Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Pirc: Austrian attack with 5...c5: endgame (Read 3262 times)
JhF

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Pirc: Austrian attack with 5...c5: endgame
Reply #2 - 05/19/10 at 07:02:05
Post Tools
Khalifman gives 14.a4 a5 15.Qxc4 Nxc4 and then I suppose 16.Bc3 and 17.Ke2. If you'd like we could have a closer look at it together, for example after 14.a4 a5 15.Bc3 0-0 16.e6 Does Alburt give any games with this move?

For the sake of the discussion you are welcome to post your game.

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Re: Pirc: Austrian attack with 5...c5: endgame
Reply #1 - 05/11/10 at 11:18:24
Post Tools
It is a long time ago that I played the Pirc and I do not remember exactly what white or black should do in this variation but I would assess the reached position as follows:
this variation is very theoretical and, generally speaking, black should be better prepared than white. This means that, at this point, black should have consumed less time than white and should feel more confident/comfortable. As the game can remain very sharp, having more time and more experience should be a big advantage.
Now technically speaking, I think white is a little bit better and so, if he has not consumed more time than black at this point, it could mean he is even good prepared. In such a case, black must hope his nerves resist better than white's one.
Anyway, this will always lead to a very entertaining (and interesting) game.

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

Spongebobiscool
YaBB Newbies

Pirc: Austrian attack with 5...c5: endgame
05/10/10 at 21:51:43
Post Tools
I'm not sure whether this question belongs to either this topic or the endgame forum, my apologies in advance if I choose the wrong one. Of course it's an endgame, but I think this line is important for the assessment of 5...c5.

I reached the following endgame (with black) today:

1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. f4 Bg7 5. Nf3 c5 6. Bb5+
Bd7 7. Bxd7+ Nfxd7 8. d5 b5 9. Nxb5 Qa5+ 10. Nc3 Bxc3+ 11. bxc3 Qxc3+ 12. Bd2
Qc4 13. Qe2 Nb6

The game eventually ended in a draw, I could post the game if anybody is interested.

I think white should play here a4 and after ...a5 exchange the queens and play Ke2, but I'm not sure.

Khalifman says this position is better for white (in part 4 of the series Opening for White according to Anand), but Alburt and Chernin (in Pirc Alert!) think black is at least equal.

How would you evaluate this position and what would be the plans for both sides?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo