Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 67072 times)
MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella
Reply #210 - Today at 08:50:42
Post Tools
December according to chess and bridge. Pre Xmas at least, although I'm not quite sure how much that matters for chess books Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #209 - yesterday at 23:12:30
Post Tools
I guess it depends where in Europe you are and how fast your shops get the book. My understanding is that late last week the book arrived at the Everyman warehouse, but I'm not super sure how quickly they're going to get them out, etc. I hope it's this week! Everyman estimated November release in Europe, and November is quickly wrapping up!

I hope titled players will get a lot out of the book - the intro is probably too basic for players that strong, but the analysis is fairly deep. Shabalov liked it enough to write a forward for it, and he very rarely puts pen to paper.

Cheesy

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #208 - yesterday at 22:17:36
Post Tools
Hej Tony, congratulations on your book, do you think that Europe get the book this week? I plan to order it, it looks good for titled players based on what I see on Amazon.uk preview.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #207 - yesterday at 21:16:08
Post Tools
Thank you so much - would love to hear everyone's thoughts about the book - good or bad - once readers can get their hands on it.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #206 - yesterday at 19:55:39
Post Tools
Looks a terrific book. Well done Tony. I'll be picking up a copy at some point.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #205 - 11/20/14 at 14:58:59
Post Tools
The first run will arrive in Everyman's UK Warehouse today. Can't be long now for those of you across the pond.

Grin

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #204 - 11/11/14 at 20:14:15
Post Tools
No problem - it was sort of hidden! It's not yet uploaded to Amazon US, and Amazon UK has two listings for it, only one of which has the "Look Inside" feature.

Shocked

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #203 - 11/11/14 at 19:21:22
Post Tools
Cheers Tony. Didn't know about the Amazon 'Look Inside'

TonyRo wrote on 11/11/14 at 18:39:02:
Not sure what kind of detail you're looking for, but the index of variations in the back of the book previewed here is relatively thorough:

The Killer Sicilian @ Amazon UK

Basically the classic main lines of the Alapin with 2...Nf6 and an early ...Nc6 and ...d6. This is mostly a repertoire-meshing choice, as that ensures that we're difficult to derail after the Smith Morra or 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3.

The Closed will be met by fianchetto systems with ...e5. Again, sort of a repertoire meshing necessity, as 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nge2 threatens 4.d4 and must therefore be met by 3...e5, after which 4.g3 would take us into a Closed Sicilian. I really like the ...e5 systems anyway and would have recommended them regardless. Again (very consistent with the rest of the book as a whole), these lines are not as popular as the ...e6 systems, but just as viable.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #202 - 11/11/14 at 18:39:02
Post Tools
Not sure what kind of detail you're looking for, but the index of variations in the back of the book previewed here is relatively thorough:

The Killer Sicilian @ Amazon UK

Basically the classic main lines of the Alapin with 2...Nf6 and an early ...Nc6 and ...d6. This is mostly a repertoire-meshing choice, as that ensures that we're difficult to derail after the Smith Morra or 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3.

The Closed will be met by fianchetto systems with ...e5. Again, sort of a repertoire meshing necessity, as 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Nge2 threatens 4.d4 and must therefore be met by 3...e5, after which 4.g3 would take us into a Closed Sicilian. I really like the ...e5 systems anyway and would have recommended them regardless. Again (very consistent with the rest of the book as a whole), these lines are not as popular as the ...e6 systems, but just as viable.

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #201 - 11/11/14 at 16:26:12
Post Tools
I wonder if you can spill the beans on the recommendations in the 2.c3 and Closed Sicilians

Look forward to receiving my copy

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #200 - 11/10/14 at 19:49:33
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 11/10/14 at 10:38:45:
The anti-Sicilian coverage is definitely the reason why I will buy this book immediately when it's out. It's a very rare thing these days for an opening book to cover "anti" lines as well.

I can tell you why it's rare - because it's a second book in and of itself!  Grin

I am pretty happy with the Anti-Sicilian repertoire I put together. It's hard to keep everything consistent and still have the freedom of choice, but I think I did a good job.

Grin

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #199 - 11/10/14 at 10:38:45
Post Tools
I seem to recall Van der Wiel jokingly called it Kalashnikov, because it was a dangerous weapon and came from Russia (and it rhymes with Sveshnikov). Then the name stuck.

The anti-Sicilian coverage is definitely the reason why I will buy this book immediately when it's out. It's a very rare thing these days for an opening book to cover "anti" lines as well. But mostly because I already play the Accelerated Dragon and the Classical using 2...Nc6; I want to learn and try out the Kalashnikov, but the anti coverage will be immediately useful regardless.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #198 - 11/10/14 at 01:15:18
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 11/09/14 at 16:29:14:
For me it will probably be the other way round. I might combine the Kalashnikov with the Accelerated Dragon and avoid the Maroczy.

I have never thought of that one, but I like it!

It's a bit of a pity that you don't mention GM John van der Wiel in your introduction. He invented the name The Kalashnikov in the second half ofthe 80's. There are some obscure Dutch sources to prove this.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/dossier-archief/schaken-handige-knoeier-laat-fritz-spel...

"een heel andere variant die van John van der Wiel de naam 'Kalasjnikov' heeft meegekregen."
An entire differnt variation which received frm John van de Wiel the name "Kalasjnikov".

That is a pity - truth be told I'd been wondering about the name for a long time but had never heard anything about it in English sources. Van Der Wiel himself hasn't played a ton of games with the variation, but giving the opening it's name is definitely worth a mention. I hope you can forgive me for not consulting the aforementioned sources.

Undecided

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #197 - 11/10/14 at 01:08:07
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 11/09/14 at 23:38:04:
But the Rossolimo often seems to have taken over as the main line on both amateur and GM level (is it fair to still call it an "Anti-Sicilian"!?) and it's a bit of a headache to find the optimal solution to. And both 3.c3 and 3.Nc3 must also be taken very seriously. So the book has a wide potential readership!

It definitely feels that way to me as well. I wrote in the intro that around 50% of my games after 2..Nc6 are Rossolimos, but maybe it's just slightly less, 40% or so (I rarely play OTB - this statistic was compiled on ICC, where I'm ~2300 standard and 2000 blitz - decidedly "club level"). That's still a ton, and it's an important line. I like 3...Nf6 because the positions are really interesting, but also because it's less known and White players aren't prepared as well. At the level mentioned above, I very, very rarely see the critical 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.Nc3! g6 5.e5, but in the book I dedicate over twenty pages to it.

Actually there's a very similar phenomena with with the main line of the Kalashnikov after 6.N1c3 a6 7.Na3 Be7!? - Chapter 1 covers the most important move, 8.Nc4 and is almost 40 pages, but I rarely see the position. This repertoire is nice in that way.

Grin

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #196 - 11/10/14 at 00:31:13
Post Tools
even if it's non-Kalashnikov players incorporating some of the Anti-Sicilian ideas into their repertoire.

For me it will probably be the other way round. I might combine the Kalashnikov with the Accelerate Dragon and avoid the Maroczy.
It's a bit of a pity that you don't mention GM John van der Wiel in your introduction. He invented the name The Kalashnikov in the second half ofthe 80's. There are some obscure Dutch sources to prove this.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/dossier-archief/schaken-handige-knoeier-laat-fritz-spel...

"een heel andere variant die van John van der Wiel de naam 'Kalasjnikov' heeft meegekregen."
An entire differnt variation which received frm John van de Wiel the name "Kalasjnikov".

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top