Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 384439 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella
Reply #266 - 12/24/14 at 19:43:02
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 12/24/14 at 16:25:07:
Finally picked up my copy this morning....and i think i am really going to enjoy studying this over the next few weeks!

I hope you do! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy myself, as weird as that sounds. I find myself using the PDF copy I received already... Cheesy

First thing i checked for was the line against the Morra Gambit as I used to play that when i opened 1.e4. Was initially a bit disappointed to find the main recommendation was to go down the C3 lines

Yeah I totally understand. If I wrote the book a few years earlier you would have no doubt received a Morra Accepted line. But then all of these books came out, and in my older, wiser age I started to appreciate the pragmatic and practical advantages of not allowing people to enter lines they really enjoy. I'm sure Morra players feel the same I felt when I played the Dragon and had to face 3.Bb5+, or the Benko and had to face 2.Nf3. And like you said, this keeps the repertoire consistent, tight, and not prone to being irrelevant when some obsessive, Morra-crazed fanatic finds one improvement over my line and torches 20 pages of my book.

Grin

Tony, while i was in the shop, one of the staff commented that they had recieved a lot of requests/enquiries about the book and they think its going to be very popular...so well done!

Thanks, I hope so! I'm hoping that this book is the "go-to" source for the Kalashnikov for many years to come. Though opening theory travels so fast these days. I've already decided I'm going to do a small update to the book 6 months to a year from now, even if it's just unofficial and distributed through Facebook, ChessPub, e-mail, etc. I'm sure I'll have some repairing to do once the QC Shaw and Negi books come out!

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #265 - 12/24/14 at 16:25:07
Post Tools
Finally picked up my copy this morning....and i think i am really going to enjoy studying this over the next few weeks!

First thing i checked for was the line against the Morra Gambit as I used to play that when i opened 1.e4. Was initially a bit disappointed to find the main recommendation was to go down the C3 lines but I guess this has practical value in both minimising the amount of information a player has to learn and keeping them out of trouble while possibly leading Morra players down paths they may be unaware of (less likely now though following Essermans book) or to positions they are less comfortable with. It also shaves a few pages from what is a pretty lengthy book.

Tony, while i was in the shop, one of the staff commented that they had recieved a lot of requests/enquiries about the book and they think its going to be very popular...so well done!

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #264 - 12/23/14 at 23:02:13
Post Tools
Yahoo!

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #263 - 12/23/14 at 21:54:20
Post Tools
I got a phone call from Chess and Bridge this afternoon to say the book had arrived and would be available for me to pick up tomorrow. 

Cheesy

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #262 - 12/22/14 at 23:45:39
Post Tools
the Rossolimo games are at http://tcec.chessdom.com/archive.php?se=7&sf&ga=25 and http://tcec.chessdom.com/archive.php?se=7&sf&ga=26
both games starting 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bb5 g6 5.h3 Bg7 6.e5 Ng8 7.Bxc6 dxc6 8.d3 Nh6 9.Ne4

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #261 - 12/22/14 at 20:09:46
Post Tools
Yes, I'm assuming it's something like the following:

And now either 8.d3 or 8.O-O. I believe both are covered in the book under different move orders, but fundamentally Black's play in this position seems fine. You play ...Nh6-f5-d4, and slowly look to gang up on the e5-pawn or play ...c4/...f6. Not the most exciting chess in the world, but it's not easy to avoid some sterile, equal positions against the Rossolimo if White is intent on it.

I will try to dig up the games however - I'd like to see if I've missed some ideas somewhere.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #260 - 12/22/14 at 19:55:11
Post Tools
Regarding that "simple development" without g4, it sounds to me as though it could end up like old stuff in the line 3...g6 4. 0-0 Bg7 5. Re1 Nf6 6. e5 Nd5 7. Nc3 Nc7 8. Bxc6 dc (in which White usually doesn't play h3, and the knight's path to d4 takes five moves in either case).

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #259 - 12/22/14 at 18:26:43
Post Tools
Ahhhh, that could actually be the case. Let's hope so.  Cheesy

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #258 - 12/22/14 at 18:24:48
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 12/22/14 at 18:08:56:
nestor wrote on 12/22/14 at 14:10:18:
I went there this morning. They aren't now expecting it until January. Bah humbug....

That is pretty odd given the fact that they must be very close to where they shipped from, and other distributors seem to have it!

Hopefully they mean that the copies they recieve this week  have already been bought as pre-orders!  Wink

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #257 - 12/22/14 at 18:08:56
Post Tools
I went there this morning. They aren't now expecting it until January. Bah humbug....

That is pretty odd given the fact that they must be very close to where they shipped from, and other distributors seem to have it!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #256 - 12/22/14 at 18:07:58
Post Tools
Daniel wrote on 12/22/14 at 15:36:05:
Tony, did you see the latest TCEC Superfinal games? Stockfish and Komodo both held as black in 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 e5 5. Nb5 d5 6. Nc3 a6 7. Na3 b5 8. Nd5 Nce7

However, white crushed in both 3...Nf6 Rossolimo games with simple development in the lines after the e5 push without g4 (g4 gives black an effective f pawn break).

Edit: Does black actually have an active plan in these lines or is he just forced to shuffle around if white refrains from g4?

I did - in fact I looked at the line in the first game (with the early Bg5 and ...Bd7!?) as a possible second repertoire choice for the book, but I ended up thinking the c4! lines, as in the second game, were too dreary for Black. Perhaps he can hold, but I think White has the slightly better position. That's just my feeling.

I didn't see the Rossolimo games, but I'm surprised to hear that - I don't feel as though allowing Black to easily fix his offside knight with ...Nh6-f5-d4 makes much sense for White. Can you post them here if you have easy access?

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #255 - 12/22/14 at 17:05:07
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 12/19/14 at 18:54:16:
I spoke with Chess and Bridge this morning who expected it to be in stock today or Monday at the latest. Doesnt appear to have arrived today, so will have to wait until monday to pick it up  Sad

Most annoying if true. I dropped in this afternoon and they only said it hadnt arrived yet.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #254 - 12/22/14 at 15:36:05
Post Tools
Tony, did you see the latest TCEC Superfinal games? Stockfish and Komodo both held as black in 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 e5 5. Nb5 d5 6. Nc3 a6 7. Na3 b5 8. Nd5 Nce7

However, white crushed in both 3...Nf6 Rossolimo games with simple development in the lines after the e5 push without g4 (g4 gives black an effective f pawn break).

Edit: Does black actually have an active plan in these lines or is he just forced to shuffle around if white refrains from g4?

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #253 - 12/22/14 at 14:10:18
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 12/19/14 at 18:54:16:
I spoke with Chess and Bridge this morning who expected it to be in stock today or Monday at the latest. Doesnt appear to have arrived today, so will have to wait until monday to pick it up  Sad

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #252 - 12/20/14 at 17:30:37
Post Tools
Man I can't believe it's finally out.

*Crosses fingers that he's not lambasted*

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo