Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: Would you ever play the Sniper?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes - In Blitz    
  0 (0.0%)
Yes - In Standard Play    
  3 (27.3%)
Yes - In 'e' mail Chess    
  0 (0.0%)
No - Its not for me    
  0 (0.0%)
It's Brilliant for Juniors    
  1 (9.1%)
I Like the name    
  0 (0.0%)
I don't like the name.    
  0 (0.0%)
Charlie Storey is a genuis.    
  0 (0.0%)
Charlie Storey is not a genius.    
  2 (18.2%)
Charlie helped make this a great read.    
  0 (0.0%)
I wish I had invented the Sniper    
  0 (0.0%)
Charlie should be applauded    
  0 (0.0%)
Charlie should be shot by a Sniper    
  4 (36.4%)
I am a Cyber Coward and a bully.    
  0 (0.0%)
I stand up for the weak and against injustice.    
  1 (9.1%)

Total votes: 11
« Last Modified by: TheSniperAuthor on: 04/02/11 at 02:08:10 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Book on the Sniper announced (Read 292329 times)
ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Re: Book on the Sniper announced
Reply #86 - 03/18/11 at 20:04:57
Post Tools
The issue is integrity. I don't expect him to have the answer to everything. As far as capability goes, Storey is an FM and has played some interesting games. I'm not going to insult him for analytical errors, but admittedly the posts here are a bit absurd.

IP Logged

PatzerNoster

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #85 - 03/18/11 at 19:59:05
Post Tools
Maybe the problem is that the author is not really capable of answering these questions satisfactorily?

IP Logged

ChevyBanginStyle

2 \infty & *CRUNCH*

Reply #84 - 03/18/11 at 19:51:41
Post Tools
I think there are many good (or at least interesting) ideas in this book, but clearly I am not alone in thinking that the author is not doing himself any favors here (if he is indeed posting). That's a shame, because I think this represents a lost opportunity. Many valid questions and criticisms have been raised in the forum and in John Donaldson's review as well.

IP Logged

Jay

Reply #83 - 03/18/11 at 17:58:16
Post Tools
TheSniperAuthor wrote on 03/17/11 at 11:39:41:
The White Sniper is extremely difficult to get any advantage at all from and the secret to playing The White Sniper, is being excellent with The Black Sniper - Ultimate Fighting Soldier - Ultimate Fighting repertoire - With Black or White. Smiley

Isn't this a negative?  As white you will struggle to get advantage?  But perhaps it is true of all openings against proper play, but even so!

The White Sniper?  g3, Bb2 c4?  There are tons of repertoire books on this formation albeit from either the English/Dynamic English move order or even from the d4/Catalan move order.  It's a very large basis of Avrukh's 1.d4.

TN wrote on 03/18/11 at 09:44:41:
There is no need to play the White Sniper. Just play 1.g3, 2.Bg2, 3.c3 and 4.c4 and you will have the Black Sniper!  Cheesy

Very amusing, but I have to wonder if your black results would go up if one attempted to 'always play black.'

TheSniperAuthor wrote on 03/17/11 at 11:39:41:
I new this would happen (genius bi - product!) and that is why I set-up The Sniper Monthly Update, which has Mind Maps, Video, Articles, Latest Sniper analysis, Club Players Corner, Forums and much much more. The Sniper - Ultimate Fighting Soldier - Ultimate Fighting repertoire - With Black or White. Smiley

Okay I think I am tossing my hat in the imposter corner.  This is the second grammatical error I have spotted. 'New' for 'knew?'  'Your' for 'You're?'  I also noted a few stylistic issues which seem dubious to the care that a professional author would craft.  This is a professional author?  Perhaps this is the root of the criticisms, when we pay for a chess book, we expect a certain eloquence, an ability to express nuance and detail with charm and elogance. 

I have to say that this is either genius marketing or idiotic marketing; I'm having a tough time deciding.  I might pick up the book just to see what the fuss it, but then again I might not. 

As for criticisms that many lines are covered, it really depends on why I am buying a book on whether I want this or not.  There is a place for exhaustive tomes on openings, but there is also room for a rather brief framework (we could call it a survey but a survey would hit all lines very briefly) which may not explain how to approach all responses but with the assurance that the position is nearly equal.  I think many amatuers might want this; they get lost in deeper theoretical manuals anyway, but perhaps those looking for this might do best with the format introduced by Chess Stars.  It gets high reviews and allows someone to adopt 'the bones' before delving more deeply into the theory.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #82 - 03/18/11 at 17:18:03
Post Tools
This thread has become a perfect example of how an author anti-advertizes against his own work. FM Storey may be a genius in his own eyes, he obviously needs to follow a course in marketing techniques.

TheSniperAuthor wrote on 03/18/11 at 09:55:58:
this Platform does affect an Authors reputation - and livelihood!

The usual lame argument of a lame author. As if anybody asked him to write that book or to show up on this forum. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
But I won't vote, because the only good option is not there:

Storey is way over the top to most of his posts

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #81 - 03/18/11 at 17:14:51
Post Tools
JN wrote on 03/16/11 at 16:43:06:
I have bought and read the entire book. I'm not that disappointed with neither the content nor with the paper quality, etc. I did not expect to find a safe winning recipe for black and I couldn’t care less about paper quality etc. My only real problem with the book is the rather brief coverage of what I find to be the most challenging line for black in the so-called pure Sniper:

1. e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 c5 4.dxc5! Bxc3 5.bxc3 Qa5 (the two other lines (4…Nf6 and 4…Nc6) discussed by the author are probably worse) 6.Qd4 Nf6 7.Qb4! Nc6 8.Qxa5 Nxa5. Black is down a pawn. Rybka is close to +1.00. The author briefly mentions something about playing a later b6 a la Benko. I think this critical line deserves more coverage than just a single game.

I have spent some time trying to find a playable way for black in the 4.dxc5! line. But white just looks to be way better. This is maybe why some people only play the Sniper with a Sicilian move order where white has played Nf3 – e.g., 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.d4 Bg7.

That's the best post on this thread, and the issue that should be discussed.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #80 - 03/18/11 at 15:34:21
Post Tools
I really don't care (and don't expect) if the lines are perfectly correct and/or complete. I just liked the originality of the book and had a lot of fun with it. It is much easier (better for your mental health) to look at the positive things the book offers, then keep pounding on the negative things. If you didn't like the book, then why did you buy it?

IP Logged

Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #79 - 03/18/11 at 15:23:07
Post Tools
Huh
Is this thread for real??
Come on man (SniperAuthor, if you didn't get the reference, which given your posts I have serious doubts on) - quit while you still can.
I could write a lot of pages on all the faulty and missing lines in the book, which I chose not to. And now you come blazing with all guns drawn against the line I did write. Is this an invitation to get all the other lines that are wrong in your book?
I'll leave it at 9.g4 in the Dragon, but rest asure that you can have it your way too.

IP Logged

TheSniperAuthor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #78 - 03/18/11 at 09:55:58
Post Tools
The Sniper has caused some emotive reactions by members and The Sniper Author  - F.M. Charlie Storey.

Here is an updated POLL  that is 50/50.

Please answer truthfully if you choose to vote, as this Platform does affect an Authors reputation - and livelihood!

Thanks for voting - F.M. Charlie Storey

The Sniper Monthly Update

see     http://www.CharlieCHESS.com
IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #77 - 03/18/11 at 09:44:41
Post Tools
PatzerNoster wrote on 03/18/11 at 07:42:38:
TheSniperAuthor wrote on 03/17/11 at 20:13:06:
The ...Qb6 Sniper Kupreichik analysis itself completely turns theory on its head - Its worth the price of the book alone, further, that is how Chess should be played!

Oh, of course I forgot that you found a forced win for black here!  Sad
It seems time to lay 1.e4 to rest and start playing the "white sniper".  Grin

There is no need to play the White Sniper. Just play 1.g3, 2.Bg2, 3.c3 and 4.c4 and you will have the Black Sniper!  Cheesy

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

PatzerNoster

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #76 - 03/18/11 at 07:42:38
Post Tools
TheSniperAuthor wrote on 03/17/11 at 20:13:06:
The ...Qb6 Sniper Kupreichik analysis itself completely turns theory on its head - Its worth the price of the book alone, further, that is how Chess should be played!

Oh, of course I forgot that you found a forced win for black here!  Sad
It seems time to lay 1.e4 to rest and start playing the "white sniper".  Grin

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #75 - 03/18/11 at 05:08:27
Post Tools
TheSniperAuthor wrote on 03/17/11 at 11:54:48:
The Sniper is sold out everywhere- The initial large print run has gone and I am awaiting Copies from the main book distributor (They have completely Sold Out!) - EverymanChess are currently looking in to this

If you would like a signed copy with a message from me on the title page - anything you like - Please go to my e-bay account to order - The current bid is just £3 - so you can grab a bargain;

I will post as soon as my Author rate copies arrive - I have ordered them.

Product Description   

The Signed Sniper Book from the Author himself;

F.M. Charlie Storey

- with your own  message added.
For Example;
To Pep Guardiola and your son Lionel, enjoy your adventure into becoming a ' Chess Sniper' 
                     Best Wishes F.M. Charlie Storey

Product Description

The Sniper is a dynamic and universal opening weapon for Black which can be used against all mainline openings. Black's system of development with ...g6 and ...Bg7 initially allows White to occupy the centre but, in true hypermodern style, Black strikes back immediately with ...c5. The Sniper can lead to original or barely-known positions in which Black can strive for the initiative. It's also rich in move-order possibilities, with potential transpositions into Sicilian, King's Indian or Benko-type positions. FIDE Master Charlie Storey has spent years refining his favourite opening, successfully testing it out against players of all levels. In this book he reveals all his secrets, recommends his favourite lines for Black and provides you with everything you need to know about this fascinating opening. It includes a repertoire for Black against 1 e4 and 1 d4. It is packed full of creative and original ideas. It explains typical plans and tactics for both sides.

About the Author

Charlie Storey is a FIDE Master and the winner of many tournaments in the UK. He has been teaching chess for over 15 years and is the author of The National Chess Syllabus. In 2009 he coached the England junior team at the Under-16 Olympiad.

The Sniper book also offers a SNIPER MONTHLY UPDATE service for just £1.70 per month (£20 per year) see (I will not publish this out of respect to ChessPublishing.com) which is packed full of all things Sniper that ensures all trainees are kept up to-date with the latest Grandmaster games on The Sniper, Sniper Mind Maps, Videos, Forums, Free Email Sniper games and much much more.

Charlie also develops Junior Chess throughout North East England - see www.CharlieChess.com for details of his Junior Chess development programmes.

The Sniper - A Modern Warfare Miracle.

Cool storey bro.  Grin

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #74 - 03/18/11 at 02:07:13
Post Tools
Keeping all the crass advertising for other services?

Best delete the poll - he changed it round to make it appear that people had voted for him. Dishonesty is unattractive. Shouldn't be teaching, no place in the profession for individuals who lack integrity.

Keep the conspiracy theories.

Yes, tough to receive criticism, but worse to deflect it.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #73 - 03/18/11 at 02:03:14
Post Tools
tafl wrote on 03/17/11 at 15:52:56:
And some complain about CAPS ON...

I modified the post and returned the fonts to normal sizes.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #72 - 03/18/11 at 02:00:30
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 03/16/11 at 12:10:06:
Is this a wind-up? Or just a meander into the absurd. Perhaps Tony K could check that it is the real author behind the alias.

I fear it may indeed be he. Some authors get overly defensive as it is never easy to accept having your book criticized.

g3g6 wrote on 03/17/11 at 11:51:43:
Its interesting that someone (Charlie?) manipulated with poll and renamed some items. Very good job!

If that is so then I feel it is only fair that I should delete it, unless the changes were insignificant?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo