Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How to combat the Lasker Variation? (Read 25570 times)
BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Re: How to combat the Lasker Variation?
Reply #11 - 01/11/11 at 13:35:49
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 01/11/11 at 12:10:33:
I am not sure about the value of ...a5. Lot's of games ended up White playing a4 at some point and practically playing with a pawn up

That's pretty much the point of the main line for white. Trying to win that.

Of course, doing it requires some very special skill. If you're not Karpov, you're probably not winning it.

The problem is that black's task is easier than white's.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #10 - 01/11/11 at 12:10:33
Post Tools
I agree that the Lasker is a very tough nut to crack. The following position - Black's last move was 16...Nf6 - is a topical example.

Perhaps someone here has an idea?

Quote:
MNB: The line Topalov chose looks very equal indeed: 16.Qa4 a5.

I am not sure about the value of ...a5. Lot's of games ended up White playing a4 at some point and practically playing with a pawn up

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #9 - 01/11/11 at 11:44:24
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 01/08/11 at 17:36:15:
Matemax, which correspondence database are you using, chessbase's?

Opening Master version January 2011 with about 950.000 corr. games

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #8 - 01/08/11 at 17:36:15
Post Tools
Thanks all, for your initial comments.

From a practical perspective, I don't mind facing it in an OTB game, but I haven't found a way to play for the win in correspondence.

Matemax, which correspondence database are you using, chessbase's?

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Reply #7 - 01/07/11 at 16:44:55
Post Tools
Indeed the Lasker Variation looks very drawish - but as I consulted my corr. Database which has 491 games with it I was surprised to see the following statistics:

White wins: 140
Draw: 240
Black wins: 101

and there are a lot of recent games which where NOT drawn - if think of computer use that's even more surprising

But it just tells us, that this variation is playable for both sides like so many others and no "dead by draw" in sight...

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #6 - 01/06/11 at 17:00:48
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 01/06/11 at 12:24:50:
The same positions some years back were evaluated as favourable for White. Today we say that Black equalises. It is something in between i think.

Also Epishin's plan with Be2-Rxc4-Bf3 is logical. Black can play ...e5 and again "equalise" but White has also a comfortable position with chances for an advantage.

Bryan, we stopped our discussion of the Bf4 variation with the conclusion that Black is OK (after a new idea i found on the early a3 variation after Nbd7). Have you found something more convincing for White?

Convincing may not be the right word, but something that seems to be just as good a try for white as allowing the Lasker/Tartakower complexes? Sure.

6. e3 Nbd7 7. a3 c5 8. cxd5 Nxd5 9. Nxd5 exd5 10. dxc5 Nxc5 11. Be2. The line tends to result in +=/= endgames, some being B versus N after a liquidation of white's b-pawn for black's d-pawn.

It's nothing huge, but I'd take that position over the Lasker's equality. A draw is probably the right result anyway, but black is going to have to work harder for it, while white risks nothing.

I don't think white has anything real in the QGD/Catalan complexes if black is thoroughly prepared, so white pretty much needs to just be able to use everything.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #5 - 01/06/11 at 12:24:50
Post Tools
The same positions some years back were evaluated as favourable for White. Today we say that Black equalises. It is something in between i think.

Also Epishin's plan with Be2-Rxc4-Bf3 is logical. Black can play ...e5 and again "equalise" but White has also a comfortable position with chances for an advantage.

Bryan, we stopped our discussion of the Bf4 variation with the conclusion that Black is OK (after a new idea i found on the early a3 variation after Nbd7). Have you found something more convincing for White?

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #4 - 01/06/11 at 03:13:55
Post Tools
As a practical try just go straight down the main line given by Khalifman in his old book, or the one used by Karpov. Black will have to know all of the theory to equalize, and it's not completely trivial.

From a theoretical perspective I'm a much bigger fan of 5. Bf4, so I just avoid it outright.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #3 - 01/06/11 at 00:23:20
Post Tools
Come on! The fashion changes, i can understand this but chess understanding is not. In the past it was considered that almost every line in the Lasker is slightly better for White. Now most are considered equal.

In reality Black is ALMOST equal but not quite so in the main line with Qc2+Qxc3 or Qc2+bxc3 or Rc1+Rxc3. Especialy in the last case White has the normal advantage. This kind of slightly worse positions are not a problem for modern GMs, so the fashion changes again in favour of the Lasker but the truth is that there is no reason of "fear" for any average club player. In you fear the Lasker what you are going to do against the KID? Or even worse against the Grunfeld that is considered nowdays very reliable?

Just pick a main line an enjoy a sound position with great winning chances. In theory? White is better, but Black is OK, so everyone is happy.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 01/05/11 at 23:26:56
Post Tools
The line Topalov chose looks very equal indeed: 16.Qa4 a5.

You might take a look at 5.e3 0-0 6.Rc1 h6 7.Bh4 Ne4 8.Bxe7 Qxe7 9.cxd5 Nxc3 10.bxc3 exd5 11.Bd3 eventually developing the Knight to e2. Black can avoid this with 5.e3 h6 6.Bh4 Ne4. I am not sure about White's extra options here: 7.Bxe7 Qxe7 8.Nge2 is quite original. So 5.Rc1 is also to be considered.
All this probably won't work against Anand either, but how often are you going to meet him?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/05/11 at 20:08:04
Post Tools
avoid it with the exchange!?!?
zatara

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

How to combat the Lasker Variation?
01/05/11 at 18:35:42
Post Tools
Hi,

I hate admitting this, but the Lasker Variation (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5 4.Bg5 Be7 5.Nc3 h6 6.Bh4 Ne4) is giving me a terrible headache.

I read the commentary to the Topalov-Anand world championship game and it seems that the Lasker really does equalise on the spot.

How can white play for an advantage against this nefarious beast?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo