Latest Updates:
Normal Topic GM Repetoire 6: Resulting Endgame (Read 4447 times)
Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Re: GM Repetoire 6: Resulting Endgame
Reply #2 - 02/01/11 at 09:49:51
Post Tools
That endgame looks like something Black should be avoiding to me. He is going to have to suffer long and hard to draw it. For example what if White just plays a calm move clearing the back-rank threats - something like g3. Then he's still attacking f7 pawn and h6 pawn - ideal would be to take on h6 and then try and combine play with the slow advance of the h-pawn. No doubt a computer will say it should be a draw but playing it is another thing.

IP Logged

Leo Chessi
YaBB Newbies

I Love Beer!

Re: GM Repetoire 6: Resulting Endgame
Reply #1 - 02/01/11 at 09:29:31
Post Tools
I don't know what sufficient playing strength is, but I'll comment anyway.  Black's control of the d-file likely compensates for his damaged pawn structure.  There is still a little bit of play in the position and there are opportunities for both sides to make mistakes (well, aren't there always?).  For example, 22 Qxh6 releases the blockade of Black's center and allows ...f5, when Black may be able to combine central pawn advances with action on the g- and h-files.  Even then, White's position is probably solid enough to hold, and if Black overpresses and White can exchange queens in a favorable situation, Black's structural deficiencies could tell.  Prolly about =.

All that being said, I am suspicious as to whether this truly represents best play by both sides.  Surely White can find some way to restrain the center other than exchanging knight for Black's dismal DSB.  I haven't examined these positions in detail because I prefer 5...Nf6.  In fact, these days, I prefer reaching the Dragon via 2...g6, bypassing the Moscow entirely.  Clearly not an option for the ...d6/...e6 crowd, though.

IP Logged

XNetman
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

GM Repetoire 6: Resulting Endgame
12/16/10 at 01:36:22
Post Tools
I'm going through the 3. Bb5 chapter.

On pg. 126 in the reference Ulibin-Kosintseva is given:

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bb5+ Bd7 4. Bxd7+ Qxd7 5. O-O Nc6 6. c3 Nf6 7. d4 Nxe4 8.
d5 Ne5 9. Re1 Nf6 10. Nxe5 dxe5 11. c4 O-O-O 12. Nc3 e6 13. Bg5 h6 14. Bxf6
gxf6 15. Qf3 Be7 16. Rad1 Kb8 17. d6 Bxd6 18. Nb5 Qe7 19. Nxd6 Rxd6 20. Rxd6
Qxd6 21. Qxf6 Rd8

The comment here is 'Black had no problems' but in this particular game it looks like Black only actually won on time (the actual end position looks clearly won for white).

Anyone of sufficient strength able to comment on this end game. Should the material equality end in a mutual liquidation or inability to make progress, or should the slightly better white queen and slightly weaker black kingside pawns finally decide the game?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo