Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 384530 times)
rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Re: The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella
Reply #446 - 08/25/18 at 06:42:52
Post Tools
Dear Tony,

Like many other chess fans I'm also very proud that you, our fellow amateur player, wrote such a good book on Kalashnikov.

I wish that you write 2nd edition for Quality Chess publishing house, and if you could, get Nikolaos Ntrilis as a contributing author. I9m assured that together you will write a timeless masterpiece.

Regarding content, you should add about 100 exercises minimum, plus many rules of thumb, conclusions, suggestions etc. Especially be alert on various Anti-Sicilians etc.

Best of luck  Smiley

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #445 - 08/23/18 at 08:21:06
Post Tools
I suspect it would be easier in terms of copyright to go with Chessable. Certainly, looking at other authors and other stuff there, other folk have not been bothered by copyright at all across the platforms.
I'll be buying if you do plonk the K there!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #444 - 08/22/18 at 12:11:45
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 08/22/18 at 09:40:11:
Does that mean the other publisher is no longer considering it?

It's a contractual issue. As you might expect it's hard to publish second editions with someone else.

RoleyPoley wrote on 08/22/18 at 09:40:11:
Chessable sounds a good option that is growing in popularity. Would you consider doing other opening repertoires too?

I have quite a few ideas, who knows if they'll ever come to fruition. Working on my White repertoire pretty hard right now, that would likely be my first "release" if I ever go that route.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #443 - 08/22/18 at 09:40:11
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 08/06/18 at 19:19:00:
Thanks MNb, I'll take a look! I also had a game after the book was published that cast doubt on this approach to 10.g3 for Black. I have a few new ideas in this line that deviate quite a bit earlier - I have been meaning to share them on my YouTube channel for a while now, but also somewhat holding out due to the fact that a 2nd edition was briefly discussed with another publisher, and a possible Chessable repertoire is bouncing around in my dome.

Cheesy

Does that mean the other publisher is no longer considering it? Chessable sounds a good option that is growing in popularity. Would you consider doing other opening repertoires too?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #442 - 08/06/18 at 19:19:00
Post Tools
Thanks MNb, I'll take a look! I also had a game after the book was published that cast doubt on this approach to 10.g3 for Black. I have a few new ideas in this line that deviate quite a bit earlier - I have been meaning to share them on my YouTube channel for a while now, but also somewhat holding out due to the fact that a 2nd edition was briefly discussed with another publisher, and a possible Chessable repertoire is bouncing around in my dome.

Cheesy

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #441 - 08/03/18 at 17:08:47
Post Tools
Lahdenmäki,L - MNb
ws H/673 ICCF, 2018

0–1

With 16.c3 my opponent chose the critical continuation. When I meet the Kalashnikov as White I'll probably play it myself. TonyR's recommendation 16...a5 did not satisfy me, because way too often Black ended up in a simplified position with a queenside majority - pawn a2 and b2 vs. pawn b4, with pawn d6 remaining backward for a very long time.
So I decided it was better to saddle White with an isolated c-pawn by 16...bxc3. That was not the end of the problems. The first one was 20.Rfb1, when I had to demonstrate it's nothing but a transposition to Cipressa-Rotella, corr. 2010. The second one was the clever novelty 27.Qa3. After several days of examining it I think I can add something to TonyR's explanation on page 58.
27.Qa3 is probably an improvement. As long as the third row remains cleared Her Majesty always can quickly turn to the kingside, so the plan f2-f4-f5 and g3-g4 is just as strong. Moreover Black feels the pressure on the a-pawn, but less clear but at least as annoying also indirect pressure on pawn d6. The line 27...Nd4 28.Kh1 f6 29.f4 a5 30.f5 Ba6 31.g4 Rd7 32.Qa4 Bc8 33.Rxd6 makes this clear. In some other lines the sac Nxf6+ immediately decides the game, as mentioned by TonyR.
So I think the plan ...a5 and ...Ba6 is not the most urgent. To avoid disaster Black must force the trade of his bishop against White's dominant knight on d5; that's first priority. As I could not find a way to do this after 27...Nd4 I decided that this obvious candidate was inferior. Of course 27...Ra5 28.Qe3 seems to win a tempo, but that's unclear after Nd4 29.f4 f6 30.R1b2 Be6.
Apparently my opponent just assumed I had played 27...Nd4 indeed. Well, a win is a win, no matter how cheap, but it's in a way a pity that I must remain inconclusive on the question if 16...bxc3 is really better than 16...a5.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #440 - 01/25/17 at 08:43:21
Post Tools
I very vaguely recall that van der Wiel interview, I think it was in the Dutch chess periodical Schaaknieuws, and it was because the opening was from Russia and dangerous. And of course the -shnikov ending that makes it resemble Sveshnikov probably played a role, but I don't remember if he mentioned that.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #439 - 01/25/17 at 01:26:23
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 11/10/14 at 00:31:13:
It's a bit of a pity that you don't mention GM John van der Wiel in your introduction. He invented the name The Kalashnikov in the second half ofthe 80's. There are some obscure Dutch sources to prove this.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/dossier-archief/schaken-handige-knoeier-laat-fritz-spel...

"een heel andere variant die van John van der Wiel de naam 'Kalasjnikov' heeft meegekregen."
An entire differnt variation which received frm John van de Wiel the name "Kalasjnikov".

All the way back from 2014.  Grin

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #438 - 01/24/17 at 23:57:40
Post Tools
Named after Bob Kalashnikov. So I understand. Anglo-Russian chess and firearms enthusiast. Died a tragic early death after losing against the Rossolimo. Shot himself.
'Those who live by the gun, so shall they die by it.'
RIP

IP Logged

pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #437 - 01/24/17 at 15:36:29
Post Tools
Anyone know where the Kalashnikov gets its name?  I can't seem to find anything about a chess player named Kalashnikov.

Is it named after the gun (because it's aggressive!)?

I am using 'Killer Sicilian' as my repertoire vs 1. e4 and it's been absolutely transformational for my play.  -- In the past I have eschewed active play as black and this is really helping me at the club level.

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #436 - 01/07/17 at 12:29:33
Post Tools
Hi Tony!

How are you doing? And how is sales of Killer Sicilian going?

Did you consider to make 2nd edition with Nikolaos Ntrilis from Quality Chess on book called like Playing The Kalashnikov?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #435 - 08/13/16 at 19:38:40
Post Tools
*Thumbs up*  Grin Wink

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #434 - 08/13/16 at 17:00:43
Post Tools
I never had such an easy draw against a higher rated opponent (90 ELO points) before.

De Heer,H - MNb [B32]
NED/AOW/12 em ICCF, 15.02.2016

½–½

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #433 - 05/23/16 at 08:34:19
Post Tools
Small advantages like that from computers quite often mean utterly nothing Smiley Its when they start building/switching evaluation etc that you really need to pay attention.

IP Logged

Flashman
YaBB Newbies

I want to know only the
true!

Reply #432 - 05/23/16 at 08:23:47
Post Tools
You are right! I analysed only e4 or Ne7.
but Nd4! really looks like an opposite bishop's ending with a complete equality (even though Komodo gave 0.4 advantage for white  Undecided don't know why)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo