Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: ChessPub Opening Book of the Year?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Squeezing the Gambits (Georgiev)    
  6 (5.3%)
GM Repertoire V2 (Avrukh)    
  36 (31.9%)
GM Repertoire V7 (Schandorff)    
  7 (6.2%)
Wojo's Weapons Vol 1 (Hilton/Ippolito)    
  32 (28.3%)
Killer French DVDs (Williams)    
  4 (3.5%)
Gambit Guide W Gambits (Alterman)    
  1 (0.9%)
How to play against 1.d4 (Palliser)    
  0 (0.0%)
The Wonderful Winawer (Moskalenko)    
  13 (11.5%)
Moscow and Anti-Moscow (Dreev)    
  2 (1.8%)
GM Repertoire V6 (Ftacnik)    
  1 (0.9%)
Cutting Edge Open Sicilian 1 (Pavlovic)    
  2 (1.8%)
Mastering Chess Openings V4 (Watson)    
  9 (8.0%)

Total votes: 113
« Created by: TN on: 02/03/11 at 05:49:36 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Avrukh wins ChessPub's book of the Year 2010 (Read 57906 times)
LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Book Poll 2010 ?
Reply #82 - 03/15/11 at 20:10:16
Post Tools
The contest is over guys.  Avrukh won. 

Maybe there should be some sort of announcement and, perhaps, a prize to the author as was done last year. 

Let's whoop it up a little!

« Last Edit: 03/15/11 at 22:36:41 by LeeRoth »  

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #81 - 03/10/11 at 09:45:40
Post Tools
my book of the year is Seirawan's Chess Duels

or was it limited to books on theory?

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #80 - 03/10/11 at 08:44:10
Post Tools
I thought we decided to do this the same as last year and if so shouldn't there be a 2nd round of voting between the top 3?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #79 - 03/07/11 at 01:51:19
Post Tools
Thanks, Antillian, for picking up the ball on this one!

And thanks to all who voted. This was a close contest throughout!

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #78 - 03/06/11 at 18:27:15
Post Tools
The Poll has now closed. GM Repertoire V2 (Avrukh) wins. 2/2 for Quality Chess.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #77 - 02/16/11 at 12:17:07
Post Tools
It was very funny to see several other books at the beginning of contest, started to kill all others and then quicky freezing in the middle of the poll for some strange reason.  Grin

Come on Wonderful Winawer!

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #76 - 02/15/11 at 04:39:50
Post Tools
I've been playing the Catalan in a couple of correspondence games. So far, it's not striking my fancy much except as a breather from other 1.d4 2.c4 systems.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #75 - 02/15/11 at 02:32:52
Post Tools
At the not-quite-halfway mark, the Book Poll is becoming a competition between two Catalanesque books: GM 2 and Wojo's Weapons.

Methinks I should play the Catalan more often  Grin

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Jonathan_Hilton
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #74 - 02/11/11 at 13:50:03
Post Tools
Ametanoitos,

Thanks for redirecting me to the relevant information. I appreciate the feedback. You're right, I'm usually not very defensive about the book--it's my first one, so if I make some mistakes with it, I'm fairly sure I can be forgiven. So long as my books keep getting better (rather than getting "easier" to write...), I ought to eventually produce something good. At the very least, it's fair to say that Dean and I sank far more of our time into Wojo I (over a year of nearly uninterrupted work) than most authors put into their books, so perhaps we deserve some bonus points for effort. Smiley I liked the book pretty well.

Wojo II is typeset and at the printer's, so I will look forward to seeing what you have to say about the next one.

Best regards,
Jonathan

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #73 - 02/11/11 at 12:14:45
Post Tools
Quote:
Hansen now has 4 stars as best.

Thanks. I saw it then but somehow forgot about it. Hansen is now like a teacher I had, who said that the best evaluations are for him! Maybe this modern 4 stars represents best the crisis or the modern marketing of chess books, but I still prefer the existence of five stars to give a prize to excellence and make a diference to many others.
Anyway, there are 3 clear books ahead that show our consensus:
Grandmaster Repertoire vol 2, Wojo Weapons winning with White and Wonderful Winawer.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #72 - 02/11/11 at 07:39:05
Post Tools
Mr Hilton,

I had understood from the relevant thread about your book that you take critisism very well and this tells many things about your character. i wish i could write better things for your book. You can visit the relevant thread and see some of the important sources (most of them many years older than your book) that you missed. Vigus in the Slav and a SOS article by GM Kogan are two examples regarding the Slav chapter. Not to mention at least a half of dozen CBM articles. Actually when an opening book is out it should be ahead of the theory and not behind.

It is fortunate for you that not many share the same opinion about your book and they have found it usefull. I hope that the next one is better from my percpective. As a lover of chess books i'll buy it for sure.

IP Logged

Jonathan_Hilton
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #71 - 02/11/11 at 07:23:52
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 02/10/11 at 08:58:05:
When the book Wojo Weapons was out i got it immediately but it is a complete disappointment for me. The truth is that the most i read it the more i don't like it!

What about the theory presented? Not even one system in the book is analysed properly, considering all the sources available and NEVER seems to be theoritical challenging. Presentation of the material? Simply bad! Khalifman style, with lots of paragraphs giving different sub-variations without bold characters and many critical sub-variations missing.

Someone would say that the real power of the book is the explanations. What? Take the Tarrasch chapter for example. Do you understand anything from the way the authors present and explain the material about how you should handle the White's side? Many critical variations end very early with the statement "and White has the usual slight edge" when actually Black has the usual slight edge!

Let's go to the Slav chapter. What you can say? Bad! Many important sources are missing. All their main lines are close to be considered better for Black! Just compare with Vigus book and you'll understand. By the way Vigus book contains much more easy to understand explanations.

Let's go to the Catalan. Some inspiration in the Closed Catalan chapter but supported by bad analysis (as always) and bad recommendations! Of course of you read analysis from the Anand-Topalov match and then compare with what the book says you are going to laugh! What about this Ne5 variation which is their main choice? Bad practical recommendation for a club player but everything would be good if they offered good analysis and explanations but even there their comments and analysis are misleading!

I really liked the concept of the book and i trully wanted to be good.

Wonderfull Winawer? Yes, that's fine. Good inspiration, recent sources checked and new, fresh analysis and ideas in the book. But why his analysis is always so shallow? This gives you the impression that he did the book in one week. And many dangerous White's tries are "passed" so easily and you get the impression that Black is in no danger there.

I like the Georgiev's book. Fantastic! To be honest i have only read carefully the Benko chapter that i was interested the most and the other chapters i just had a look. Great explanations and to the point, excellent presentation of the material and his guidance is great offering many times practical alternatives with new analysis. Yes, this is a book that could get my vote.

But to be honest Avrukh deserves it. Have you ever seen a book like that? And in one volume? World class repertoire. You have the book and you know that at the same time 100 GMs in the world read the same lines as you. At the same time you are preparing for a club tournament with it they are preparing for a super-GM tournament with it! I can imagine the author and the editors to be "killed" with the amount of work they had to put into it. And if we want to encourage great efforts that respect the customer we should give the first place to Avrukh. Giving the first place to Wojo's Weapons makes me want to laugh, really. 

Greetings! I'm glad to see all the talk going on about Wojo's Weapons.

It would be helfpul if you offered specific refutations of our analysis and listed which sources we are missing. Remember that both Dean and I actually play all the lines we recommend in the book, so nowhere are we going to say that White is better when we do not believe so 100%.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #70 - 02/10/11 at 21:10:07
Post Tools
Hansen now has 4 stars as best.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #69 - 02/10/11 at 19:06:10
Post Tools
To be honest, the truth is that 2010 was a bad year for opening books. There was not even one five stars book! Very poor!
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen132.pdf
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen131.pdf
After the fantastic book: Seirawan - Chess Duels, I think the market is crying out loud in the future for books that explain moves, plans and games like that (it takes time and work I know!) or give typical middlegames or endgames that no one gives and all that with a passion for the game, because for computer analysis or databases I prefer to use my Rybka or Mega-database and not to mention, books without bibliography. My curiosity for 2011 will be in the new series by Everyman- Nimzo-Indian move by move by the great John Emms and Ruy Lopez move by move by Neil McDonald. Let´s see...

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #68 - 02/10/11 at 10:50:43
Post Tools
The Killer French DVDs, as good as they are, are not books... A trivial point maybe, but if DVDs were generally allowed we might have had more DVDs suggested. I thought this was a book poll.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo