Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Chesspub's Catalan e-book vs. Agnus Dunnington (Read 3882 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Chesspub's Catalan e-book vs. Agnus Dunnington
Reply #7 - 11/13/10 at 20:56:14
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 11/13/10 at 14:01:34:
Damien Calloway wrote on 11/13/10 at 04:12:36:
Still, I'd like to know some basic ideas of the opening.

Then you should play some simple basic opening - like the Danish/Göring Gambit 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3. You will know about those basic ideas a lot sooner.
Of course if you have fun playing the Catalan go ahead - but don't expect learning very much. Like Heisman wrote: you are trying to master fractions while you hardly know how to divide integers.

True, true.  You have to learn to drive a Chevy before you can learn to drive a Ferrari.  It may be off topic, but there are much better ways for a 1400 to improve his game than studying deep systems like the Catalan -- or worrying much about chess opening theory at all, as a matter of fact. 

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Damien Calloway
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 11/13/10 at 18:45:32
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 11/13/10 at 11:12:20:
I have Angus' book and it is a good introduction to the opening, but a little outdated. The ChessPub eBook is a theoretical work and is more useful for someone who already knows the Catalan ideas and wants to keep on top of the latest theory.

Thank you for taking the time to respond ! I was looking for a more basic overview of the opening, not a heavier theoretical work.

Although, the more I read of Dan Heisman's articles, the more I wonder if I should just get a book like Fundamental Chess Openings to get the first 10 moves or so, then let tactics take over after that. At the point I am now, going too deep on the opening won't help me so much... just a quick and dirty summary of the main ideas will do. Then jumping in and playing without dropping pieces !

Thanks again everyone for your help.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 11/13/10 at 14:01:34
Post Tools
Damien Calloway wrote on 11/13/10 at 04:12:36:
Still, I'd like to know some basic ideas of the opening.

Then you should play some simple basic opening - like the Danish/Göring Gambit 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3. You will know about those basic ideas a lot sooner.
Of course if you have fun playing the Catalan go ahead - but don't expect learning very much. Like Heisman wrote: you are trying to master fractions while you hardly know how to divide integers.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #4 - 11/13/10 at 11:12:20
Post Tools
I have Angus' book and it is a good introduction to the opening, but a little outdated. The ChessPub eBook is a theoretical work and is more useful for someone who already knows the Catalan ideas and wants to keep on top of the latest theory.

IP Logged

Damien Calloway
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/13/10 at 04:12:36
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 11/12/10 at 22:37:49:
If I am not mistaken, Damien Calloway, you play on an online site where you are rated about 1400, and it's my impression that ratings on that site are "inflated" relative to e.g. USCF ratings.  Looking at a few of your games (played at something like 3 days per move), I see instances of material-hanging in the opening.  The idea of your studying works on the Catalan puts me in mind of this Dan Heisman column:  http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman112.pdf

Point taken, and duly noted.

Still, I'd like to know some basic ideas of the opening - not because I think that the Catalan is the magic bullet that will take me to the top, or that I will not have to stop working on tactics/stop throwing away material - but because I am actually comfortable with where I end up.

I do feel like I am learning more, as the positions are more varied and open than, say, the Colle - I am having more fun lately since trying this out at the end of the summer. I am just curious about where things go from there.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my recent games, and thank you for the link !

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 11/12/10 at 22:37:49
Post Tools
If I am not mistaken, Damien Calloway, you play on an online site where you are rated about 1400, and it's my impression that ratings on that site are "inflated" relative to e.g. USCF ratings.  Looking at a few of your games (played at something like 3 days per move), I see instances of material-hanging in the opening.  The idea of your studying works on the Catalan puts me in mind of this Dan Heisman column:  http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman112.pdf

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 11/12/10 at 20:15:52
Post Tools
My advice would be for you to get a copy of Wojo's Weapons Vol I - I doubt you'll find anything better than that on the Catalan - especially if you're looking for good explanations of themes and ideas.

IP Logged

Damien Calloway
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Chesspub's Catalan e-book vs. Agnus Dunnington
11/12/10 at 18:30:43
Post Tools
Hello !

Been a while since I last posted here, but I have a question. My chess journey has taken me towards the Catalan lately. I am getting the hang of it, getting more enjoyable games with a very rudimentary move order - d4, Nf3, g3, Bg2, O-O, or thereabouts. I am looking for something that will give me the themes and ideas behind the various moves, especially queenside.

I ask because book reviews on Amazon consistently say that the new Cat books are not as good as Agnus Dunnington's "Winning With the Catalan" as an introduction to the opening. Then, I see the forum's playable Catalan e-book. Note that my goal here is to get enough of a roadmap into the middlegame, then focus my time and energies on middlegame and tactics.

Should I hunt down Angus or go with the e-book ? Can someone tell me more about the e-book ?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo