5 remains unchallenged, the main setup for White is to play f4, Qd2 (after ...c6 so as to defang ...Qb6),Nf3, Bd3 (to defend e4 after a probable ...c6-b5) and finally 0-0.  Black typically plays on white squares, and when ...d5 comes (timed against the e5 threat) White has Bxf6 followed by either e5 or f5. I like to play White here.
b) if the Bg5 is pushed back by h6-g5, White soon plays h4 & f4, often as a gambit,  with rather chaotic positions. Perhaps this is Black's best bet.
c) if Black plays ...h6 but not ...g5, White has time for f4 and the game results in an old-fashioned Pirc, (with ...c5).  I also like to play White here.

There was a very good YB article some years ago about setup (a), will try to locate it. A well-praised book is "The Pirc in Black and White" by James Vigus, it is said to have a good chapter on the Bg5 Pirc. Check this one for recent plans & assessments (and even better : subscribe to ChessPub, I guess).

IP Logged

Meat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Pirc with 4. Bg5
01/12/10 at 09:14:33
Post Tools
It was mentioned in some updates last year that 4. Bg5 has proven to be rather successful against the Pirc. I recently reached the white side of a Pirc and though a bit about trying this line, but I felt that I don't really understand the idea.
Is the plan just Qd2 Bh6? If so, what is the advantage over the Be3 lines? And why not 5. Bg5? What is the point of holding the king's knight back? I hope someone can explain a few ideas of this line or point me to instructive games.
Thanks!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo