Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Are there openings everyone should learn first? (Read 54013 times)
Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Re: Are there openings everyone should learn first?
Reply #9 - 01/27/11 at 04:00:56
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/26/11 at 19:49:09:
[quote author=17233E3C213423510 link=1295922755/0#0 date=1295922755]
There's a whole theory behind this that has been fully enunciated by me and my acolytes in old threads that I can't be bothered to find right now, as well as a set poorly reasoned counterarguments made by some well-meaning persons with, unfortunately, only a dim understanding of this game.

Now was that really necessary?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 01/26/11 at 23:24:02
Post Tools
Isolated Queen's Pawn and active piece play.
I am a bit more tolerant than Markovich in this respect - the Benkö as Black is not a bad choice either for a beginner - but emphasis must be on simple strategy: find decent squares for all your pieces.
That's much harder in the NID/QID and many variations of the QGD. Take for instance the Cambridge Springs. So nice, that early pressure against c3. And there are some funny tricks. But how is Black ever going to active that Bc8 ? Beneath a certain level (including mine) players should avoid problems like that.
Plus there is the Catalan, which requires subtle understanding.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

fanat
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 01/26/11 at 20:18:54
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/26/11 at 19:49:09:
Fromper wrote on 01/25/11 at 02:32:35:
Are there any openings that you think everyone should play, before moving on to more complex stuff? For instance, do you think everyone should put in some time answering 1. e4 with e5 to get a feel for open games before trying the Sicilian as black? Or is the QGD (as black) a necessary precursor to trying hypermodern responses to 1. d4? What openings do you think are prerequisites to know before trying what other openings?

Anyone would think you were new to the forum, since this question has been very often asked and answered, and also very often answered without even having been asked, in these pages.

To repeat for the 2,427th time the Markovich Doctrine, or Dogma as many would have it: new and improving players must play 1...e5 against 1.e4, particularly the black side of the Two Knights Defense, and must play the Tarrasch Defense against the closed systems.  On the White side there's a wider range of options, but the repertoire should emphasize sharp, open positions.  After they get up to 2100 or so, I don't care what they do; I'm not strong enough to coach people much higher than that; and that seems like a good time to start branching out.  Also if you don't care about improving your game, I don't care what you do.

There's a whole theory behind this that has been fully enunciated by me and my acolytes in old threads that I can't be bothered to find right now, as well as a set poorly reasoned counterarguments made by some well-meaning persons with, unfortunately, only a dim understanding of this game.

Why Tarrasch Defense? Why not QID/NID for instance or QGD?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #6 - 01/26/11 at 19:49:09
Post Tools
Are there any openings that you think everyone should play, before moving on to more complex stuff? For instance, do you think everyone should put in some time answering 1. e4 with e5 to get a feel for open games before trying the Sicilian as black? Or is the QGD (as black) a necessary precursor to trying hypermodern responses to 1. d4? What openings do you think are prerequisites to know before trying what other openings?

Anyone would think you were new to the forum, since this question has been very often asked and answered, and also very often answered without even having been asked, in these pages.

To repeat for the 2,427th time the Markovich Doctrine, or Dogma as many would have it: new and improving players must play 1...e5 against 1.e4, particularly the black side of the Two Knights Defense, and must play the Tarrasch Defense against the closed systems.  On the White side there's a wider range of options, but the repertoire should emphasize sharp, open positions.  After they get up to 2100 or so, I don't care what they do; I'm not strong enough to coach people much higher than that; and that seems like a good time to start branching out.  Also if you don't care about improving your game, I don't care what you do.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 01/26/11 at 17:12:32
Post Tools
Add play with blocked central pawn chains as well. To understand the typical pawn breaks, play on different sides, blocking/slowing down the other side's play, transitions to an open centre etc. in openings like the French, the King's Indian, the Stonewall etc. should be part of all players' education.

Even if one doesn't play any of those openings the structures can arise in so many different ways. But the classical gambits (or at least open centres with piece play) are even more essential, obviously.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Fausto Alava-Moreno

I Love Holistic Chess!!

Reply #4 - 01/26/11 at 16:43:12
Post Tools

I will also add the attack and defence of a "fianchetto" on "g3" or "g6" to the types of openings that mention MNb.

Because the themes on the attack and defence changes with the "fianchetted" bishop and the pawn chain.

--

Best regards, Fausto.
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 01/26/11 at 02:31:01
Post Tools
Are there any openings that you think everyone should play, before moving on to more complex stuff?

Not specific openings, but surely a certain type of openings.
Any aspiring player that never has played a classical development gambit is missing something essential. It's the quickest way to develop a feeling for the balance between material, time and force.
Same for isolated queen pawns. One has to play these from both sides - learning to use them to increase your activity and also how to destroy them.
Finally I would mention opposite castling.
It's not by accident that these types often lead to all kind of tactics. We all know how important these are.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/25/11 at 09:37:29
Post Tools

In order to become a GM, it's almost a prerequisite to understand 1.e4 e5 as either White or Black, the Carlsbad pawn formation, the Hedgehog setup and IQP positions.

I know you aren't aiming to become a GM, but it provides some direction regarding what openings are the most essential to understand. A possible 'starting' repertoire for a player wishing to understand these structures is 1.e4 (Alapin Sicilian, Ruy Lopez, Tarrasch French, Panov-Botvinnik Caro-Kann) as White, and 1.e4 e5, the Queen's Gambit Declined, and the Hedgehog (vs. 1.Nf3/c4) as Black. Note that this is not my personal recommendation, just a suggestion.

If I had a new player who needed a basic repertoire to get them up and running I might teach them the Open Games and QGD (Tarrasch or Classical depending on their style) as Black, and 1.e4 (Open Sicilian, Scotch Game, Exchange French, Exchange Caro-Kann) as White.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

chezzter

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/25/11 at 06:02:09
Post Tools
I have no idea about it at all. I think it may help to know atleast
1 open position opening (several specific variations arising out of each openings)
1 closed position opening  (French, Pirc)
1 semi open/semi closed opening (Petroff/Scandinavian, Sicilians)

to get the overall idea.

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Are there openings everyone should learn first?
01/25/11 at 02:32:35
Post Tools

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo